PDA

View Full Version : Rawlings MLB Batting Helmets

xpress34
07-25-2013, 12:11 AM
For those that may be wondering and haven't seen a GU MLB Batting Helmet up close before, I just wanted to share these 3:

2006 Clint Barmes GU - Old Style
Spring Training used - 1st Gen Cool Flo
2013 Nolan Arenado GU - S100PCSO

First up the Old Style helmet. Heavy, no vents, and very little padding.

xpress34
07-25-2013, 12:14 AM
Next up the 1st Gen Cool Flow Helmet.

Lighter Weight
Vented
Still light on padding

xpress34
07-25-2013, 12:18 AM
I do not have a 1st Gen S100 (the oversize helmet like David Wright use to wear) to show, so we will go right to the S100PCSO which was put into play this year.

Carbon Fiber (Lightweight)
Increased resistance to damge (rated to take 100mph heat vs. 68 mph heat)
Much better padding

xpress34
07-25-2013, 12:24 AM
I have also been told that the 'liner' material in the new helmets (it's very thin and covers the entire inside of the helmet) is Kevlar and that is why they cost so much.

I am also showing a pic of the ear flap on the Arenado S100PCSO and a picture of him from his MLB debut. This was how I know the helmet was used in Spring Training as well...

Wrigley2010
07-25-2013, 01:40 AM
Been thinking about adding a game used helmet to my collection and I just learned a lot of new information about them from your thread, thank you!

icollectDCsports
07-25-2013, 09:50 AM
xpress34 -- Thanks for posting these photos. Can you give dimensions of the new style helmet? I'm wondering how much larger they are than the older helmets.

xpress34
07-30-2013, 02:21 PM
xpress34 -- Thanks for posting these photos. Can you give dimensions of the new style helmet? I'm wondering how much larger they are than the older helmets.

Actually the new helmets are the same size as the old style and the Cool Flo version.

By changing materials (Carbon Fiber), they were able to keep the helmet a smaller size while increasing it's tensile strength.

emann
07-30-2013, 03:37 PM
Smitty-

I have an example of the original S100 (bought mainly as I think these will be a rare/interesting style in the history of helmets). I'll post photos if you think they're of use for this thread, they basically look like bicycle helmets, pretty wild.

Is the interior liner cracking on the inside of the S100PCSO? It looks like it... I had heard they had issues with the ones tested out in 2012 breaking with minimal use (I think they didn't have them fully tested yet and now they seem to be fine).

xpress34
07-30-2013, 03:53 PM
Smitty-

I have an example of the original S100 (bought mainly as I think these will be a rare/interesting style in the history of helmets). I'll post photos if you think they're of use for this thread, they basically look like bicycle helmets, pretty wild.

Is the interior liner cracking on the inside of the S100PCSO? It looks like it... I had heard they had issues with the ones tested out in 2012 breaking with minimal use (I think they didn't have them fully tested yet and now they seem to be fine).

Post up your photos please!

As far as the interior lining, I was originally informed it was Kevlar, but a friend said it is actually a secondary layer of Carbon Fiber. So, not cracking, that's just how they look inside.