PDA

View Full Version : How do you Display Stitches?

trsent
08-01-2013, 11:55 PM
I am working on a charity project and I had the actual stitches from a player that they received during a major sporting event.

I am framing these with a photograph of the player but I'm having a hard time figuring out how to attach them to something to properly frame. My framer suggested maybe we use clear tape, like medical tape that we put the stitches between two clear pieces of tape to display in the frame.

I'll give more details once the auction launches. 100% of the final bid price will be donated to The V Foundation for Cancer Research with the money specifically going for breast cancer research.

Does anyone have any other ideas? They are like flies, not easy to display!

Dewey2007
08-02-2013, 12:22 AM
Where were the stitches located? Maybe you can get a mannequin body part of the same area the stitches were located and display them on the mannequin piece and depending on how large it is maybe you can shadow box it.

Mulligans
08-02-2013, 05:52 AM
I think between 2 thin pieces of glass or plexi would be better than tape. It should then be pretty easy to incorporate the clear piece into the matting or framing......good luck!

Jags Fan Dan
08-02-2013, 05:56 AM
I think between 2 thin pieces of glass or plexi would be better than tape. It should then be pretty easy to incorporate the clear piece into the matting or framing......good luck!

Yeah, maybe one of the screw-down lucite card cases would work?

trsent
08-02-2013, 08:12 AM
Good ideas. As for the mannequin, I want to frame this with an 8x10 photograph as I don't want the piece to be too large to ship safely. I will ask my framer Monday about putting it between two pieces of glass or something like that. I'm at The National the next 2-3 days so I'll look for various holders there to see if I find any.

Any other ideas, please post them!

Thanks guys!

mbrieve
08-02-2013, 09:03 AM
I think Mulligans and Jags Fan have it right. That seems like a more long-lasting solution than relying on tape.

otismalibu
08-02-2013, 09:41 AM
I'm only comfortable buying used stitches from MeiGray. Each one has a unique serial number.

nomarmauerfan
08-02-2013, 09:48 AM
I would try and put them between microscope slides.

Mike

esigs
08-02-2013, 02:11 PM

+1

Also, you may want to place a picture of the athlete with the stitches in between the glass & place the stitches over the picture. If a picture of the athlete with stitches is not available, I would use another picture of the athlete & place the stiches where they were supposed to be.

DJaeger22
08-06-2013, 02:52 PM
Is this what you're a part of?

http://espn.go.com/chicago/nhl/story/_/id/9544270/andrew-shaw-chicago-blackhawks-auction-stitches-v-foundation

Texans
08-06-2013, 04:45 PM
http://www.dnainfo.com/chicago/20130806/chicago/blackhawks-andrew-shaw-auction-facial-stitches-from-game-6-charity

camarokids
08-06-2013, 07:08 PM
What about those round clear cases that MLB puts game used dirt in? Also, some put game used bat sawdust in them too.

They are pretty small, about an inch and a half in diameter.

trsent
08-06-2013, 11:40 PM
Yes, we announced the fundraiser last night. Our Facebook page is:

https://www.facebook.com/shawstitches

I'm happy to see how much early publicity we have received over the announcement of the auction that will run for ten days starting August 15th, 2013.

My framer decided to keep the stitches in the packaging I had them in with a white background. I'm picking up the frame next week and I'm excited to see how it all turns out looking.

jake33
08-07-2013, 09:29 AM
I saw a mention of these stitches on comcast sports net in chicago on tv this morning

cjw
08-08-2013, 08:13 AM
To each there own, but doesn't anyone else think this is ridiculous? Who the heck wants to own stitches!?

packfan84
08-08-2013, 01:31 PM
I agree with the guy above. I hope it makes a lot of money, but what's next? Bandaids, casts, teeth?

trsent
08-12-2013, 03:59 AM
To each there own, but doesn't anyone else think this is ridiculous? Who the heck wants to own stitches!?

I am sorry you don't like the idea of a player giving back to the community with 100% of the final bid price going directly to The Jimmy V Foundation for Cancer Research.

