PDA

View Full Version : I Collect Jay Bruce Game Used Bats, Hit Balls, Jerseys, Gloves, etc

dplettn
08-17-2013, 04:40 PM
I am a collector of Jay Bruce Game Used bats, hit balls, jerseys, and similar items. No, I don’t have a game used glove yet. Jay Bruce often flies under the radar. Jay even missed out on the All Star game in this 2013, perhaps his most deserving to date.

I wanted to create a thread to showcase some spectacular Jay Bruce game used memorabilia. His aptitude warrants the praise among us who cherish game used items. I’d love to see unique items I haven’t seen before from prideful collectors. If your items are for sale, use e-mail (plettner at fuse dot net).

I buy special items when I can. But please do not abuse the proper etiquette of this forum and post on the thread merely to draw attention to items you plan to sell. All items posted here by me are posted only with the express consent of their owners, with equal discretion to their owners taste, and are not for sale.

Here is a first item to display on the thread, the ball that Jay Bruce hit for his 144th career HR in front of 40,740 fans at Great American Ballpark and many more on Fox' Baseball Night in America. The Reds trailed and the Cardinals' Tyler Lyons was 2-0 on the road with 1.29 ERA when Bruce smashed this ball into the visitors' bullpen. The blast changed the game Chapman saved a 4-2 Reds Victory. Enjoy!

dplettn
08-17-2013, 04:48 PM
Here is a Jay Bruce 3 Home Run bat from 2013, which was used to hit career HRs 145 (walk off), 146 (father's day), and 147.

Please note, I am looking for more Jay Bruce Home Run bats. Please e-mail plettner at fuse dot net.

MLB~NUT
08-17-2013, 05:53 PM
Here is a Jay Bruce 3 Home Run bat from 2013, which was used to hit career HRs 145 (walk off), 146 (father's day), and 147.

Please note, I am looking for more Jay Bruce Home Run bats. Please e-mail plettner at fuse dot net.

Kudos, I thought I was the only OCD person to wear White Gloves when handling my GU Collection!:D ;)

dplettn
08-17-2013, 11:39 PM
Kudos, I thought I was the only OCD person to wear White Gloves when handling my GU Collection!:D ;)

More folks than either of us would have presumed when beginning such a "white gloves" habit exercise similar precaution, I think. The gloves were a recent gift from a fellow hobby enthusiast and I figured "Why Not?".

I have not always avoided items being handled casually. Here is my then 3-year old handling Jay's freshly signed/inscribed hit #380 and RBI #219 at the Newport Kroger in 2011. It is my favorite item from May 2011, when Jay was the 1st Cincinnati Red to win a Player of the Month award in 5 years. In 28 May of '11 games, Jay hit 12 homers, had 33 RBIs, scored 23 runs, slugged .739 and mounted 19 extra base hits to lead each category.

dplettn
08-18-2013, 12:23 AM
One thing I really like about collecting game used items (balls in particular) is that each item has a story to tell. Some are very unique.

On April 17, 2013... a few hours after his walk-off RBI concluded a rain-postponed game began the prior evening, Jay Bruce provided RBIs 383 and 384 with career hit 634. Jay knocked the starter from the game, but the ball itself surprisingly remained in play for a new pitcher. An 11-2 Reds victory (a second on the day) provided for a series sweep.

dplettn
08-18-2013, 12:50 AM
Shown here is a 2012 3-Home Run bat, currently on display at the Cincinnati Reds Hall of Fame. Two additional special traits in common with the 2013 bat showcased here:

1) The Reds won all three games in which Jay Bruce homered with the bat.
2) One of the HRs was a walkoff.

This bat was used by Jay Bruce to hit career HRs 122, 123 (walkoff), and 124 (off the eventual Cy Young Winner, R.A. Dickey)

I am interested in special Jay Bruce game used items: plettner at fuse dot net

dplettn
08-18-2013, 01:08 AM
Jay Bruce's 147th double - scoring Brandon Phillips for RBI #445. (727th hit). The Reds won 8-3, taking the 2013 road and season series against the World Champs.

dplettn
08-18-2013, 09:12 PM
2011 Hits tend to be pretty scarce, the final year which preceding "Reds Authentics" initiatives. For those who collect Reds items today, I'd suggest being added to the Reds Authentics' e-mail distribution list: jcline@reds.com.

