PDA

View Full Version : Is this a real 49ers early 80's GU helmet?Opinions please

helmet lover
08-19-2013, 01:01 PM
http://i.ebayimg.com/t/Lynn-Thomas-Game-Used-Super-Bowl-XVI-San-Francisco-49ers-Helmet-See-Pictures-/00/s/MTA2NlgxNjAw/z/ayIAAOxyzfNRwymf/$(KGrHqNHJDcFDZt-RBR,BRwyme2LJw~~60_57.JPG
http://i.ebayimg.com/t/Lynn-Thomas-Game-Used-Super-Bowl-XVI-San-Francisco-49ers-Helmet-See-Pictures-/00/s/MTA2NlgxNjAw/z/6i4AAOxy66pRwym-/$(KGrHqFHJF!FG3+JipWNBRwym980RQ~~60_57.JPG
http://i.ebayimg.com/t/Lynn-Thomas-Game-Used-Super-Bowl-XVI-San-Francisco-49ers-Helmet-See-Pictures-/00/s/MTA2NlgxNjAw/z/KRUAAOxymHRRwynE/$T2eC16hHJGUFFhy7H!(oBRwynDqFFg~~60_57.JPG
http://i.ebayimg.com/t/Lynn-Thomas-Game-Used-Super-Bowl-XVI-San-Francisco-49ers-Helmet-See-Pictures-/00/s/MTA2NlgxNjAw/z/ALAAAOxyyjpRwymq/$(KGrHqRHJFUFGg6MMilTBRwymqLyUQ~~60_57.JPG

helmet lover
08-19-2013, 02:05 PM
Yeah I know the writing on the helmet looks like crap & I have already researched how to get rid of it.I bought this helmet off of ebay & I have 2 weeks to return it,so I need some good opinions from you helmet guys out there.Tell me what you think & don't hold back.Thanks,Brandon

helmet lover
08-19-2013, 03:02 PM
And keep in mind,Lynn Thomas was a Defensive Back & would not have tons of hits on him lid like a OL or DL.He only played 2 years in the NFL & he had a fumble recovery in Super Bowl 16 1982

dre707
08-19-2013, 05:26 PM
Know nothing about helmets but that facemask looks like it doesn't belong to helmet it's all crooked and I'm sure the the top bar should be attached to the helmet

Vikingshelmetguy
08-19-2013, 05:27 PM
Hi Helmet Lover, I am not a 49ers helmet expert at all. But I found this photo on the internet of this player from that Superbowl game (49ers v. Bengals). Hard to tell, but it does look like the chin strap snaps affixed to your helmet are consistent with the photo, and the facemask is slso similar. So that's a good sign!

http://ts1.mm.bing.net/th?id=H.4583040431949376&pid=1.7

Anabolicollege17
08-19-2013, 06:05 PM
solarity will know right away. I suggest you email him.

helmet lover
08-19-2013, 06:10 PM
The helmet facemask clips are missing & I hear that those old plastic clips break after 25+ years.I hear that the ones that are still intact are hanging by a thread.The facemask has a red dot on the left side you cant see in the pics.The blue air crown on the inside has the red dot also as you can see it the pic

helmet lover
08-19-2013, 07:52 PM
Hi Helmet Lover, I am not a 49ers helmet expert at all. But I found this photo on the internet of this player from that Superbowl game (49ers v. Bengals). Hard to tell, but it does look like the chin strap snaps affixed to your helmet are consistent with the photo, and the facemask is slso similar. So that's a good sign!

http://ts1.mm.bing.net/th?id=H.4583040431949376&pid=1.7
Thanks Vinkingshelmet guy

helmet lover
08-19-2013, 07:54 PM
solarity will know right away. I suggest you email him.

Thanks for the tip!I sent him a message but I am new on here & not on his buddy's list.I hope he gets my message & thanks for the tip

solarlottry
08-19-2013, 10:20 PM
I am not a helmet expert by any means but just looking at the inside of the helmet it looks consistent with other known examples. I would like to see the back of the helmet as well to evaluate the stickers.

