PDA

View Full Version : Green Bay Packers are nothing more than high school players...

Wrigley2010
07-25-2013, 01:55 AM
Huge Bears fan so that should explain the title ;). The link below is an interesting story about a photo sold as the earliest known Packers action photo but turned out to actually be nothing more than a high school game. I want to add that Mears auctions handled this with the utmost class and I commend Troy Kinunen for his swift response to this matter.

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nfl-shutdown-corner/fan-buys-1921-packers-photo-4-674-really-135319996.html

mickeymbz
07-25-2013, 02:20 AM
will..what other recourse did he have???!!!,,,,,LMFAO!

Wrigley2010
07-25-2013, 03:31 AM
will..what other recourse did he have???!!!,,,,,LMFAO!

I never inferred that Mears had another avenue they could have pursued. I thought it was a classy move to have a formal response and full refund offered less than 24 hours after the story broke.

commando
07-25-2013, 10:03 AM
I have sold several items through MEARS Auctions over the past few years. If any of these vintage items had "anecdotal" provenance or any kind of inconsistency with tagging, alterations, etc., Troy and MEARS would ALWAYS list the items in a conservative way and make no assumptions.

Mistakes do happen, however. If you've ever tried to research a photo almost a hundred years old, you'll now what I'm talking about. Feeling comfortable with a 2012 Packers helmet, complete with reconditioning stickers, a receipt from the gift shop and letter from the team, is much different than collecting pre-war rudimentary relics. The really sad thing is that once the ironclad line of provenance is lost, a pre-war item worth $25,000 or more becomes just another old football helmet or jersey.