Clear All
  • helmet lover
    • Aug 2013

Is this a real 49ers early 80's GU helmet?Opinions please

[IMG][/IMG]

• helmet lover
    • Aug 2013

Re: Is this a real 49ers early 80's GU helmet?Opinions please

Yeah I know the writing on the helmet looks like crap & I have already researched how to get rid of it.I bought this helmet off of ebay & I have 2 weeks to return it,so I need some good opinions from you helmet guys out there.Tell me what you think & don't hold back.Thanks,Brandon

Comment

• helmet lover
      • Aug 2013

And keep in mind,Lynn Thomas was a Defensive Back & would not have tons of hits on him lid like a OL or DL.He only played 2 years in the NFL & he had a fumble recovery in Super Bowl 16 1982

Comment

• dre707
        • Feb 2013

Know nothing about helmets but that facemask looks like it doesn't belong to helmet it's all crooked and I'm sure the the top bar should be attached to the helmet

Comment

• Vikingshelmetguy
          • Mar 2009

Hi Helmet Lover, I am not a 49ers helmet expert at all. But I found this photo on the internet of this player from that Superbowl game (49ers v. Bengals). Hard to tell, but it does look like the chin strap snaps affixed to your helmet are consistent with the photo, and the facemask is slso similar. So that's a good sign!

Comment

• Anabolicollege17
            Banned
            • May 2013

solarity will know right away. I suggest you email him.

Comment

• helmet lover
              • Aug 2013

The helmet facemask clips are missing & I hear that those old plastic clips break after 25+ years.I hear that the ones that are still intact are hanging by a thread.The facemask has a red dot on the left side you cant see in the pics.The blue air crown on the inside has the red dot also as you can see it the pic

Comment

• helmet lover
                • Aug 2013

Originally posted by Vikingshelmetguy
                Hi Helmet Lover, I am not a 49ers helmet expert at all. But I found this photo on the internet of this player from that Superbowl game (49ers v. Bengals). Hard to tell, but it does look like the chin strap snaps affixed to your helmet are consistent with the photo, and the facemask is slso similar. So that's a good sign!

Thanks Vinkingshelmet guy

Comment

• helmet lover
                  • Aug 2013

Originally posted by Anabolicollege17
                  solarity will know right away. I suggest you email him.
                  Thanks for the tip!I sent him a message but I am new on here & not on his buddy's list.I hope he gets my message & thanks for the tip

Comment

• solarlottry
                    • Jan 2009

I am not a helmet expert by any means but just looking at the inside of the helmet it looks consistent with other known examples. I would like to see the back of the helmet as well to evaluate the stickers.

Paul

Comment

• helmet lover
                      • Aug 2013

Thanks I will upload one

Comment

• helmet lover
                        • Aug 2013

Originally posted by solarlottry
                        I am not a helmet expert by any means but just looking at the inside of the helmet it looks consistent with other known examples. I would like to see the back of the helmet as well to evaluate the stickers.

Paul
                        I have not recieved it in the mail yet.I asked the guy and he said that he could see no stickers on the inside,but there might be one behind the velcro padding on the inside.Riddell helmets had heat pressed numbers on the inside I have read,but I haven't read anything about Bike brand 80's helmets.There isn't much info at all on the web about Bike helmets.I would be more than grateful if you referred anyone to my thread to have a look for opinion.Thanks a million,Brandon

Comment

• Vikingshelmetguy
                          • Mar 2009

Hi again Helmet Lover: The GUU member who would be best able to help you is Robert (Aeneas01). He has not posted on GUU in a long time, but he is one of the best experts on helmets. I think he could help you. I was able to find a photo of Joe Montana from that 1982 Super Bowl, and he wore a Bike brand helmet similar to the one you acquired. So your Bike helmet seems very consistent with what was worn by certain 49ers on that team and during that era.

Comment

• 808jerseys
                            • Apr 2006

IMO, this helmet is from the 80's.
                            " CORRECT "=
                            Bladder , padding & nose guard
                            Face mask & screws
                            Decals (size & colors)
                            49er gold paint (special mix to get that color)
                            The aging of the helmet all together is consistent , no changed parts.

Note: (I have used this method) You can apply car polish to the penmanship to remove the top layer of ink. Dab polish over only inked area , wait a few minutes then swirl polish lightly.

Best of luck!

Comment

• mbrieve
                              • Jul 2008

Not that the inscription or signature are overly attractive, but I would leave them alone. That is to say that they are in Lynn Thomas' hand and not somebody else adding the information later.

The only thing I would do is try to find appropriate clips and attach the facemask better. That keeps the piece as original as possible.

Comment

Working...