PDA

View Full Version : 1989 Mike Schmidt Set 1 Jersey on Ebay

KTroublesome
07-08-2013, 11:00 PM
Does anyone out there know if this is legit or not? I know the auction is over im just curious to see what others say.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/300931084416

KGoldin
07-09-2013, 09:05 AM
It is a score Board jersey
Authentic for an autographed jersey
But ordered by score board under contract with schmidt

KGoldin
07-09-2013, 01:50 PM
As the guy who ordered the Schmidt jerseys for Score board, I can assure you this is one of them, all tagged size 44 1989 set 1 and signed on front .

this jersey never saw the inside of a stadium unless it was worn by a fan to older Veterans stadium

KTroublesome
07-09-2013, 04:14 PM
As the guy who ordered the Schmidt jerseys for Score board, I can assure you this is one of them, all tagged size 44 1989 set 1 and signed on front .

this jersey never saw the inside of a stadium unless it was worn by a fan to older Veterans stadium

Thanks a lot Ken.

flaco1801
07-11-2013, 07:46 AM
Ken...how do you feel when these shirts are sold as game worn?...unsuspecting fans are paying a lot of money for nothing more than retail replicas....I know you had no way of knowing what was going to happen,but they were originally sold as authentic....Maybe a sticky with photos of all the "scoreboards" your company sold would be helpful to help new collectors from getting separated from their hard earned money

KGoldin
07-11-2013, 10:20 AM
Hello Jeff
I will answer your question although I do not like the way it was stated, phrased, or implied.
Score Board Was a publicly held company. It has not been around since late 1998, and my last day there was in July 1997. I do not have access to its records, its old inventory, etc. All of that was sold at bankruptcy. It is not 'my company' it never was, it was a publicly held company and as obvious by my departure 16 years ago, I did not own it, although I was a stockholder.

When score board started signing players to contracts in 1988, it was industry changing, in fact it created the mass market for autographs, and access to athletes.
When rawlings provided jerseys to score board, because score board has the athletes under contract, they shipped the jerseys with tagging and set #s. I do not have access to every jersey that was provided that way, off top of my head I know most of them, and have posted the names in the past. The jerseys were sold by score board as authentic autographed jerseys, "not game worn" the hobby was in its infancy then, and no one certainly in the company, or industry knew what would happen over the next 25 years. No one ever contacted score board, nor did anyone ever contact Rawlings and suggest tagging be different, or something be changed. I believe the policy stopped in 1992.
People have counterfeited SB certs since they went out of business, and create them for illegal purposes saying anything on them, I have seen certifcates supposedly from score board for athletes that never even signed for SB or were under contract. I hate to see it, but I know it is the act of criminals. As far as the jerseys, when questions come up, I answer them. I feel in a similar manner, I guess, as a liquor store owner would feel every time he sees a story about a drunk driver, or a gun store owner feels when a gun bought legally is used for criminal purposes. People who are criminals are going to act they way they act. With respect to the certificates and autographs with fake certs, I actually am working on an initiative with PSA/DNA that is going to be announced in the next 2 weeks to try to combat this.
The jerseys, 25 years ago, were not sold as a way to deceive the public, nor were they sold that way. They were sold as authentic autographed jerseys, every ad stated not game worn, they were mass marketed in retail catalogs such as jc penny and sharper image, as well as on TV. There was no confusing them with game equipment. No one could have imagined what would happen 25 years later. I have constantly come on the board to answer questions about them, and to be honest am really insulted by your post.
I hope this answers your question

otismalibu
07-11-2013, 10:37 AM
I'm stockpiling these until Ken offers some sort of buy back program. ;)

http://i209.photobucket.com/albums/bb110/otismalibu/th_SB_zps67fe736e.jpg (http://s209.photobucket.com/user/otismalibu/media/SB_zps67fe736e.jpg.html)

ChrisCavalier
07-11-2013, 10:42 AM
Just as a quick follow-up to Ken's post, I had spoken with Ken about this question almost a year ago and he offered to come on the Game Used Universe forum to try to address this topic. He has posted on here previously and has offered to help anyone who has a question with Scoreboard related items.

