PDA

View Full Version : 1991 Boggs "G/U" home jersey from his collection?

emann
08-12-2013, 10:01 PM
This was offered up by Celebzdirect from the Wade Boggs collection today. Described as a 1991 home jersey made by Rawlings (who never made home jerseys) and with Boggs NOB (which has never happened) but sold as "G/U"...

Serves as a postscript to these threads:

http://www.gameuseduniverse.com/vb_forum/showthread.php?t=55972

http://www.gameuseduniverse.com/vb_forum/showthread.php?p=329161

bradleysupplies
08-12-2013, 11:50 PM
emann -

Just wanted to be clear. You are saying Rawlings was not the manufacturer and the name on the back was not used for the home jerseys? Was there any jersey, but maybe different year, that would fit this photo/description?

Thanks...

emann
08-13-2013, 12:42 AM
emann -

Just wanted to be clear. You are saying Rawlings was not the manufacturer and the name on the back was not used for the home jerseys? Was there any jersey, but maybe different year, that would fit this photo/description?

Thanks...

Correct. Rawlings never made home jerseys for the Red Sox. Rawlings did make the gray road jerseys from 87-91, but the home whites were made by Wilson from 1979 on (until Russell took over both home & road in 1992).

Also, the Sox have never had the name on back of the home whites during a game. Possible this was some sort of salesman sample or prototype for Rawlings (maybe Dave Miedema can chime in)...

spartanservitto
08-13-2013, 06:48 AM
Someone should email them for an explanation.

-Tony

JackHE
08-13-2013, 07:31 AM
Not sure about this item, but the Marcus Allen supposed GU jersey sold by them a couple weeks ago was at best a Retail Authentic.

JE

TwinLakesPark
08-13-2013, 07:33 AM
I just spoke with Scot about this jersey and it is being retracted. It was presented to him as game used with a pile of jerseys from Wade. I am sure he would still be willing to sell it and have it autographed as a nice display piece. I would chalk this up to Wade being a pack rat and Scot not doing his homework on the jersey.

sportscentury
08-13-2013, 08:49 AM
I just spoke with Scot about this jersey and it is being retracted. It was presented to him as game used with a pile of jerseys from Wade. I am sure he would still be willing to sell it and have it autographed as a nice display piece. I would chalk this up to Wade being a pack rat and Scot not doing his homework on the jersey.

Is that Scot Monette of Authentic Sports Investments (ASI)? I saw you wrote "Scot" with one "t", which is why I ask.

Smarte87
08-13-2013, 10:05 AM
It is indeed Scot Monette

mbrieve
08-13-2013, 11:04 AM

Does this make anybody else uneasy? I know mistakes happen, but if they were wrong on this item (which had some major issues), can they be trusted fully on the rest of the stuff?

akrover
08-13-2013, 01:31 PM
I could see how people would think this is troubling. Especially if you had bought something from Boggs. Forget the rawlings part, anyone in the business of game used baseball uniforms (or a person who played for the sox & has been quick to call 'fake' on any jersey of his not coming directly from him) should know the Red Sox do not wear names on their home jerseys. I mean, it's one of the most iconic uniforms in sports. If you can get that wrong...

sox83cubs84
08-13-2013, 05:18 PM
Not a gamer. PERIOD! NOBs do not exist on any standard home Bosox jerseys.

Dave Miedema

lengthwise1
08-14-2013, 05:43 PM
I mean, it's one of the most iconic uniforms in sports. If you can get that wrong...

my thought exactly