This is Jay Bruce's 436th career hit down the left field line off Kevin Millwood on August 10, 2011. The Reds beat the visiting Rockies 3-2 on Bruce and Votto HRs. Jay would be named National League Player of the Week for his performance from August 8th through the 14th.

I've tried to keep this ball still to preserve the grass embedded in the stitching. I would certainly appreciate advice from other collectors of game balls on preservation best practices.

dplettn
08-18-2013, 09:28 PM
Here is Jay Bruce's 2011 Opening Day Game Used Jersey. It was only worn once and removed from circulation for sale immediate after the game (unlike that of Votto). What this jersey lacks in wear, it makes up for with sentiment. 2011 was Bruce's 1st All-Star season. More important to me, 2011 Opening Day was my youngest son's 1st ever sporting event. He's been to more Opening Days now than he's had birthdays! Nowadays he's 2 and often goes by "J"... So while this jersey isn't "mine", its definitely special. Huge thanks to Mark Fugate and his esteemed business, Sports Gallery (http://www.asportsgallery.com/) for making it possible that this jersey will someday hang over J's mantle.

dplettn
08-18-2013, 09:48 PM
This is Jay Bruce's 713th career hit and 436th RBI, scoring Joey Votto.

Nnunnari
08-19-2013, 06:59 PM
White gloves?

dplettn
08-20-2013, 01:41 PM
White gloves?

As noted here with MLB~NUT already, yes. The rationale (warranted or otherwise) is to avoid oils transferring from our hands to the leather. Of course players umpires and authenticators touch them before, during, and after play. Unlike the OMLBs used by autograph collectors, game balls are mudded too. Anyway, to each their own. But I always appreciate advice from folks. So when a friend in the hobby gave me a pair of gloves I decided I'm plenty enough of a dork to go ahead and use them.

Here is Jay Bruce's career hit #485 off Adam Wainwright, a knock which occurred during a Reds Victory... and white gloves of course. I take great pride in hit balls off Cardinals pitching -- one of the best run organizations in all of baseball.

dplettn
08-20-2013, 02:00 PM
Further to my praise of the Cardinals organization and their game used program, here is a ball from their 2013 home opener. These are available at CardinalsAuthentics.com (http://www.cardinalsauthentics.com/). They have opener balls, postseason balls, and regular season balls by date. They even have commemorative 2006 inaugural balls.

This one happens to be Jay Bruce's 625th career hit, and his second of four hits at Busch Stadium 2013 Opener. The Reds were fortunate to score eleven unanswered runs in the final three innings to overcome three runs which had scored on Choo's errors. Perhaps the game was an early indicator that 2013 would be a tough fight in the NL Central. My humble opinion is the Cardinals and Reds make for a tremendous and healthy rivalry.

dplettn
08-20-2013, 04:15 PM
Local Reds fans all agree, there is no Opening Day liking Opening Day in Cincinnati. From the Finley Market parade to the game, it is part of Cincinnati culture.

Opening Day 2011 may have been where my passion for collecting Jay Bruce memorabilia came from. It was my youngest son's 1st ever game at 5 months old and we'd put great effort into arranging to obtain Bruce's jersey as a keepsake. So, my oldest and I were snapping pictures of Jay in his opening day jersey from our seats.

Jay started the season 2 for 2, and by random luck we snapped a picture from the upper level simultaneous as his bat cracked on contact during the 2nd hit.

What the bat lacks in visible use, it more than makes up for with our story. And sentiment. The Reds came back to score 4 runs in the bottom of the 9th for a walkoff victory.

Later during the '11 Season (Jay's 1st as an All Star), Bruce signed and inscribed the bat in person. Thank you, Jay Bruce!

Opening Day 2011 Game Used Bat

dplettn
08-21-2013, 11:34 AM
Jay Bruce's 646th career hit was also his 16th triple, off Lance Lynn.

Always interested to add great Jay Bruce and Joey Votto game used memorabilia (http://www.gameuseduniverse.com/vb_forum/showthread.php?t=56964). Please e-mail plettner at fuse dot net if you have anything available. Even if you are not interested to sell, I might just have something you covet more to offer up in a trade.

