PDA

View Full Version : Goldin Auctions Larkin Glove

SSB15
07-06-2013, 06:23 PM
Despite the auction catalog stating that the Barry Larkin glove is game used, it is not a game used glove. It is a commemorative glove. I could not locate a photo of a similar color glove being used by Larkin.

To be fair to Goldin Auctions, the website has a link to the COA, which states no photos of Larkin using this glove could be found as well. John Taube and his group, once again, showed their trustworthiness in the grading process!!

ChrisCavalier
07-06-2013, 09:55 PM
Despite the auction catalog stating that the Barry Larkin glove is game used, it is not a game used glove. It is a commemorative glove. I could not locate a photo of a similar color glove being used by Larkin.

To be fair to Goldin Auctions, the website has a link to the COA, which states no photos of Larkin using this glove could be found as well. John Taube and his group, once again, showed their trustworthiness in the grading process!!
Hey Guys,

I know Ken is out with his family this evening. However, I did email him to let him know there was a question about the glove on the forum. He said that, as soon as he has the opportunity, he will review the post and respond.

Thanks to everyone for their patience and, again, Ken will get to it as soon as he is able to do so.

-Chris

KGoldin
07-06-2013, 10:23 PM
Hello Scott
I will say since you have my email and have emailed me questions in the past to help you with your bidding decisions, I am surprised and disappointed you did not email me this information and allow me to investigate it without a post. I did believe that was the proper protocol here, especially when someone such as myself is such an active , responsive and supportive member of GUU and all its members.

With that being said, I will forward this information to Taube and Esken to review. I think they were well aware of the fact this glove was commemorative but As I have learned from my direct experience dealing with players, that it does not always mean it was not used. It has been my DIRECT EXPERIENCE from dealing with players such as Cal Ripken jr, Ken Griffey Jr and Barry Bonds that I have provided them in the past with equipment that was used in the game for my marketing purposes, and it was game used/game worn, despite not being their 'norm'.
In this case, I am not the glove expert, but Esken is. I will refer this back to them, and if the glove is in any way different then the letter they wrote and that we posted on the site, it will be pulled. We post every LOA with the item so that each perspective bidder can read exactly what they state. I am also going to take the extra step of contacting Larkin's agent, who I know, and see if there was an occasion where a glove like this would have been used by Barry.

SSB15
07-07-2013, 10:17 AM
Ken:

Thank you for your email and concern. My problem with the catalog description is that it is listed as a game used glove and is probably not one. I understand that mistakes are made on occasion, which is why I mentioned that the COA, which is accessible on line mentions that the glove probably is not game used. I think that collectors need this knowledge. If Larkin's agent has a photo of him using the glove in a game, then I will bid on the glove myself. However, agents and players do not have the best memories on what equipment was used during a game or not used.

SSB15
07-07-2013, 03:54 PM
I had a long conversation with Ken Goldin about the glove. He is very concerned about the integrity of his auctions. According to Ken, a mistake was made when the copy writer wrote a description about the glove, which was based on preliminary information that it was a game used glove. When the authentication came back, it stated that there were no photo matches of the glove being used by Larkin in a game. For some reason the copy writer did not make the change in the printed catalog.

sportsnbikes
07-08-2013, 04:21 AM
I would have to agree with Ken here. You shouldn't just try and call someone out publicly without first trying to settle any "dispute" by first contacting the other person.

KGoldin
07-08-2013, 05:46 PM
Its OK. Scott and I had a good talk. I have edited the description, as well as contacted the bidders giving them the option of retracting their bids based on the PSA letter not reflecting what we were told (originally we were simply told 'its good' but then we have to wait a while for the exact details of the PSA letter, which came after the auction already opened and catalog was printed.)
As long as we get it right, THAT is what is important, and I do appreciate direct emails on these subjects at ken@goldinauctions.com

trsent
07-11-2013, 02:12 AM
http://www.gameuseduniverse.com/vb_forum/showthread.php?t=99

Too many people don't know about rule #16 - In instances where a forum member is identifying an item in the hobby they believe to have issues, the poster should clearly state their findings in the form of an opinion and provide adequate rationale for why they believe there is an issue. When possible, we recommend that the poster questioning an item attempt to contact the seller of the item and allow at least 24 hours for the seller to reply before posting. This will prevent postings that may be generated based on misunderstandings of an item. In addition, while this forum is designed to help educate collectors, we will not allow comments that accuse entities in the hobby of participating in any form of criminal wrong-doing. Any posts suggesting criminal wrong-doing should be brought to the attention of the moderators immediately.

SSB15
07-11-2013, 09:27 PM
I would have to agree with Ken here. You shouldn't just try and call someone out publicly without first trying to settle any "dispute" by first contacting the other person.
Ken did the right thing by contacting the potential buyers about the mistake that I located. The purpose of this forum is to educate collectors about the hobby and potential issues, which is the purpose of my post.

However, I am amazed by sportsnbikes comments about my post. A review of his posts clearly shows he makes complaints about items being sold and 3rd party authenticators. It appears it is ok for him to complain about certain items, but not for others to point out potential issues to collectors.

ctguy212003
07-12-2013, 06:57 AM
Bro honestly get a life. Ken went out of his way to research and change the description and contact all bidders. There is no other auction that would even do step one. He made good on everything and you still want to talk negative about him. Ken is the most honest auction owner I know plus he directly contacts us. Why don't you do is all a favor and stop the negativity. No one cares about your points and excuses. Everything is all fixed. Either buy the glove or be quiet. Your wasting valuable forum space with your childish rude and slandering comments.