I know the Scoreboard people who initially issued these jerseys did not plan on unscrupulous people coming in later in an attempt to deceive and swindle collectors. However, as Ken has stated, no one knew what the market was going to look like 25 years after these items were issued.

Hopefully this answers the question on here. In the future, if you have any questions about any Scoreboard related items and need Ken's help for any reason, please feel free to email him at ken@goldinauctions.com. As I think everyone has already seen, you can be rest assured Ken will respond to your email in a highly expeditious manner.

-Chris

mbrieve
07-11-2013, 11:08 AM
Hello Jeff
I will answer your question although I do not like the way it was stated, phrased, or implied.
Score Board Was a publicly held company. It has not been around since late 1998, and my last day there was in July 1997. I do not have access to its records, its old inventory, etc. All of that was sold at bankruptcy. It is not 'my company' it never was, it was a publicly held company and as obvious by my departure 16 years ago, I did not own it, although I was a stockholder.

When score board started signing players to contracts in 1988, it was industry changing, in fact it created the mass market for autographs, and access to athletes.
When rawlings provided jerseys to score board, because score board has the athletes under contract, they shipped the jerseys with tagging and set #s. I do not have access to every jersey that was provided that way, off top of my head I know most of them, and have posted the names in the past. The jerseys were sold by score board as authentic autographed jerseys, "not game worn" the hobby was in its infancy then, and no one certainly in the company, or industry knew what would happen over the next 25 years. No one ever contacted score board, nor did anyone ever contact Rawlings and suggest tagging be different, or something be changed. I believe the policy stopped in 1992.
People have counterfeited SB certs since they went out of business, and create them for illegal purposes saying anything on them, I have seen certifcates supposedly from score board for athletes that never even signed for SB or were under contract. I hate to see it, but I know it is the act of criminals. As far as the jerseys, when questions come up, I answer them. I feel in a similar manner, I guess, as a liquor store owner would feel every time he sees a story about a drunk driver, or a gun store owner feels when a gun bought legally is used for criminal purposes. People who are criminals are going to act they way they act. With respect to the certificates and autographs with fake certs, I actually am working on an initiative with PSA/DNA that is going to be announced in the next 2 weeks to try to combat this.
The jerseys, 25 years ago, were not sold as a way to deceive the public, nor were they sold that way. They were sold as authentic autographed jerseys, every ad stated not game worn, they were mass marketed in retail catalogs such as jc penny and sharper image, as well as on TV. There was no confusing them with game equipment. No one could have imagined what would happen 25 years later. I have constantly come on the board to answer questions about them, and to be honest am really insulted by your post.
I hope this answers your question

I thought the original question was worded poorly, but I didn't take it as a slam/dig. Your answer showed the amount of time you have been thinking about this very subject.

In my eyes, these are great jerseys that some knowingly or unknowingly try to sell as game used or game issued. In some way it should almost be flattering that this quality of a product was offered to collectors 20-25 years ago (and is still a great product, as long as the buyer and seller know what they are dealing with).

Thanks, Ken, for chiming in. Very insightful!

Lmeadows
07-11-2013, 02:20 PM
Its very easy. On every Phillies jersey in 1989 there was 5 lines in the wash codes. This one only has 3. They did not switch to 3 lines until 1990.

sox83cubs84
07-11-2013, 07:59 PM
Its very easy. On every Phillies jersey in 1989 there was 5 lines in the wash codes. This one only has 3. They did not switch to 3 lines until 1990.

The 3-line tag is on every Score Board 1989 jersey I have ever encountered. I've seen maybe 3 1989 gamers with the three-line tag and all were commons ordered after the season started.

Dave Miedema