PDA

View Full Version : I need help and will pay 30$ to get it!!

arjos
08-02-2013, 06:45 PM
I need an expert in NFL helmets and jerseys, the raiders in particular. I am looking to purchase a Mike davis helmet on ebay and I need for someone to give me their best opinion on weather it is legit or not. My address is sarjo64@att.net Our agreement is only for your help, not if I buy it or not, and I am not asking for a guarantee. if it works out I will use you again for jerseys, memorabila etc. I am getting more knowledgeable about the hobby but I am still light years away from where I want to be.
Steve
Always looking to purchase unique Raider items
Here is the URL:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Official-NFL-Raiders-Helmet-Super-Bowl-XV-Used-by-Mike-Davis-Red-Right-88-/130933988821?pt=US_Autographs&hash=item1e7c461dd5

yosef777
08-03-2013, 11:48 AM
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Mike-Davis-SB-XV-XVIII-Autographed-Oakland-Raiders-8x10-Photo-/380637812514?pt=US_Autographs&hash=item589fc81722

From a quick Getty images and ebay search I confirmed Davis wore a Bike helmet with the appropriate green dot, Schutt NOPO, double wire mask (although he did wear a different version later). Also, seems like at some point he changed the jawpads to the leather pair similiar to the ones currently on the helmet in question (see above ebay photo link for evidence). The stock Bike jawpads are white vinyl like the rest of the foam interior padding in the helmet.

Not sure that is enough to satify your needs but I would have to question the asking price of $3K as it seems way out of touch with what the market would warrant. IMO, Mike Davis was a solid player for a number of years with no pro bowl or any other special accolades on his resume. Unless you HAVE to have this piece I would offer between $500-1000.

BTW, this is a strictly 'gratis' opinion offered by another helmet collector for the benefit of a fellow member of the forum and I mean no ill will to any of the parties involved.

bgakladd
08-03-2013, 09:36 PM
Check out Youtube Mistake By The Lake-Browns vs. Raiders 1980 video. Stop at 1:01 of 1:48 and again when the interception is made at 1:40 area of the 1:48 sections. The placement of the Raiders decal on the right side is set back more in the video in my opinion. No idea if the helmet was reconditioned and reused again any time after this game. Not looking for any money, just hoping it helps. Let me know what you think.

arjos
08-04-2013, 02:39 PM
Thanks to both of you for the help, I really learned something. As for the price of the helmet I had no intention of offering them that kind of money. If it was legit I was going to counter offer. As for the label bgakladd showed me another way to check identity. The seller said the Helmet was used in superbowl 15 and not the cleveland game. So i found a video bill king superbowl 15 on you tube. At 11.32 into the video you can see Mike davis very clearly and the shield is not lined up with the ear hole the way other helmets are. IT seems to match the helmet very well. Even my wife seemed to enjoy the investigation involved in authenticating. Without both of you contributing your knowledge and time I would have never inspected it further. thanks again P.s. if I can help either of you in any way my email address is there for you.

http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=bill+king+superbowl+15&oq=bill+king+superbowl+15&gs_l=youtube.3...5562.12540.0.13856.22.21.0.1.1.0. 398.2161.15j5j0j1.21.0...0.0...1ac.1.11.youtube.q5 Jf4hdiZnU