GMEN92
07-12-2013, 10:55 AM
Bro honestly get a life. Ken went out of his way to research and change the description and contact all bidders. There is no other auction that would even do step one. He made good on everything and you still want to talk negative about him. Ken is the most honest auction owner I know plus he directly contacts us. Why don't you do is all a favor and stop the negativity. No one cares about your points and excuses. Everything is all fixed. Either buy the glove or be quiet. Your wasting valuable forum space with your childish rude and slandering comments.

+1...!!

commando
07-12-2013, 12:08 PM
Anyone who thinks that the research of game-used equipment should be a mistake-free science hasn't been in the hobby for long.

It is the duty of the teams to make sure players are on the field with serviceable equipment. Sometimes quick changes and alterations are made. Sometimes hasty replacements are created. Sometimes the players themselves decide to take to the field with unconventional items as an experiment.

It is the COLLECTING HOBBY that has tried to sterilize the parameters of what the "rules" of a game-used item should be. Now don't get me wrong, I feel that there are plenty of obvious fakes out there and we need to learn how to spot them. It is logical to assume that Taube, Kinunen, Miedema, etc. have made mistakes over the years, but they are still the best at what they do.

yanks12025
07-12-2013, 03:09 PM

What poster are you referring to?

ctguy212003
07-12-2013, 05:26 PM
The guy who started this whole thread and anyone who is trying to be a tough guy and trying to sabotage ken

KGoldin
07-12-2013, 06:21 PM
The guy who started this whole thread and anyone who is trying to be a tough guy and trying to sabotage ken

Thank you for the support, but I would rather get everything 100% right. My issue with the post was that as an active and vocal member, I could have been emailed so I would have been given the chance to research and make a correction in private. I have spoken to Scott as he stated, and my #1 concern is getting it right, which we have.
All I ask is if anyone has helpful information, now or ever, just email me at ken@goldinauctions.com

thanks

tella27
07-12-2013, 08:20 PM
I think Ken is a good guy and his auction house is one of the best I've worked with - I have a couple jerseys listed with him now. I do see the posts on here about other auction houses and the lack of research they do and how they post things - profit driven and not so much quality driven. Its nice to see that Ken took the time to not only look into the problem but also keep the forum up to date on things.

sportsnbikes
07-14-2013, 02:33 AM
Ken did the right thing by contacting the potential buyers about the mistake that I located. The purpose of this forum is to educate collectors about the hobby and potential issues, which is the purpose of my post.

However, I am amazed by sportsnbikes comments about my post. A review of his posts clearly shows he makes complaints about items being sold and 3rd party authenticators. It appears it is ok for him to complain about certain items, but not for others to point out potential issues to collectors.

Are those companies active members here? Do I have a way to reach out to them privately? Your statement about me is silly. Yep, I have complained about 3rd party authenticators. I don't think I'm the only one who ever has. However you're the only one I've seen openly try to discredit a site sponser and active contributing member when there is a means to reach them privately. With that being said, I'm glad to see Ken was able to clarify the issue. BTW, complaining about a high price isn't anywhere near the same as trying to call someone out on integrity.

abstractheory
07-14-2013, 10:14 AM
Are those companies active members here? Do I have a way to reach out to them privately? Your statement about me is silly. Yep, I have complained about 3rd party authenticators. I don't think I'm the only one who ever has. However you're the only one I've seen openly try to discredit a site sponser and active contributing member when there is a means to reach them privately. With that being said, I'm glad to see Ken was able to clarify the issue. BTW, complaining about a high price isn't anywhere near the same as trying to call someone out on integrity.

IMO, complaining about high prices is just as silly. sorry.

sportsnbikes
07-14-2013, 04:34 PM
IMO, complaining about high prices is just as silly. sorry.

That's your opinion and I respect that. I disagree and that's my opinion. I don't know that you've read my posts but either way that's cool. A complaint about a high price is nothing like trying to call out a reputable auctioneer. Those are apples and oranges, IMO. There's really nothing more to say here for me personally. As I stated before, I was glad that Ken was able to clarify any mix up. That's all that really matters at this point.

SSB15
07-14-2013, 05:40 PM
That's your opinion and I respect that. I disagree and that's my opinion. I don't know that you've read my posts but either way that's cool. A complaint about a high price is nothing like trying to call out a reputable auctioneer. Those are apples and oranges, IMO. There's really nothing more to say here for me personally. As I stated before, I was glad that Ken was able to clarify any mix up. That's all that really matters at this point.

No one even knew there was an issue until I caught the mistake!! I appreciate Ken acknowledging the mistake and fixing it. There has been no slander as has been alleged. The truth is a defense.

Informing other collectors was the sole reason for the post. I have nothing against Ken personally and will continue to bid in his auctions. I, like all of you, want to make sure that the item I am bidding on is actually the item advertised.

sportsnbikes
07-14-2013, 06:29 PM
No one even knew there was an issue until I caught the mistake!! I appreciate Ken acknowledging the mistake and fixing it. There has been no slander as has been alleged. The truth is a defense.

Informing other collectors was the sole reason for the post. I have nothing against Ken personally and will continue to bid in his auctions. I, like all of you, want to make sure that the item I am bidding on is actually the item advertised.

Yes we all know you caught the mistake as you have repeatedly stated. Only point being made on this side is that you could've went about it differently by sending him a private message rather than blast him on a forum. We can agree to disagree and call it done. I hope you get everything that you bid on.

hairyangryfella
07-15-2013, 12:22 PM
To be honest, rather than just seeing "item withdrawn", threads like these can be handy if down the line the same items come back to market being sold as something they might not be.