When we start the auction Thursday night hopefully you will change your mind when you see the nice display the piece will come in.

cjw
08-12-2013, 07:39 AM
I am sorry you don't like the idea of a player giving back to the community with 100% of the final bid price going directly to The Jimmy V Foundation for Cancer Research.

When we start the auction Thursday night hopefully you will change your mind when you see the nice display the piece will come in.

I hope it did well for the charity. I do not dislike the notion of a player giving back to his/her community - that is great, but these are things that are collected in the mainstream and things that are not. Could he have not auctioned off a some of his personal time- perhaps a skate and dinner with the winner. Would that not have been a widely desirable prize and one to garner bidder interest?

I like the idea and the fund raising, just fell the product is stupid. My 2 cents.

mbrieve
08-12-2013, 09:57 AM
I hope it did well for the charity. I do not dislike the notion of a player giving back to his/her community - that is great, but these are things that are collected in the mainstream and things that are not. Could he have not auctioned off a some of his personal time- perhaps a skate and dinner with the winner. Would that not have been a widely desirable prize and one to garner bidder interest?

I like the idea and the fund raising, just fell the product is stupid. My 2 cents.

You make a huge assumption that this is the only donation Andrew Shaw is making (or has made in the past).

I'm not a Blackhawks fan (or much of a fan of hockey for that matter), but it seems this was a pivotal point in the series, he got some stitches and got back out on the ice. Do stitches appeal to everyone? Probably not, but I'm sure there are more than a couple Blackhawks' fans that view this as a one-of-a-kind piece and would proudly display it. Oddball items have always been a part of this hobby and I, for one, think this is pretty cool.

Would it fit in my collection? No, but I don't feel the need to denigrate those who would like to add it to their collection and donate to charity at the same time.

nevrdiez34
08-12-2013, 10:49 AM
You make a huge assumption that this is the only donation Andrew Shaw is making (or has made in the past).

I'm not a Blackhawks fan (or much of a fan of hockey for that matter), but it seems this was a pivotal point in the series, he got some stitches and got back out on the ice. Do stitches appeal to everyone? Probably not, but I'm sure there are more than a couple Blackhawks' fans that view this as a one-of-a-kind piece and would proudly display it. Oddball items have always been a part of this hobby and I, for one, think this is pretty cool.

Would it fit in my collection? No, but I don't feel the need to denigrate those who would like to add it to their collection and donate to charity at the same time.

+1 I think people are WAY too quick to call an item stupid or try to discredit an item. Just because you don't like it and won't bid on it doesn't mean plenty of others would. I never understood the need to put in your two cents when the item doesn't appeal to you. Why take the time to put it down? Different strokes...

cjw
08-12-2013, 12:53 PM
+1 I think people are WAY too quick to call an item stupid or try to discredit an item. Just because you don't like it and won't bid on it doesn't mean plenty of others would. I never understood the need to put in your two cents when the item doesn't appeal to you. Why take the time to put it down? Different strokes...

Easy folks. I am stating my thoughts on what I feel is a ridiculous auction item on a public forum. The above poster commenting that he can't understand why someone would comment on an item that doesn't appeal to them is a tad ironic - as he is taking the time to comment that I am wrong and the item does appeal to him.

Bottom line - I wish the seller, auction, athlete and charity all the best. Crazy, oddball item - bidders, have fun.

cjw
08-12-2013, 01:06 PM
Apparently, I not alone in my opinion. From the auction's FB page (3 of 6 comments seem to suggest that this is a ridiculous item). And for the record, the Chris that commented isn't me.

Pls understand that I think donating items for charitable causes is very worthwhile, and the athlete may have donated a ton of items elsewhere, which would be awesome - it's jus that this item sucks.

http://i1166.photobucket.com/albums/q612/Jays9293/E3EFD6D2-8635-431A-AC37-A39AD23636D2-1206-000000660DC0399D_zps265df758.jpg

nevrdiez34
08-12-2013, 01:17 PM
Apparently, I not alone in my opinion. From the auction's FB page (3 of 6 comments seem to suggest that this is a ridiculous item). And for the record, the Chris that commented isn't me.