Brucefan32
08-21-2013, 06:20 PM
Against my better judgement a lot of people have asked to see what I have gathered so far regarding my favorite player Jay Bruce, so here you go!

14 game used bats ranging from 07-2013: 3 being '09 125th Anniversary LVS ( For you R.E.) lol
4 pairs of game used spikes
5 game used hats including 2 4th of July's
2 locker plates
8 game used jersey's
All SGA bobbles and or figures ( I Think)
13 or so game used balls
4 pair of game used batting gloves
1 2 sided street banner with Jay on the front auto'ed and Cueto on the back with auto
537 total baseball cards w/124 total auto's,61 relics,and 53 1/1's
1 2012 All Star Game locker plate
Fathers Day and Mothers Day armband from 2013

By no means is this totally accurate considering I have bought some more or forgot to dig it it out ,but I like what I have done and hope you do too.

MLB~NUT
08-21-2013, 06:26 PM
White gloves?

Yeh, you know like Museum Gloves!:D

Roady
08-21-2013, 10:58 PM
Great collection and stories.

I have a Jay Bruce game used bat, hat, ball, and these cleats.
The cleats are the ones he wore in the Futures Game in 2007.

Brucefan32
08-22-2013, 06:01 AM
Those are nice . I don't own any '07's..

dplettn
08-22-2013, 12:04 PM
Frank and "Roady":

Thanks for contributing to the thread. To be clear, I hope this thread does become a place for numerous passionate collectors to share their favorite items in tribute of Jay's career. Its fun to see the stuff. Hopefully, it motivates fans and and casual memorabilia collectors to get into collecting Jay Bruce game used items. Jay's Game Used Bats are available very reasonably from the reds: (jcline@reds.com) with proceeds benefiting the Reds Community Fund.

I know I'm somewhat unique in my passion for (base)balls, but whether its a ball or a bat, it is especially great to also see items individually displayed as one of a kind -- each is! In Frank's collection for example, one of the bats was game prepared in a unique way from the others. I'm interested to see each specific items get all the love it is due.

Also today, I wanted to share my eldest son's newest item. Not sure if random good karma from this thread was related... or if it was the full moon from last night (crazy game at GABP last night with a near comeback from 8 runs down by the Diamondbacks and eventually Aroldis Chapman's 1st MLB at bat and 6 out save)...

Anyway, my five-year-old has been persistently screaming "Jay Bruce" from the sun/moon deck railing with his glove whenever we're in those seats all season. I'd long ago given up on him getting one from Jay as I figured Jay was avoiding him based on fear of the kid's size and my little guy not being able to receive it without injury. Last night thoug, Jay walked over to him and threw him a gentle little toss. My son was grinning ear to ear and didn't finally fall asleep last night (with his newest ball nearby of course) until well past midnight.

There has been a history of good luck with Jay and my five-year-old. Here also is a picture also of him holding up the 144th career HR ball that was posted individually to start this thread. Later on the night we picked up that ball, Jay hit #148 in the bottom of the 9th off Grilli. It was Jason Grilli's 1st blown save of the season and the Reds won in 13! Amazing time, and amazing performance by Jay and the Reds!

Hand thrown warm-up ball to happy 5 year old
August 22, 2013 (first pic)

dplettn
08-22-2013, 12:12 PM
Jay with my same happy fan in August of 2011 (age 3). If memory serves, this ball came from Miguel Cairo. Not sure whether its in his hitting bucket or whether its one of the balls that he later re-gifted with Reds tickets at one of his little friends' Birthday Parties.

Thank You, Jay Bruce!

Roady
08-22-2013, 04:25 PM
Brucefan32 and dplettn,
You both have great looking families. Congrats! :)
Great stories too.

Brucefan32
08-22-2013, 09:04 PM
Jay Bruce's 2013 Memorial Day jersey and pants. Some people didn't like the MLB choices for this years military colors, but I disagreed.

Brucefan32
08-22-2013, 09:09 PM
Brucefan32 and dplettn,
You both have great looking families. Congrats! :)
Great stories too.

Only "family" I have is what you see here..ha ha

SSB15
08-22-2013, 10:29 PM
Impressive collection.

