PDA

View Full Version : 79 Munson Set 3 Pants?

Eric
12-14-2005, 11:42 PM
Hey everyone-

I had a question and I'm not sure if anyone would have an answer to this. In Leland's current auction they have a set of game used Thurman Munson Set 3 1979 Pants.

Here is the description
Home pinstripes with nice use (pilling on the knee). This was set 3 for the year and could be the last pair of home pants that he ever wore. Tagging inside the waist is Wilson size 35 1/2 and strip tag with “Munson 79 3 22.”

Munson played 97 games in 1979- (He died in a plane crash Aug 2, 1979). How likely is it that a player used uniform set 3 in 90+ games?

I'm not asking it as a leading question, I honestly do not know the answer.
Thanks
Eric

JETEFAN
12-15-2005, 09:16 AM
Hi,
I had the same question several months ago on a different player, after much trouble I was able to reach a club house employee with the Yanks. I was told that the players have access to as many as 2 or 3 sets at any given time. The uniforms are not always given to the players in set order, and they go back and forth during the year. If your on a hot streak with set 2, set 1 might not see any playing time! That was what I was told, hope it helps.
George

JimCaravello
12-15-2005, 10:08 AM
Hi Eric - I had the same question when I saw those, but because they are cathcer's pants, it would not surprise me to see a set three - even if they were for about 45 or 50 homes games before Munson died. Some people are "hard on shoes" - I think Munson was hard on his jersey and pants playing the cathcer position. If Munson played any other position, I would maybe question them, but I bet they are fine.....just an opinion - I am no expert here on this issue. Jim