Pls understand that I think donating items for charitable causes is very worthwhile, and the athlete may have donated a ton of items elsewhere, which would be awesome - it's jus that this item sucks.

http://i1166.photobucket.com/albums/q612/Jays9293/E3EFD6D2-8635-431A-AC37-A39AD23636D2-1206-000000660DC0399D_zps265df758.jpg

I never indicated you were the only person with that opinion. My statement was in general, not a direct shot at you and you only, but obviously if you decided to take it so personal and strongly, it must apply. There are a lot of people who think collecting anything game used is stupid, so I am not surprised at all by the reaction of a few on the FB page. And for the record, I am not interested in the stitches, but I do think degrading an item because you don't want it is pretty arbitrary.

trsent
08-12-2013, 01:28 PM
I like this reporter's views on the auction:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TGhh2_SVxIU

cjw
08-12-2013, 03:21 PM
I never indicated you were the only person with that opinion. My statement was in general, not a direct shot at you and you only, but obviously if you decided to take it so personal and strongly, it must apply. There are a lot of people who think collecting anything game used is stupid, so I am not surprised at all by the reaction of a few on the FB page. And for the record, I am not interested in the stitches, but I do think degrading an item because you don't want it is pretty arbitrary.

Not taken personally at all. I like discourse and value other people's opinions on this and any other topic. I am not attempting to be rude but I feel that auctioning off such an item actually degrades the game used collecting hobby in a way. Game- chewed gum or game stitches are, in my estimation, laughable items on the outer fringes of collectibility; akin to jersey swatch cards and those with tiny cubes of bats and hockey sticks etc.

Bid away and enjoy them in your collection - I think it is nothing but a sad novelty item, akin to a pet rock.

cjw
08-12-2013, 03:34 PM
I like this reporter's views on the auction:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TGhh2_SVxIU

Have to disagree with the reporter's assertion that what The athlete is doing "is an amazing thing". Millions of people donate time, money, services, goods etc every year to untold charities. This is the right thing to do. I myself support - MS Society, Pitch in For Baseball, Movember cancer awareness etc and I happy to do so.

"An amazing thing" would be to give up his Stanley Cup worn jersey (may be has has? I wouldn't fault him if he didn't want to however as he has obviously worked hard to reach that pinnacle). "Amazing things" don't include giving throwaway pieces of thread and a singed photo to a cause - I would call that a nice thing.

I still applaud te athlete for doing so however, I think that he would give the charity more funds to work with if he had chosen (or hadn't been convinced) to donate such a lame item. Again, maybe this is just one of many items the athlete has donated?

nevrdiez34
08-12-2013, 03:46 PM
Have to disagree with the reporter's assertion that what The athlete is doing "is an amazing thing". Millions of people donate time, money, services, goods etc every year to untold charities. This is the right thing to do. I myself support - MS Society, Pitch in For Baseball, Movember cancer awareness etc and I happy to do so.

"An amazing thing" would be to give up his Stanley Cup worn jersey (may be has has? I wouldn't fault him if he didn't want to however as he has obviously worked hard to reach that pinnacle). "Amazing things" don't include giving throwaway pieces of thread and a singed photo to a cause - I would call that a nice thing.

I still applaud te athlete for doing so however, I think that he would give the charity more funds to work with if he had chosen (or hadn't been convinced) to donate such a lame item. Again, maybe this is just one of many items the athlete has donated?

I really wish I had that much time on my hands. Keep beating that dead horse man, you and the others will only be giving that pet rock more and more publicity. Personally I don't judge what others choose to donate to a good cause.

MercyMe78
08-12-2013, 04:32 PM
not really sure how an item can suck if its helping drive awareness to the charity.. a "regular" item won't do this.

cjw
08-12-2013, 07:27 PM
I really wish I had that much time on my hands. Keep beating that dead horse man, you and the others will only be giving that pet rock more and more publicity. Personally I don't judge what others choose to donate to a good cause.

You seem to have exactly the same amount of spare time as I; as you are matching me post for post. I doubt this thread is upping the level of exposure the auction will receive in a meaningful way, but if so, fantastic. It will need all the help it can get to locate more fringe-item collectors to bid on this and to bring in some meaningfully dollars.

cjw
08-12-2013, 07:30 PM
not really sure how an item can suck if its helping drive awareness to the charity.. a "regular" item won't do this.