Roady
08-23-2013, 09:55 PM
Only "family" I have is what you see here..ha ha
Oops, sorry. :o Got your names mixed up on the pics.
Nice collection though.

dplettn
08-26-2013, 03:16 PM
Here is a first item to display on the thread, the ball that Jay Bruce hit for his 144th career HR. The Reds trailed and the Cardinals' Tyler Lyons was 2-0 on the road with 1.29 ERA when Bruce smashed this ball into the visitors' bullpen. The blast changed the game and eventually chapman saved a 4-2 Reds Victory.

With only the greatest respect for the Reds' opponent tonight and the Cardinals' starter (Tyler Lyons), I hope this post will raise interest and healthful competitive spirit even further before Bruce's Reds and Lyons' Cardinals compete during the heart of the pennant race tonight. I've wished to have displayed this ball with better images than how it was displayed in this thread's opening. Such is how other items have been displayed since. So here it is again with images to recall June 8th, 2013 when Bruce took Lyons deep on Baseball Night in America at Great American Ballpark. Yes, the ball is zip-locked (to keep with me throughout this day). Whomever wins tonight, I hope one team hosts the NL wild card and both are cheered for in the playoffs well after this great pennant race has run its course. Much respect to two of the best run organizations in baseball!

dplettn
08-27-2013, 12:12 AM
Born April 3 of 1987, Jay Bruce was a young 20 when he wore these cleats in 2007. Jay was drafted with the 12th overall pick of the 2005 amateur draft by the Cincinnati Reds and made his Major League debut in May of 2008.

Minor League Game Used Cleats, 2007
(each cleat individually signed/inscribed)

dplettn
08-31-2013, 02:53 PM
Any random ball going to a kid is more important than a hit ball in our collections. Today on one of my best men's birthdays, I want to share Jay Bruce's 705th career hit.

It was an interleague play game but far important to me is the memory recalled each time I see it. My friend and his family are Rangers fans. But on that day, two men in the Reds bullpen (Sean Marshall and J.J. Hoover) made those kids' dreams come true in their choices to toss me (for them) a random ball. Two days later, Marshall again took care of a kid at Arlington Stadium. That one was a Reds fan, and the son of another forum member. I've had the good fortune to enjoy Sean's company in a casual setting. He's a pleasant human to have on this Earth; more important than his being a good baseball player.

So here is Jay Bruce's 705th hit, shared with fond memories of a wonderful weekend and other balls (not mine) for which I'm far more grateful.

If I could propose to all fellow collectors one thing... help a kid. Maybe next time you are at a game, ask the parent of a little guy whether its their first game. If so, point them where to get a 1st game certificate. Or try and help them get a random ball. Buying a random game used ball or base is a great way to memorialize a 1st game experience for those who can afford to. At the Reds Authentics booth in Cincinnati, that raises money for the Reds Community Fund and helps more kids. Few parents are mindful of such an opportunity though when they take their child the 1st time. So, make them aware! You might just help that child have as much passion for the game of baseball someday as you have yourself.

dplettn
10-28-2013, 03:10 PM
On August 22, 2012 both teams were wearing their '91 Throwback uniforms. Much seemed out of sorts when Jay hit his 13th career triple (hit 586). Memorable visions for sure... and a memorable game. Jay later hit the game winning home run.

Jay Bruce 13th career triple

dplettn
10-28-2013, 03:28 PM
This is unique ball in the collection for a number of reasons. My son and I are in the TV broadcast background with Cleveland friends as Jay returns to 1st. I'm informing my friend about our ball hobby and showing him how that particular baseball may or may not come out of play (my friend later got his baseball obsessed brother into the hobby). It stays. Then Ryan Ludwick smashes the very next pitch off the left field wall... the play to which the ball is MLB authenticated.

We continue to collect Jay Bruce game used items. If you have anything that may be of interest, please e-mail plettner at fuse dot net.

Jay Bruce career Hit 532, next pitch Ludwick double

dplettn
11-04-2013, 03:36 PM
In recent years, the Beaumont Bomber's visits to nearby Houston provided lots of opportunities for ommemorative logo "hit balls" as the Astros celebrated their 50th anniversary (2012) and then their inaugural American League season (2013). Surprisingly, only one hit ball was authenticated in either year... itself nearly eaten by Minute Maid Park. This double down the opposite field line on September 1, 2012 actually disappeared to TV cameras, likely evidenced by its unique markings.