Paul

helmet lover
08-19-2013, 10:24 PM
Thanks I will upload one

helmet lover
08-19-2013, 10:41 PM
I am not a helmet expert by any means but just looking at the inside of the helmet it looks consistent with other known examples. I would like to see the back of the helmet as well to evaluate the stickers.

PaulI have not recieved it in the mail yet.I asked the guy and he said that he could see no stickers on the inside,but there might be one behind the velcro padding on the inside.Riddell helmets had heat pressed numbers on the inside I have read,but I haven't read anything about Bike brand 80's helmets.There isn't much info at all on the web about Bike helmets.I would be more than grateful if you referred anyone to my thread to have a look for opinion.Thanks a million,Brandon

Vikingshelmetguy
08-20-2013, 01:35 PM
Hi again Helmet Lover: The GUU member who would be best able to help you is Robert (Aeneas01). He has not posted on GUU in a long time, but he is one of the best experts on helmets. I think he could help you. I was able to find a photo of Joe Montana from that 1982 Super Bowl, and he wore a Bike brand helmet similar to the one you acquired. So your Bike helmet seems very consistent with what was worn by certain 49ers on that team and during that era.

http://cache1.asset-cache.net/gc/103020801-quarterback-joe-montana-of-the-san-francisco-gettyimages.jpg?v=1&c=IWSAsset&k=2&d=R4V%2fQay2ANwpmCZhkZDSEjfPtGCZ5m9m6o5YePLGVKRQ%2 bk6ivRHfSVB%2fKj%2fwwrjsbZoMdabT%2bqJyIWsmX8y41A%3 d%3d

808jerseys
08-20-2013, 02:59 PM
IMO, this helmet is from the 80's.
" CORRECT "=
Bladder , padding & nose guard
Face mask & screws
Decals (size & colors)
49er gold paint (special mix to get that color)
The aging of the helmet all together is consistent , no changed parts.

Note: (I have used this method) You can apply car polish to the penmanship to remove the top layer of ink. Dab polish over only inked area , wait a few minutes then swirl polish lightly.

Best of luck!

mbrieve
08-20-2013, 03:20 PM
Not that the inscription or signature are overly attractive, but I would leave them alone. That is to say that they are in Lynn Thomas' hand and not somebody else adding the information later.

The only thing I would do is try to find appropriate clips and attach the facemask better. That keeps the piece as original as possible.

Vikingshelmetguy
08-20-2013, 04:44 PM
Not that the inscription or signature are overly attractive, but I would leave them alone. That is to say that they are in Lynn Thomas' hand and not somebody else adding the information later.

The only thing I would do is try to find appropriate clips and attach the facemask better. That keeps the piece as original as possible.

I agree: While the signature on that helmet looks admittedly crude (and I personally am not a huge fan of signatures on helmets), I'd keep the signature on there (assuming it is the actual player's signature). It's best not to modify or mess with an old helmet. Keep it fully intact, with all of it's dirt, grime, age, blemishes and game wear. You risk damaging the helmet by using solvents to remove the signature ink. Also, a signed helmet often increases the value and it provenance: It helps to prove the helmet came from the player, and it provides verification that the player himself confirms that the helmet was worn by him and used in a Super Bowl game. Helmets worn in a Super Bowl seem to sky rocket in monetary value and historic value as Super Bowl games are so historic and iconic, and helmets worn in Super Bowl games are so rare, scarce and limited. Leave the helmet just as it is. Like Mbreive suggests, at most perhaps you could put some clips on to properly secure the mask onto the helmet. But, otherwise, keep the helmet as intact and original as possible if you can.

808jerseys
08-20-2013, 05:33 PM
IMO, this helmet is from the 80's.
" CORRECT "=
Bladder , padding & nose guard
Face mask & screws
Decals (size & colors)
49er gold paint (special mix to get that color)
The aging of the helmet all together is consistent , no changed parts.

Note: (I have used this method) You can apply car polish to the penmanship to remove the top layer of ink. Dab polish over only inked area , wait a few minutes then swirl polish lightly.