I agree that a regular item (like a signed photo) work drive interest in an auction. Do you think the charity needs more awareness or do people understand that cancer research is a meaningful charity to support? I would say that they need $ and this item ain't gonna fill the coifers I'm afraid.

cjw
08-12-2013, 07:32 PM
By the way - apologies for the typos. Heck - I apologize if I offended anyone with my opinion about this subject. I truly hope the auction goes well and will be pleased if it does.

64SHEA
08-13-2013, 12:12 AM
I don't know anything about ice hockey so I am not really sure of the importance of the moment but the first thing I thought of was Curt Schilling's bloody sock. When I saw it at the hof I thought "that thing must stink". If I remember correctly it sold for almost $100,000.

nevrdiez34
08-16-2013, 08:03 AM
Seems like this item will make a pretty penny for the Jimmy V Foundation...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=321185418649&ssPageName=ADME:B:FSEL:US:1123

swainer
08-16-2013, 08:23 AM
Seems like this item will make a pretty penny for the Jimmy V Foundation...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=321185418649&ssPageName=ADME:B:FSEL:US:1123

Thanks for providing the link. Wow, what a great display. The piece looks fantastic. And all of the other additional items provided if you win this auction (jersey, pucks, signed photos) not to mention the final bid price is being matched 2 to 1. What a win win.

Congrats Joel! This is a great thing and I hope it brings in well over $5K. And this is coming from a Red Wings fan that despises Shaw and his amazing hockey abilities. Clearly he is an even better person.

Peace!

John

cjw
08-25-2013, 11:58 PM
Let me be the first to admit that I was wrong. There are people who feel this is a great item.

6500 is a lot of cake. Nicely done for the charity.

flaco1801
08-26-2013, 07:27 AM
the idea of a player giving back to the community.....he gave garbage away and someone with more money than they need donated for a good cause...would be nice if i was famous i could donate my trash and not pay for sanitation, hmmm how about leaves?.. i am glad the money was donated...

mbrieve
08-26-2013, 09:03 PM
Let me be the first to admit that I was wrong. There are people who feel this is a great item.

6500 is a lot of cake. Nicely done for the charity.

It takes a big man to admit when they are wrong.

Well, done with coming up with this (crazy) idea and raising a good chunk of change for cancer research!

ChrisCavalier
08-26-2013, 10:27 PM
Well done with coming up with this (crazy) idea and raising a good chunk of change for cancer research!
Agreed. Nice job Joel!

-Chris

MLB~NUT
08-27-2013, 02:36 PM

Definitely creepy!:rolleyes: Over here in this frame are my Game Used Stiches! Sounds even weirder....

MLB~NUT
08-27-2013, 02:41 PM
Glad $ was raised for a cause...

trsent
08-28-2013, 01:53 AM
Thanks everyone for your kind words.

I have been very pleased with how this project has worked for the past three weeks as the press has been very positive for the event. I just sent over $6500.00 to The V Foundation for Cancer Research and I should have another $700-$800 to send them in the next few days once everyone pays for the other 64 lots we auctioned off.

The high bidder, Grant DePorter who is CEO of Harry Caray's chain of Chicagoland restaurants was the high bidder and the Andrew Shaw Stitches Display will proudly be on display at his Navy Pier location.

Andrew Shaw will personally be delivering the stitches the first week of September to Harry Caray's Restaurant.

Charity makes everyone feel better and I can't think of too many better foundations than The V Foundation for Cancer Research. They are self supported now, which means that every dollar donated goes right to cancer research grants! Amazing.

Samets
08-28-2013, 06:22 AM
It will be displayed next to the toilet seat autographed by the Cubs in the back of that location according to the show he was on this morning...

trsent
08-29-2013, 11:52 PM
It will be displayed next to the toilet seat autographed by the Cubs in the back of that location according to the show he was on this morning...

Yes, it will be placed away from people eating at the restaurant. Like the collectible autographed Cubs toilet seat, they decided items like this shouldn't be in plain view from people eating their meals.