PDA

View Full Version : Advice needed. How to store flannel

Misha
07-18-2013, 06:07 AM
So I just bought my first flannel jersey and I need to keep it in storage for a long time (years). What is the safest way to do this? I'm worried about things like silverfish, moths, etc nibbling at it. Is it ok to put in a ziploc? I have no idea. Thanks for any advice what to do or what not to do. (My modern jerseys are all in ziplocs. Is this okay?)

abstractheory
07-18-2013, 07:11 AM
the plastic used for ziplock type bags has less than 1 part per 1000 acid content........barely there. There are papers out there that have more than that and are considered acid free. Acid and sunlight are two major factors to consider when storing.

dcgreg25
07-18-2013, 08:48 AM
abstract is right about the acid content in bags, however I would be careful for long-term storage of a flannel in a sealed back as any moisture that gets trapped could be problematic. While it may be overkill depending on the collector's personal opinion, etc. below is a link to a post on jersey storage/preservation that focuses on higher-end items and long-term preservation.

http://www.gameuseduniverse.com/vb_forum/showthread.php?t=34195&page=4

Misha
07-19-2013, 04:24 AM
Thanks for the advice! I read the long thread that was linked and found it very interesting. Moisture shouldn't be a problem, nor sunlight, now I'm worried about creasing since I folded the jerseys in individual ziplocs. The vacuum bags seem a good solution to lay them out flat without taking much space.

BVC
03-21-2014, 08:46 PM
I have had them in my closet for over ten years, and never any problems - I put them in the zipper plastic garment bags, and with put a couple of cedar rings at the top, or stuff a few of the small anti-moth sachets up around the top. Moths have never touched them, even when I introduced them into my home with some old fedoras.

Misha
03-23-2014, 04:48 AM
I have had them in my closet for over ten years, and never any problems - I put them in the zipper plastic garment bags, and with put a couple of cedar rings at the top, or stuff a few of the small anti-moth sachets up around the top. Moths have never touched them, even when I introduced them into my home with some old fedoras.

Thank you for the advice. I'm going to the US in May, so I'll finally be able to see/deal with everything I've bought in the past 12 months and had shipped to my parents address.