PDA

View Full Version : Eckersley Indians Jersey - 1978

misteremu
08-12-2013, 07:51 AM
Hello,

I own a Set 1 1978 Cleveland Indians jersey of # 42 Bob Owchinko. You can see (not in the photos but under light and close inspection) that the jersey was recycled, and the former name on the jersey was "Eckersley" and his former # was on there as well.

Dennis was traded on March 30th, 1978 to the Red Sox...I was wondering if he could have possibly used this in spring training 1978 or did they hold off using set 1 jerseys till the regular season (maybe this was prepared for his use in the regular season and once he was traded, they used it for Owchinko)?

Was wondering if there would be any 1978 spring training photos in existance out there? Any insight from fourm memebrrs would be appreicated.

Thanks,

Eric

sox83cubs84
08-12-2013, 07:30 PM
It was probably the 1978 regular season before this jersey saw use, as in the era, the custom was to use the previous season's uniform in a given year's spring training. No doubt the jersey was made for Eckersley, but it's highly unlikely he wore it in March.

I once owned a somewhat similar Eck jersey...a 1987 Cubs home with no number change and issued without a NOB...which I don't doubt was made for Eck to use, but a spring training deal that sent him to Oakland prevented that. The jersey was worn later in 1987 by an obscure Cubs pitcher.

Dave Miedema

misteremu
08-12-2013, 09:03 PM
Dave,

Thanks for the info! If nothing else the jersey has a good story to it and a retired #42 to boot.

Thanks,

Eric