Best of luck!

Yes for sure keeping helmet original is the way to go. That's why I mentioned just removing the "Top layer" of the penmanship . It is traced over the original inscription.
- I always test an area that will not detract from the total overall look.
You did good on your addition to your collection !

mbrieve
08-20-2013, 07:41 PM
Yes for sure keeping helmet original is the way to go. That's why I mentioned just removing the "Top layer" of the penmanship . It is traced over the original inscription.
- I always test an area that will not detract from the total overall look.
You did good on your addition to your collection !

Oh, didn't realize it was traced...maybe document everything with photos. If you can remove the tracing carefully, go for it.

helmet lover
08-20-2013, 08:02 PM
Thanks for your opinions and if anybody else wants to give their opinion I want to hear it.They have some vintage plastic helmet clips in a gold color like they wore in 1982 on ebay for $30,so it would look real good on it.I want to thank you again for your opinion & anyone else who wants to feel to let me know.I am new & this site is great for us collectors.Thanks,Brandon

helmet lover
08-20-2013, 08:10 PM

They have some vintage plastic clips on ebay that would be perfect & in a gold-tan color.No clear rubber ones is going on this helmet

tom1315
08-20-2013, 08:33 PM
"helmet lover," congrats on what sounds like a very nice find. As for the clips send an email or call Curtis at Helmet Hut. A super guy and extremely knowledgeable - he can make certain you get the correct clips and maybe you might want him to attach them. For a helmet of this calibre I'd want his guidance.

He helped me with a 1990 Georgia Tech gamer I had concerns about and was patient and very helpful.

Tom

Go Pack! NC State 1981 graduate

PS - I would recommend not do anything to the signature or the 'tracing' referenced. Leave as is...

Vikingshelmetguy
08-21-2013, 05:31 PM
They have some vintage plastic clips on ebay that would be perfect & in a gold-tan color.No clear rubber ones is going on this helmet

Helmet Lover: I agree with Tom1315. You should get your mask clips from Curtis at Helmet Hut. He will tell you what clips are appropriate for your helmet. You can send your helmet to him and he will put the mask and clips on for you. You mentioned you'd like to put "gold-tan colored" mask clips on your 49er's helmet. I don't think those would be the correct clips. Check out the 1982 Superbowl photo of Joe Montana that I posted earlier in this thread. You'll notice his mask has vintage grey colored mask clips. Your helmet should probably have vintage grey mask clips too. I hope this helps!

helmet lover
08-21-2013, 06:04 PM
Thanks Viking,I'm about to actually watch the 1982 Super Bowl.I will see what color they had & will get them from helmet hut.Thanks for all you guys help & opinions,and if anyone wants to put in their 2 cents,lets hear it.I actually got it today & it looks great!!! In the bright Alabama sun it is very shiny gold.Indoors it has a green hue gold tint to it.I hear that is how REAL 49ers helmets are supposed to look.The logo stickers & red and white stripes look 30 years old.It does have warning stickers on the inside.I did some looking & Lynn Thomas sold his Super Bowl ring a few years ago

Jacuzzi
08-22-2013, 04:15 PM
helmet lover,

My apologies for not seeing your email to me sooner. The helmet color looks correct. You can really see the color difference when it is next to another hold colored helmet like the Saints. I almost exclusively collect 80's Bike helmets and everything looks correct on this one. The facemask screws are vintage however most of the 49ers helmets from the mid 80s have hold colored slotted screws. I'm not sure when the new equipment manager brought them in but a quick search if the forum for facemask screws may show the answer? Congrats on the nice pickup. I was wondering who got it!

Jacuzzi
08-22-2013, 04:17 PM
helmet lover,

My apologies for not seeing your email to me sooner. The helmet color looks correct. You can really see the color difference when it is next to another hold colored helmet like the Saints. I almost exclusively collect 80's Bike helmets and everything looks correct on this one. The facemask screws are vintage however most of the 49ers helmets from the mid 80s have hold colored slotted screws. I'm not sure when the new equipment manager brought them in but a quick search if the forum for facemask screws may show the answer? Congrats on the nice pickup. I was wondering who got it!

