PDA

View Full Version : Pirates jersey on eBay

slab0meat
07-17-2013, 02:09 PM
http://www.ebay.com/itm/1982-PITTSBURGH-PIRATES-BILL-MADLOCK-GAME-USED-BASEBALL-JERSEY-/290947360214?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item43bdd065d6#ht_1526wt_919

I've only found one to compare it against, and it's not exactly the same.. so price aside, I'm more curious if everything looks OK with this?

hrvatwill
07-17-2013, 03:19 PM
http://www.ebay.com/itm/1982-PITTSBURGH-PIRATES-BILL-MADLOCK-GAME-USED-BASEBALL-JERSEY-/290947360214?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item43bdd065d6#ht_1526wt_919

I've only found one to compare it against, and it's not exactly the same.. so price aside, I'm more curious if everything looks OK with this?

I've owned a couple gold jerseys over the years and the swatch on the tail and Wilson tag in the collar look correct to me. My biggest question with respect to this particular jersey was whether it had been restored, as most of these jerseys were recycled into the minors, so you rarely see one with an original nameplate. To that end I asked the seller and he responded that it was all original.

slab0meat
07-17-2013, 03:36 PM
I've owned a couple gold jerseys over the years and the swatch on the tail and Wilson tag in the collar look correct to me. My biggest question with respect to this particular jersey was whether it had been restored, as most of these jerseys were recycled into the minors, so you rarely see one with an original nameplate. To that end I asked the seller and he responded that it was all original.

I'd asked the same question yesterday, and the seller kindly relisted it with reference to the item number that he(?) won it from recently. The only comparison I'd found was a Stargell from Grey Flannel. However the Wilson tag was in a different spot.

http://catalog.greyflannelauctions.com/LotDetail.aspx?lotid=29033

lon lewis
07-17-2013, 05:57 PM
I think you guys may want to note the following for what it's worth.

1 the NOB has been replaced/ added. you can tell by both the stitching and the color of thread that shows on the inside. Also, the material doesn't appear to match color wise.

2- The numbers appear to be standard 4" front and 8" on the back- the Pirates used a taller version ( almost 5" on the front and almost 9" on the back) on those pullovers.

3- The set tag is bogus. See the attached scan of 2 actual '82 tags to see what they should look like look and how the Wilson chain stitch looks compared to what's on the jersey. The tag on the jersey appears to be of the same material as the plate and doesn't really match the jersey body, is stitched different than the original Wilson tags are and the chainstitching itself doesn't match what came out of Wilson.

4- Based on the photos, I think that the "Pirates" letters are off sized.

sox83cubs84
07-17-2013, 08:22 PM
The strip tag font is nothing like what the Pirates use on gamers of the era. Lon's photos show the proper font for the tail strip tag. Avoid this one.

Dave Miedema

mrozie
07-17-2013, 09:38 PM
Check out the May 2012 Heritage auction lot for the 1978-82 jerseys with the right tagging. Lot # 81544

slab0meat
07-18-2013, 08:16 AM
I'm glad (in a way) that my doubts were proven to be correct. I appreciate you guys chiming in with the info. Always learning something new around here.

:)