Jay Bruce's 114th career double, 593rd career hit

dplettn
11-04-2013, 04:05 PM
Those who observed Jay Bruce in 2013, saw a more resolute hitter. Jay's 132nd career double had to bounce to reach the wall, but the tougher journey was through the at bat. The pitcher had earned a no balls, two strikes count and Jay had to be patient in turning it around. Jay's Reds won the May 18 game, 10-0.

Jay Bruce's 665th hit, 132nd double

Dave4Reds
11-09-2013, 04:33 AM
This has been one of the most enjoyable threads that I have seen on here in a long time... though I may not be the most objective person given that I'm a huge Reds fan and Bruce is one of my favorites. Thanks for sharing.

joelsabi
11-09-2013, 08:29 AM
congrats on having a cycle for the collection. i think it's the second one I have seen besides the Jackson collection.

Enjoy your thread

dplettn
11-14-2013, 02:27 PM
While Jay Bruce fans enjoy his recent recognition with a 2nd consecutive Silver Slugger award, there is also something (in addition to Redsfest) to look forward to. The bat Jay used to club HRs 162 and 163 in each of his first two swings against fellow lefty and 2013 Cy Young Award Winner Clayton Kershaw will be on display for fans to enjoy during the 2014 season in the Reds Hall of Fame. That entire September 8th game was even more exciting in person than for those who watched the Reds complete a series sweep in Walkoff Fashion on ESPN's Sunday Night Baseball.

Not as exciting while waiting, but in the interim here is the ball which was Jay Bruce's 100th hit during his 2nd Silver Slugger season of 2013. This hit on the Braves' "Dale Murphy Night" scored Joey Votto for Jay's 439th career RBI. It was Jay's 716th career hit.

Career Hit 716, RBI 439
"Dale Murphy Night"

AWA85
12-22-2013, 07:27 PM
I will add to the Jay Bruce thread with these gamers from 2007-2013.

Brucefan32
12-22-2013, 09:26 PM
Nice!

tknorm
12-23-2013, 06:53 PM
I actually have a picture that I took of Jay's rbi in the Dale Murphy Night game. Here is a low quality version. Let me know if you might want a better quality version.

dplettn
12-23-2013, 08:03 PM
I actually have a picture that I took of Jay's rbi in the Dale Murphy Night game. Here is a low quality version. Let me know if you might want a better quality version.

Its amazing how broad our member base is! That's a very nice picture and appears to be of the same caliber as the high resolution pics of Getty, AP, etc. Yes, of course I'd enjoy it in higher resolution: plettner at fuse dot net.

dplettn
12-26-2013, 05:42 PM
Jay Bruce's 149th HR is a rather special one to me. June 20, 2013 was the Reds Rookie Success League's Day at Great American Ball Park. For those who don't know, when Reds Authentics sells something, the proceeds benefit the Reds Community Fund ("RCF"). For me, this ball exemplifies all the reasons to support Reds Authentics, the RCF, and Reds Rookie Success League for which I volunteer.

The kids I chaperoned that (including my own son who's picture I can choose to share here) called ourselves "Team Chapman". Team Chapman stayed safe and together throughout the day. For many of them, it was the kids' only chance to go to a Reds game. For me, June 20th was about the only game I went to all year where my attentiveness was never focused on the baseball in play. Ironically, I was fortunate enough to attain this ball. Thanks to Jay Bruce hitting it, the ball brought in plenty of proceeds to support the same cause financially to which I gave my time.

I want to send the warmest of Holiday Greetings to all Reds fans, Jay Bruce fans, and everyone here on the forum. I also want to thank fellow collectors who have shared their passion for Jay Bruce game used items here on this thread and those who will do so in the year ahead. This is not my thread but I am happy to post items on behalf of anyone who desires anonymity. Also, anyone with special Jay Bruce items for sale please reach me at plettner at fuse dot net.

We forum members can do great things and remind ourselves of the goodness which makes us all think of baseball so fondly. Member "tknorm" recently reminded me how great we can be together. With that thought, forum members who would like to purchase Reds Game Used items from Reds Authentics to benefit the RCF and its many missions can e-mail jcline@reds.com

Jay Bruce's 149th Career HR ball