Hold = Gold. Stupid spell check!

helmet lover
08-22-2013, 04:32 PM
Thanks,I heard that equipment manager Bronco something got there in 84,so mine would have been Chico's.There was a guy on here that goes by coffebean joe and talked like he knew 49ers personel helmet reconditioners personally from the 80's,but he doesn't take messages on here.I wish I could find Lynn Thomas & talk to him.Should not be impossible.I am from Alabama & he is from neighbor state Mississippi :) Somebody out there knows where he is

helmet lover
08-27-2013, 12:50 AM
Hold = Gold. Stupid spell check!

Hi Jacuzzi,I found a serial number inside this Bike helmet.It is 120821.Can you put a year with this number?

solarlottry
08-27-2013, 01:34 AM
Hi "helmet-lover". I know coffeebeanjoe and can get a message to him if you need to. Please let me know.

I think the helmet looks good as the equipment manager would paint a red or green dot on the inside just as this helmet has.

Paul

helmet lover
08-27-2013, 01:49 AM
Hi "helmet-lover". I know coffeebeanjoe and can get a message to him if you need to. Please let me know.

I think the helmet looks good as the equipment manager would paint a red or green dot on the inside just as this helmet has.

Paul

Thanks solarlottry,I would be grateful if you would contact coffeebeanjoe & give me back his opinion.He is has very valuable knowledge about 49ers helmets as you know.Tell him this is one before Bronco got there in 85,so no gold screws on mine.Thanks,Brandon :)

helmet lover
08-27-2013, 01:52 AM
Thanks solarlottry,I would be grateful if you would contact coffeebeanjoe & give me back his opinion.He is has very valuable knowledge about 49ers helmets as you know.Tell him this is one before Bronco got there in 85,so no gold screws on mine.Thanks,Brandon :)

And like I said about the gold color of this helmet.Gold as it gets in the bright Alabama sun,green dark gold indoors.Thanks again

helmets
08-27-2013, 06:43 AM

Paul

The red or green dot is done at the Bike helmet factory (and later Schutt) to specify the size of the air bladder. Red is a medium bladder for a medium helmet, while green is a large bladder for a large helmet. Black or dark gray is for an XL. Every Pro AiR, AiR Power, or Pro AiR II has the color code.

helmet lover
08-27-2013, 10:38 AM
Joe Montana wore a Bike helmet for a few years early in his career before he & the team switched to Riddell & his helmet had a red dot on the left side of the facemask as well

jonschuette
08-27-2013, 10:47 AM
I don't know if this will apply to helmets this old but in speaking with someone who use to work with 49er equipment (I am withholding the person's name because I haven't got their permission to use their name), the inside of the helmets were painted/colored yellow/gold.

helmet lover
08-27-2013, 11:20 AM
I don't know if this will apply to helmets this old but in speaking with someone who use to work with 49er equipment (I am withholding the person's name because I haven't got their permission to use their name), the inside of the helmets were painted/colored yellow/gold.

Yeah I have read that inside the helmet when they used nothing but Riddell in the 80's is like a packers yellow.I did read where some are white too,but I would feel better if it was yellow.Could you ask "that person" if 70's & early 80's helmets were white on the inside?I would be very grateful

jonschuette
08-27-2013, 11:32 AM
I will try to get ahold of them.

helmets
08-27-2013, 03:12 PM
Joe Montana wore a Bike helmet for a few years early in his career before he & the team switched to Riddell & his helmet had a red dot on the left side of the facemask as well

Same thing here. The red specified a mask that would fit a medium or large helmet, while a green dot on a mask was typically used for an XL helmet. I say typically because Equipment Managers will occasionally use an XL mask on a smaller helmet to pull the sides of the helmet out a bit. Likewise, occasionally a normal mask is installed to an XL helmet to pull the sides in a bit for a tighter fit.

helmets
08-27-2013, 03:16 PM

Yes, often the 49ers would take a molded GB Gold or Sunflower Gold helmet and paint the exerior SF Gold, although I have seen many 49ers helmets that were molded white.

helmets
08-27-2013, 03:19 PM
Yeah I have read that inside the helmet when they used nothing but Riddell in the 80's is like a packers yellow.I did read where some are white too,but I would feel better if it was yellow.Could you ask "that person" if 70's & early 80's helmets were white on the inside?I would be very grateful

I don't believe there was ever a time in the 80's that the 49ers "used nothing but Riddell."

