PDA

View Full Version : Awesome Yastrzemski Bat Auction

soxbats
08-14-2013, 09:08 PM
Simply Unforgettable. Awesome!!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Carl-Yastrzemski-Boston-Red-Sox-HOF-Game-Used-Bat-Louisville-Slugger-Circa-1970s-/261264745446?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3cd497a3e6

Hoosier39
08-14-2013, 09:19 PM
?

I'm guessing you posted this because its not a pro model bat?

Misha
08-14-2013, 11:52 PM
At least the 1 bidder has only bid $0.99! Lol

soxbats
08-15-2013, 07:42 AM
Hoosier,sorry if the initial post was a bit flip. For those who don't collect game used bats there are several tell tale signs this is a store model, beginning with the knob stamping of CY2. There are some great sites, and books, that go through what a player model game used bat should look like I. Terms of labeling, length and weight. Over the years, Louisville Slugger (or Hillerich and Bradsby as it was known at inception) changed its labeling of bats periodically and some great collectors and researchers have taken the time to catalog these changes so that collectors can identify years that a bat would have been used by a player.

Not only does the auction trow that out the window, the background story in my opinion is pure fiction, and detailed fiction at that. For example, the statement: "Also, during the 1970s, many players starting switching to the Louisville Slugger version bats made by Hillerich & Bransby Co. The first players to make the switch were East Coast teams because they had the ability to try the bats out before they made their way around the league. Considering the REd Sox are on the East Coast, this made perfect sense." Not only is this not reflected in any history I have seen regarding H&B, the bat has a replica old school H&B center brand anyway.

Further, the knob stamped CY2 is not stamped with Yaz's initials and number, as the seller claims, he wore the number 8. In an attempt to explain why the bat is small, the seller reasons: "Carl was a small baseball player, therefore he used a bat that was smaller than most hitters of the era". I have had the pleasure of meeting Yaz and he is not small, and he did not swing a small bat according to H&B shipping records.

The seller very well could believe all this is true and could have been told this story by someone who sold them the bat, which would truly be unfortunate. There are some great collectors on this site and some great resources out there that are available to cut through these types of descriptions.

Sorry if the initial post in this thread was not in keeping with the educational spirit of the forum.

Soxbats

Looking for Red Sox game used bats, including Ray Webster, Ron Jackson, Luis Alvarado, Ken Poulsen, Chuck Goggin, George Smith, Felix Mantilla, Carmen Fanzone

karamaxjoe
08-15-2013, 01:25 PM
Also, during the 1970s, many players starting switching to the Louisville Slugger version bats made by Hillerich & Bransby Co. The first players to make the switch were East Coast teams because they had the ability to try the bats out before they made their way around the league. Considering the REd Sox are on the East Coast, this made perfect sense His initials and jersey number are also included on the bottom of the bat as well.

:p That's one creative pile of crap that guy is making up. He could have at least turned the number three on the knob to an eight to keep it accurate.