PDA

View Full Version : Steve Carltonm 1977 Road Jersey(????)

hblakewolf
11-22-2006, 10:19 AM
Forum Readers-

As a follow-up to my previous post on the 1986/7 Schmidt jersey on Ebay, I bring your attention to this gem, also offered by the same seller: A 1977 Phillies Carlton road jersey:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Steve-Carlton-1977-game-used-road-jersey-PHILLIES-auto_W0QQitemZ230055460660QQihZ013QQcategoryZ60597 QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Several of you have sent me emails asking the same questions I have:

1. The collar should be lined with a "silk" type material. This has knit. Satin lining was incorporated during the 1977 season.

2. The Wilson tag is post 1980. Note the registration mark being on the bottom of the N.

3. White zipper. I contacted the seller, and he indicated it appears to have been replaced. Another red flag. When the jerseys were used for many years in the minors, the zipper often broke. I have seen white zippers on Phillies jerseys, however, only when they were used for several seasons after the Phillies sent them to their minor league teams. I have NEVER seen the Phillies use a white zipper on a jersey as a replacement for the traditional metal. If this jersey was sent down, the wear on the P and 32's woul.d be extensive. Likewise, the nameplate would have been removed from the back and either restored, or the original plate re-sewn. The plate would be darker, as the shirt would have faded from the extensive use during the years in the minors. The plate material appears to match perfectly.

4. Size 44. Carlton wore size 46 during the 1977 season through his departure in 1986.

I currently have 2 Phillies Carlton jerseys in my collection and have sold close to a dozen in the last 20 years. Based on my experience and jerseys I have obtained directly from the Phillies, I'm not sure what exactly this is, however, I can assure you it is not a team issued, game worn 1977 Carlton Phillies jersey.

FYI

Howard Wolf
hblakewolf@patmedia.net

hblakewolf
11-22-2006, 12:35 PM
Forum Readers-Similar to the Schmidt jersey being removed, the seller has also removed the original listing that offerd the 1977 Carlton and now replaced it with a "1979 Maroon Carlton BP".

The items go from bad to worse.

The current "1979 Carlton Pre-game" also has major problems.

The small 32 on the sleeve should match the larger 32 on back. Wilson incorporated the same style tackle twill numbers on the sleeve/back. Take a look at the 2-the back number is curved and the sleeve is not. I have sold over 100 of these Wilson brand pre-games, and EVERY jersey had matching numbers.

Also, the Wilson tag is post 1981 and the jersey is described as 1979.

One can only guess how long until this listing is also changed.

Howard Wolf
hblakewolf@patmedia.net

hblakewolf
11-22-2006, 08:27 PM
It appears the seller removed the shirt and has substituted a bat.

Howard Wolf
hblakewolf@patmedia.net

sportscentury
11-25-2006, 10:58 PM
Howard and others,

Sorry for the late response. I did see that jersey when it was first listed. As you know, it looks nothing like the picture-perfect 1977 Carlton road jersey that I own (and that you kindly inspected yourself). Hopefully, that is the last we'll see of that bogus shirt, but it will probably turn up again.

A belated happy Thanksgiving to you and others,

Reid