PDA

View Full Version : Number Change affect value of jersey?

Dawg Pound
08-06-2013, 08:26 PM
Just curious, what are your feelings about the value of a game used jersey of a player who changes his number? I have a few jerseys where during their rookie years wear a particular number and then switch when either a high profile free agent is signed or their favorite number becomes available. Does it make the old number jersey more or less valuable? I have an opportunity to acquire another jersey of a player who played two seasons under one number and six seasons with a different number. I'm torn and cant decide if I want it. Also, having a hard time determining the fair value. My initial thought is that the jersey is less valuable...but at the same time its more rare so maybe it makes it more valuable. Please help post your thoughts!

G1X
08-07-2013, 12:20 AM
From a value standpoint, my thought is that the number that the player is most famous for wearing will be the most valuable in most cases. Of course, if you had a #24 Lance Alworth from his first season in San Diego, a #6 Mickey Mantle, or a #5 Hank Aaron, I don't think that it would matter :)

On a personal level, I have several baseball jerseys of players who wore a different number their first season, and I really like the shirts because of the uniqueness. In the long run, they probably won't be as valuable as the jerseys with the player's more recognized uniform number, but I couldn't carry less about that aspect of the jerseys.

Mark Hayne
Gridiron Exchange
gixc@verizon.net