PDA

View Full Version : Ripken Pre-game???

hblakewolf
11-22-2006, 04:33 PM
Forum Readers-
I bring your attention to a "Mid-1990's Cal Ripken Orioles game worn pre-game" being offered in the current American Memorabila auction:

http://www.americanmemorabilia.com/Auctions.asp?auccat=Baseball+Game%2DUsed&AucListType=open&TitleDesc=0&period=&tfm_orderby=&tfm_order=&offset=130

One major problem-it is a Rawlings brand jersey.

The Orioles wore Majestic and Russell pre-games, not Rawlings. Likewise, note the Rawlings logo on the sleeve. I dare someone to locate a photo of any Baltimore Orioles player in the "mid 1990's" wearing a Rawlings pre-game such as this. You'll only see pre-games with the Majestic or Russell logo on the sleeve.

These Rawlings pre-games were worn by the O's minor league teams and were sold for $25. retail from Hartel Sports.

FYI

Howard Wolf
hblakewolf@patmedia.net

allstarsplus
11-22-2006, 05:12 PM
Howard - Sports stores in the area sold jerseys similar to these made by Nike. Is it possible that someone took a $25 minor league jersey and switched the tags or do you think there was a #8 size 46 player in the farm system that wore it?

I think Cal was a size 48 for the mid-90s.

Andrew

skipcareyisfat
11-22-2006, 05:15 PM
Howard, you're way off on this one. Lampson looked at so it has to be good. How about a little respect for the great and powerful LOU!

Just kidding, of course.

Maybe we should start referring to Lampson's LOAs as LOUs - Letters of Unathenticity. A grammatically incorrect phrase seems appropriate for a guy who's made a career out of being incorrect.

bigtime59
11-23-2006, 10:47 AM
Howard:
You are correct. This is a minor league jersey, most likely Bluefield. It makes a strong case for retired numbers to be retired system-wide, don't you think?
Mark
bigtime39@aol.com

allstarsplus
11-23-2006, 12:09 PM
Typical auction with poor editing too. The title reads Early 2000s Cal Ripken Jr. Game-Worn Batting Practice Jersey while the description reads This black mesh batting practice pullover was worn by Ripken in the early '90s.

So is it early 2000's or early 1990's? I guess it doesn't matter much as it looks like there is almost no likelihood Cal ever wore this uni.

The jersey is a Size 46 in the description and Cal wore a size 48.

hblakewolf
11-25-2006, 08:02 AM
I brought this issue to the attention of Victor (owner, AMI) via his website email. As of today, the jersey listing remains UNCHANGED and I have not had a response.

FYI

Howard Wolf
hblakewolf@patmedia.net

hblakewolf
11-27-2006, 11:11 AM
Forum Readers-

I spoke with several of you who phoned me about this jersey over the last few days and was hopeful I would be able to provide additional insight about it once the folks at American Memorabila provided a response. I'm sorry to say, as of this posting, I have not had any type of response to our concerns. Orioles expert Mark Sutton noted in an earlier post that it is a minor league Bluefield jersey, not Baltimore jersey. Possibly the folks at AMI have additional info. that will allow us to understand how it remains listed as a "Ripken jersey" and likewise, how Lampson can provide a LOA as such.

Howard Wolf
hblakewolf@patmedia.net

RobSteinmetz
11-28-2006, 12:38 PM
I emailed Tony at AMI and I believe the Ripken has been pulled from the auction.

kingjammy24
03-07-2008, 07:29 PM
http://vintageauthentics.at.truition.com/cgi-bin/ncommerce3/ProductDisplay?prrfnbr=92116512&prmenbr=57735959&aunbr=92463222

rudy.

kingjammy24
04-17-2008, 05:25 PM
VA: High Bid: $ 361.11

now on ebay: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=170211435632

rudy.

ndevlin
04-17-2008, 05:36 PM
That jersey looks like junk, pure junk!

bigtime59
04-18-2008, 09:01 AM
That jersey looks like junk, pure junk!

Rawlings don't make junk, son! :D

What you have here seems to be a fairly nice (I guess, all the photos have been rather overexposed) Orioles MINOR LEAGUE BP jersey. Worth about $30 to $50. It isn't what people are claiming it is, but it isn't "junk".

Mark
bigtime39@aol.com

ndevlin
04-18-2008, 09:26 AM
Haha, sounds kinda like junk to me.

frikativ54
04-19-2008, 04:28 AM
VA: High Bid: $ 361.11

now on ebay: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=170211435632

rudy.

BIDDER PLEASE READ: Sales of items from The714Gallery and HisPerfectGift are "as is" and final, with no returns, exchanges or refunds allowed. The certification, authentication and opinions of the items we sell (when listed in the auction description) often come from third-party sources involving individual appraisals that are subjective and require the exercise of a professional opinion, which can change from time to time. Accordingly, while utilizing great care in acquiring the items we sell from reputable sources, The714Gallery and HisPerfectGift assumes no liability whatsoever regarding their authenticity and there are no warranties, express or implied, which extend beyond those stated herein.

Hmmm...private auction too! I'll take it. :rolleyes:

cohibasmoker
04-19-2008, 07:53 AM
Just another example of a GUU member sitting behind their computer ranting, raving and instigating.

It's very bad for the hobby.

Jim