PDA

View Full Version : Rudy-how About This Blue Jays "gem"???

hblakewolf
11-20-2006, 12:27 PM
Rudy-
It simply does not get any better than this! An amzing Jays vintage jersey being offered by one of the best in the business, Broadway Rick!

http://cgi.ebay.com/Ron-Fairly-Toronto-Blue-Jays-Game-Used-Worn-Jersey_W0QQitemZ290052323472QQihZ019QQcategoryZ605 97QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

FYI

Howard Wolf
hblakewolf@patmedia.net

kingjammy24
11-20-2006, 10:44 PM
wow a 1977 road gamer huh. that's something.

anyway, the 1977 style was a one-year style only. here's how they should look:

http://img165.imageshack.us/img165/165/77xz2.jpg

the blue jays never used that number font seen in the ebay auction.
the interesting thing is that kim stigall currently has a jersey up ( http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=220049354031 ) that bears this same number font. kim is calling his jersey a minor league jersey. it may be but in my experience the minor league jerseys always used the same fonts (front and back) that the major league club did. these jerseys are using fonts that the major league club never did. i suspect they're retail jerseys. the only place i've ever seen that wacky font was on jays' retail jerseys.

rudy.

cjw
11-21-2006, 12:46 PM
Thanks for the info Rudy. I am looking for 1977 Jays gamer and though this one looked odd.

TNTtoys
11-21-2006, 01:04 PM
Has anyone written to the seller about this discrepancy? The jersey is being bid up on the notion that it is a 1977 gamer.

Once I saw Rudy's post, I removed it from my watch list, but I would imagine that there are many watchers out there not privy to this information.

kingjammy24
11-21-2006, 03:07 PM
the thing is, almost everyone is privy to this information. they may not be privy to this Forum, but they're certainly privy to easily finding out how a 1977 jays road gamer should look. ebay itself has pictures of baseball cards showing this specific jersey. whether or not they actually do that work is up to them. i have to think that when the front script on a jersey is wrong, the back numbers are wrong, and it's missing a strip tag and flag tag, then anyone who buys it as a gamer has only themselves to blame. the errors with this jersey aren't subtle or complex. the entire thing is an aberration. it wouldn't take much effort for anyone to find this out on their own. it's one of those items that causes me to wonder why anyone is bidding on it. who buys a jersey without knowing how it should look?

rudy.

SiddFinch
11-23-2006, 11:22 AM
Hello, newbie here. Complete rookie to game used jerseys. Been lurking for a bit. Heard about GUU from NextLevelTalk.com

I was watching this jersey, thought it didn't match any pics I had, and then I found this thread. I ASQ'ed the seller and got a canned Auto-Response including this classic non-denial-denial.

"** If you are asking about the authenticity of an item:
We stand behind the items that we sell. If you purchase an item from us and it fails to pass authentication (by a recognized authenticator), we will accept the item for return and refund your purchase price (we cannot refund any amounts above the actual purchase price)."

So their policy seems to be: we can sell whatever we want, and call it whatever we want regardless fo the evidence against our claim, you buy it and prove we're wrong. Lovely. If this represents "one of the best in the business" that doesn't say much for the state of the business, but I''ll have to take your word for it.

I hate seeing people get ripped off, even if its out of their own ignorance or over-exuberance. I contacted the high bidder at the time with a link to this thread, and his bid is now retracted, but several other lemmings bid right behind him.