Jacuzzi
08-29-2013, 06:55 PM
Hi Jacuzzi,I found a serial number inside this Bike helmet.It is 120821.Can you put a year with this number?

I believe it would be dated the 82nd day of 1981.

The first digit is the shell material. Adult helmets are either a 0 or 1.
The second digit is the workers shift.
The next 3 digits are the day of the year.
The last digit is the year ending number. This decade can be determined by the placement of the number stamp. 70's were on the back of the helmet. Then it moved to the back inside of the helmet. Then it moved to under the earhole. Andvsome where around '83ish the year was on the back outside left of the helmet until '87ish when it changed to a two letter system where the letters were their respective number of the alphabet. HI=89.

Hope this helps...

DrJ
08-30-2013, 10:18 PM
I've collected helmets since 1994 and this helmet looks to be spot on to me. I didn't buy it when I saw it only because I collect post 1985 and I prefer non-autographed. VERY nice helmet.

genius
08-31-2013, 08:26 PM
Dr. J--can you send a quick email, jflynn@hiddenlinksgolf.com? Have a helmet question. Thanks!

DrJ
09-03-2013, 09:41 PM
Hi - just saw this and emailed you.

helmet lover
09-27-2013, 01:12 AM
I believe it would be dated the 82nd day of 1981.

The first digit is the shell material. Adult helmets are either a 0 or 1.
The second digit is the workers shift.
The next 3 digits are the day of the year.
The last digit is the year ending number. This decade can be determined by the placement of the number stamp. 70's were on the back of the helmet. Then it moved to the back inside of the helmet. Then it moved to under the earhole. Andvsome where around '83ish the year was on the back outside left of the helmet until '87ish when it changed to a two letter system where the letters were their respective number of the alphabet. HI=89.

Hope this helps...

Ok so it is a 1981 for sure great.One thing I seen in a 1981 49ers yearbook,is that the SF logo around the black oval sticker was clear like 1/8 of an inch on a lot of players helmet.This bothered me till I noticed Montana's didn't have the clear part outside the black oval of the sticker logo

helmet lover
09-27-2013, 01:14 AM
Yes, often the 49ers would take a molded GB Gold or Sunflower Gold helmet and paint the exerior SF Gold, although I have seen many 49ers helmets that were molded white. That is very true.In a 1981 49ers Super Bowl yearbook I bought,you could see the insides of a few guys helmets on the sidelines.Most were yellow,but some were white

PAC
09-27-2013, 02:39 AM
ttp://i.imgur.com/eEZKYOR.jpg
facemask looks the same

Looks like ol' Lynn fell on hard times and hawked all his gear, even his ring
http://i.imgur.com/VCWaZl0.jpg

There some game footage on YouTube, you might be able to get a glimpse of his helmet on there
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZrLke1v9cQU&feature=youtube_gdata_player

helmet lover
09-27-2013, 11:38 AM
ttp://i.imgur.com/eEZKYOR.jpg
facemask looks the same

Looks like ol' Lynn fell on hard times and hawked all his gear, even his ring
http://i.imgur.com/VCWaZl0.jpg

There some game footage on YouTube, you might be able to get a glimpse of his helmet on there
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZrLke1v9cQU&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Yeah I noticed that.I think that ring went for 16 grand.I have that 1982 Super Bowl on DVD,but the stickers are wrong.But they could have changed them out because he played the 1982 strike season as well,I think it was 9 games.They won the Super bowl,but the next season they didn't make the playoffs :confused: That is pro football for ya