PDA

View Full Version : 2013 NFL jerseys, NO LONGER 2-TONE

jake33
08-09-2013, 10:21 AM
I was surprised last year that the NFL allowed those hideous 2-tone collars on several uniforms last year. I hated that Nike litterally dictated the design on the uniform by doing that. The only thing tha tI think a uniform manufacture should do is suggest materials that should be used. But when Nike messed with the color of the colalrs, they actually changed the appearnce of the uniform, whcih i think is not what they should eb doing at all. They should design the sideline gear, or gloves, and retail items, but I thought doing that was a little arrogant on their part.

Regardless, i am not sure if the NFL stepped in or what, but it sure looks like the league as a whole fixed those stupid 2-tone collars to basically make the flywire collar stick out so they could market Nike's Flywire collar technology. Just froma quick view of some 2013 preseason games, it looks like someone made an effort to make a good sized change.

I haven't seen every team, but noticed the Ravens, Bucs and Broncos made a switch. I find it insteresting though, as I really liked the all black collars on the Bucs jerseys, as it matched the black sleeve cuffs great. Now the Buccaneers have switched to all white. I think it almost makes the jersye incomplete by not being black.... Anyways, see the 2012 vs 2013 photos below....

jake33
08-09-2013, 10:27 AM
Also, Nike had a lot of time to get this right, and after 1 year they have a league wide change? After that giant unvieling too. Seems a little dumb to not be able to understand the simplicity that the NFL likes to have for the look of their overall product.

Anotehr Nike botch I think is the new Jaguars helmets. After listening to the PR BS that a Nike spokeperson said about the new look for the JAgs uniforms, he alluded to the Jaguars being a hunting preditor that comes out fo the darkness and into the light - to paraphrase him. Intersting that he said that the uniform will have elements to bring that out. Really? Because those UGLY Jaguar helmets that are the first NFL helmet to have a color fade, actually go from the LIGHT to the Dark as it goes forward. I am amazed how with Nike's financial backbone, focus groups, design team, product development, can make a huge presentation and still screw up the overall "message" those new uniforms were trying to put out there.

jake33
08-09-2013, 10:34 AM
So I guess with all of the collar change, I wonde rhow this will

1) effect the market for those 10 years from now when fans look backa t those neck role - 2tone collars

2) will they be a sought after NFLgame used item?

abstractheory
08-09-2013, 10:37 AM
I actually like the 2012 Broncos' collar better than the '13 version. the solid color just looks too thick and blocky. But, to be honest, until you pointed it out, I didn't even notice. At least the '12's will be easy to date now.

abstractheory
08-09-2013, 10:41 AM
....That and the fact that the already have the date on the inside :o

Samets
08-09-2013, 10:55 AM
I wonder if the Chicago Bears dictated the solid color choice or Nike decided not to mess with the classic look...

jake33
08-09-2013, 12:29 PM
I believe that was the Bears Choice, since Nike wanted to mess with the Redskins last season and they are up there for historic/classic looking jerseys that had minor updates over the years, somewhat like the Bears

Anabolicollege17
08-09-2013, 03:10 PM
Lol I'm one of the minority who liked the neck roll. I hate the solid color neck on white jerseys only. It makes the collar look huge like the texans jerseys.

Heres another pic I snapped last night and posted in broncos thread yesterday.

Anabolicollege17
08-11-2013, 08:26 PM
Anyone check the bills collars? They are awesome and every team that have colored collars should of went non fly wire. Fly wire should be for teams that don't have it like the home solid color jerseys. They look good when single colored. But to get rid of teams that had colored collars like the buccs, ex is stupid. They should of just made them non fly wire.

MLB~NUT
08-11-2013, 08:59 PM
What's the lines on the collar near the NFL Logo??? And what's its purpose???:confused:

JDubbs73
08-11-2013, 09:29 PM
Nike "Flywire" to supposedly provide stretch resistance to the collar. It's an odd addition for sure. Some teams opted out of using it.

http://help-en-us.swoosh.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/22889/p/3568

MLB~NUT
08-11-2013, 09:33 PM
Ok, thanks Jdubbs;)

abstractheory
08-12-2013, 04:05 AM
Nike "Flywire" to supposedly provide stretch resistance to the collar. It's an odd addition for sure. Some teams opted out of using it.

http://help-en-us.swoosh.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/22889/p/3568

Interesting... Do you know which teams? I thought they all had it.

The stretch resistance? Was it designed to stop the shoulder pad from easily popping out when pulled? Because I still see a lot of that happening.

abstractheory
08-12-2013, 04:08 AM
Nevermind:o

It Would help if I clicked on your provided link first.

JDubbs73
08-12-2013, 08:05 AM
Interesting... Do you know which teams? I thought they all had it.

Good catch abstractheory! I was lazy or tired when I read the link. Looks like they all used the Flywire last year. Appears some teams opted out of other Nike design features.

John in KY
08-12-2013, 10:42 AM
Just to clear things up - teams that never had a contrasting collar like the Bears, Chiefs, Steelers, etc. never had that half-collar treatment in the new template. Others were given options - the Lions, for example, just decided to drop their former contrasting collar on the new template. Other teams had Nike modify the template with a knit collar - Patriots did this, as did the Cowboys for their navy jeseys (not the fauxback, the one with the silver stripes on the sleeve). Also while the Texans chose to use a fully-colored large collar they didn't do the flywire. Finally some teams just said no to the Nike template - those being the Packers, Eagles, Panthers, Falcons and Raiders who stuck with their old-style uniform cuts.

There are still some teams with the Nike half-collar for 2013 - the Bengals, Saints, and Rams are sticking with it (although it kind of works on the Bengals given their tiger stripe design). The teams that dropped the half-collar look are the Ravens, Chargers, Redskins white jersey (the burgundy jerseys never had it), Broncos (went with the full contrast collar) and the Bills (went to the knit collar like the Patriots and Cowboys navy).

The three new designs were done without the half-collar - the Dolphins (they had it on the white jerseys only in 2012), the Vikings, and the Jaguars.

John in KY
08-12-2013, 10:43 AM
Since you can't edit a post here:( I neglected to mention that the Buccaneers also dropped the half-collar this year.

Anabolicollege17
08-12-2013, 01:54 PM
nice info john. I was wondering why the Texans was posted on the link, and could never put my finger on what they opted out on from full out tweak to elite51. But now that you mentioned it, it was the fly wire collar. I always assumed they had flywire use because of how dumb and bulky there collar looked. I'm pretty sure nike did the 2 tone because the single contrast tone of whole collar looks super big. When they tone it from contrast to white it blends in with the jersey more and the collar doesn't look huge. Thats why I liked the 2-tones on white jerseys of the teams that used color collars. Just look at the Broncos for example. Now that they ditched the navy to white collar, the collar looks huge all 1 color navy.

Anabolicollege17
08-12-2013, 01:56 PM
haha I just read how confusing my last post may sound. But it does make sense to those who know what I'm talking about haha