Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • coachnip13@aol.com
    • Jul 2013

1981 Alan Trammell game used jersey dilemma

Hi guys, new to the board with an issue that is perplexing to me.

I own an Alan Trammell jersey from 1981. As a kid I worked as a bat boy for the Tigers during spring training, and I was allowed to take various items that no one had any use for any more.

Here is my issue. As you well know, major league jerseys were recycled to be used by minor leaguers during spring training. The "TRAMMELL" name was stitched directly to the jersey. In order to fit a normal replacement nameplate on the back, they cut the "T" off the beginning and the "L" off the end. That nameplate has since been removed. So I have a 1981 #3 jersey with "RAMMEL" stitched on the back, with slight discoloration where the nameplate did not allow that part of the jersey to fade. My question is, would a collector rather have the jersey in its current state, or should I have it restored? I don't want any perception at all that I attempted to fool someone by taking it away from its original state.

I have a feeling that a 1981 Trammel jersey has some value to Tiger collectors out there, but I want to do it the right way. Thanks for any advice.

I'm doing this from my phone and will be glad to post pictures tomorrow.
  • commando
    • Nov 2007

Re: 1981 Alan Trammell game used jersey dilemma

Originally posted by coachnip13@aol.com

I own an Alan Trammell jersey from 1981. As a kid I worked as a bat boy for the Tigers during spring training, and I was allowed to take various items that no one had any use for any more.

Here is my issue. As you well know, major league jerseys were recycled to be used by minor leaguers during spring training. The "TRAMMELL" name was stitched directly to the jersey. In order to fit a normal replacement nameplate on the back, they cut the "T" off the beginning and the "L" off the end. That nameplate has since been removed. So I have a 1981 #3 jersey with "RAMMEL" stitched on the back, with slight discoloration where the nameplate did not allow that part of the jersey to fade. My question is, would a collector rather have the jersey in its current state, or should I have it restored? I don't want any perception at all that I attempted to fool someone by taking it away from its original state.

I have a feeling that a 1981 Trammel jersey has some value to Tiger collectors out there, but I want to do it the right way. Thanks for any advice.

You yourself are a great source of provenance for the jersey. It would be great if you happened to have a few photos of yourself during your time working for the team. Personally, I would send the jersey to fellow GUU member Lon Lewis, who would do a world-class job restoring the name. Maybe Lon would be kind enough to include a short letter explaining exactly what he did to the jersey to add to the chain of provenance.

I believe the restoration of the missing letters, if done correctly by the likes of Lon Lewis, will increase the value of the jersey.
    sigpic
    Anthony Nunez
    Historian, USFL Houston Gamblers
    www.Houston-Gamblers.com

Comment

• TwinLakesPark
      • Nov 2012

Originally posted by coachnip13@aol.com

I would love to see photos of the jersey and please let me know if you are interested in selling it.

wesholden at gmail dot com

Wes

Comment

• coachnip13@aol.com
        • Jul 2013

Thanks for the feedback so far. Commando, I do indeed have photos of myself from those days. The most depressing part is the hindsight. I had access to all of that stuff, and could have had a lot more. And it was all legitimate. At that time, no one thought twice about some old jersey that was passed down to the minors, so it was mine for the taking.

Here are some photos:

Comment

• spartanservitto
          • May 2010

Man I would love that jersey. My favorite tiger ever.

-Tony
          sigpic
          Always looking for ALEX AVILA, ALBERT PUJOLS, HOME RUN BATS, and any high end gamers from 90's-00's stars.

Tony Servitto
          My Email: servitto84@yahoo.com
          My Website: http://vitosbatsandmemorabilia.webs.com/

Comment

• spartanservitto
            • May 2010

The thumbs down was an accident , on my phone lol.

-Tony
            sigpic
            Always looking for ALEX AVILA, ALBERT PUJOLS, HOME RUN BATS, and any high end gamers from 90's-00's stars.

Tony Servitto

Comment

• mbrieve
              • Jul 2008

I would get it restored and consign it to a top auction house (i.e. Goldin Auctions). That way you know you are getting top value for it.

Comment

• emann
                • Nov 2008

Originally posted by mbrieve
                I would get it restored and consign it to a top auction house (i.e. Goldin Auctions). That way you know you are getting top value for it.
                +1

Comment

• coachnip13@aol.com
                  • Jul 2013

Again, thanks for the tips guys. I sent an email to Mr. Lewis about a week ago, but have not heard back from him yet. Hopefully it's a project he would like to do.

Comment

• yosef777
                    • Apr 2009

I would advise against 'restoring' it as it is a one of a kind as is and IMO more valuable. Generally speaking in regards to antiques/memoriabilia, restoring/replacing decreases the value of an object especialy one like yours which has such great provenance.

Comment

• commando
                      • Nov 2007

Originally posted by yosef777
                      I would advise against 'restoring' it as it is a one of a kind as is and IMO more valuable. Generally speaking in regards to antiques/memoriabilia, restoring/replacing decreases the value of an object especialy one like yours which has such great provenance.
                      I have to respectfully disagree, Yosef. A serious collector looking for a Trammell jersey with ironclad provenance like this one won't be bothered by the restoration of two letters (hopefully just those two letters can be added, versus having to redo the entire name). I can guarantee that a grail jersey such as this would be proudly displayed by a future buyer. On that note, the jersey would display much better with a complete name on the back.
                      sigpic
                      Anthony Nunez
                      Historian, USFL Houston Gamblers
                      www.Houston-Gamblers.com

Comment

• yosef777
                        • Apr 2009

I agree for general 'display' purposes the restoration makes sense but not in terms of its value. Any restoration/addition you do (besides basic preservation) to an item whether it is a jersey or any type of antique and you run the risk of devaluing the item. That is Antiques 101, and while I understand sports memorabilia may be in a different category from antiques paintings or furniture I would still consider what major auction houses (Sotheby's, Christies, etc.) recommend with high end sports memorablia, leave the item as found.

Comment

• spartanservitto
                          • May 2010

I would
                          Not want to display it as "rammel"
                          sigpic

Tony Servitto

Comment

• mdube16
                            • Jun 2007

I would leave the decision to restore/not restore to the next owner if your purpose was to sell it at all quickly. I would think you already likely have some potential buyers here.

Comment

• yankees159
                              • Aug 2005

I recall that the Tigers placed a third tag in their jersey from this era to indicate the Bin # that they stored the jersey in. Am I correct in this assumption? Would love to get insight from the expertise of this site.

Comment

Working...