Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • dplettn
    • Dec 2010

I Collect Joey Votto Game Used Bats, Hit Balls, Jerseys, Gloves, etc

I am a collector of Joey Votto game used bats, hit balls, and similar items. His focus and discipline and may not get the same attention in any year as a guy who then hits 40 or more home runs, but lends to his consistency. When Votto swings the bat, he does so with thoughtful purpose where to hit a line drive… or often to waste an adversary’s best pitch. His line outs are worthy of awe, and he reacts with vehement care. Votto doesn’t fit that for which today’s populace yearns; he uses a discriminating eye unparalleled among similarly competent sluggers. As Joey’s raw extra base numbers are deflated by walks, he scores runs for his Reds. He works hard to be excellent as a fielder and Votto often deflects direct praise to his teammates. Statistically, his long term importance to Reds Nation may be best demonstrated by consistent “OBPS” (On Base Plus Slugging) – north of 950 in aggregate over his first seven seasons. Joey Votto is a winner.

I wanted to create a board to showcase some spectacular Joey Votto game used memorabilia. His aptitude warrants praise among us who cherish game used items. I’d love to see unique items I haven’t seen before from prideful collectors. If your items are available for sale, use e-mail (plettner at fuse dot net). Please do not abuse the parameters of this forum to draw attention to items you intend to sell. All items shown here should only to be displayed only with the consent of their owners.

Here is a first item to display on the thread, Joey Votto's 20th career HR ball. The ball was hit into the Pittsburgh Pirates' bullpen at Great American Ballpark in September of 2008 and is currently on display at the Cincinnati Reds Hall of Fame and Museum, sharing a case with his 2012 Mothers Day Walk Off Grand Slam Jersey and Fielding Glove worn in his first MLB Futures Game. When in Cincinnati, all should check out the exhibit. Hopefully this thread will tempt your senses!

Attached Files
  • dplettn
    • Dec 2010

Re: I Collect Joey Votto Game Used Bats, Hit Balls, Jerseys, Gloves, etc

Joey Votto's 942nd career "hit ball" was his 11th triple -- July 24, 2013. Joey coasted into third standing after blasting this ball off the 421 sign in right center. The Reds won 8-3, taking the road and season series against the World Champs.
    Attached Files

Comment

• dplettn
      • Dec 2010

Joey Votto's 204th career double and 470th RBI occurred during May of 2013, in which he batted 388 with a 1123 OBPS. That's a scary bat to face... just ask the ball!

Always looking to see special Votto Hit/HR balls and other unique items... plettner at fuse dot net
      Attached Files

Comment

• dplettn
        • Dec 2010

Joey Votto’s 697th career hit on Opening Day 2012

This ball was Votto’s 1st hit following his $225 million contract extension, the richest in Reds history. This particular ball was MLB authenticated without relevance as FJ 597369. In addition to my own observance, uninterrupted video of the ball proves the historic hit ball stayed in play until striking Rolen during the following AB.

Special ball from (I hope) a career Cincinnati Red...

Some items I post will not reveal the MLB database id as this photo does. For items MLB authenticated with relevance to their meaningful use, I generally don't justify to display/publicize MLB database identification. Doing so may eventually increase risk for such items to become targets of incredulous folks if/when such folks begin imitating MLB hologram stickers. Obviously my perspective will be perceived silly to many. Just the same, items on our forum are shared only with however much discretion deemed appropriate by their bearers. Anyone trusting me to see their items (plettner at fuse dot net), can be assured of my own desired level of discretion.
        Attached Files

Comment

• rchimes13@yahoo.com
          • Jan 2011

Much like Dan I collect Joey Votto GU and unique items. I however do not consider myself a GU ball collector, but through my relationship with Dan I am starting to enjoy finding meaningful GU balls for my collection. Though mine pale in comparison to Dan's awesome GU ball collection these two Votto balls have a lot of meaning to me!

4/12/13 at Pittsburgh Votto hit a single off of AJ Burnett for career hit #832. This was my first born son's 2nd birthday!

8/11/13 vs Padres Votto foul ball off of Ian Kennedy. Absolutely swung out of his cleats on this foul ball! Had my 2 year old son on my knee cheering "Get a hit Votto, get a hit!" When Votto made contact he clapped and cheered. Was overly excited to see this at the GU stand in the 8th inning that day. Votto hit a walk-off sac fly to win in 13th.
          Attached Files

Comment

• dplettn
            • Dec 2010

Originally posted by rchimes13

4/12/13 at Pittsburgh Votto hit a single off of AJ Burnett for career hit #832. This was my first born son's 2nd birthday!
            Himes: I was so happy when you got that ball! I find it really wonderful that you recognize the most important reasons to cherish certain items. I hope you'll share more of your astonishing Votto collection here! You are kind about mine... I'm in awe of yours

Comment

• joelsabi
              • Aug 2005

Originally posted by dplettn
              Joey Votto's 942nd career "hit ball" was his 11th triple -- July 24, 2013. Joey coasted into third standing after blasting this ball off the 421 sign in right center. The Reds won 8-3, taking the road and season series against the World Champs.
              isnt that Venus that you circled in the photo?
              Regards,
              Joel S.
              joelsabi @ gmail.com
              Wanted: Alex Rodriguez Game Used Items and other unique artifacts, 1992 thru 1998 only. From High School to Early Mariners.

Comment

• dplettn
                • Dec 2010

Originally posted by joelsabi
                isnt that Venus that you circled in the photo?
                Ha... No, its actually a UFO that travels around to Joey's games. Joey is not from this planet, you see. Look where the UFO was at Great American Ballpark earlier this year!

Joey Votto's 148th Home Run Ball

The Reds were rained out on July 4th, so Votto waited until the next day to celebrate. On an Interleague Play "Fireworks Friday", Votto launched HR #148 off former teammate (and Ace) Aaron Harang. The blast landed in the Riverboat/Batter's Eye camera well. Perhaps we now know Canadians too like to launch fireworks to celebrate Independence Day! While the Reds' home telecast credited the home run as 443 feet, ESPN Home Run Tracker estimated it at only 433.

To be clear, I do not claim to own this ball. I am glad that this thread allows everyone the benefit to see it. I have talked to other Joey Votto collectors today who really like this thread. Some are open to share their own items only if they can do so with anonymity.

E-mails that share your items are always welcome: plettner at fuse dot net. Photos and provenance for all items will be treated with the strictest confidentiality and discretion.

Attached Files

Comment

• rchimes13@yahoo.com
                  • Jan 2011

Want to highlight one of my favorite Joey Votto bats. Here is his 2010 All Star Game used bat photo-matched to his 2nd at bat of the ASG game (cannot find a good picture of first AB). It was Joey's very first All-Star Game which makes this even more important to my collection. Photo mactched to contact marks on back of barrel, but even more so with the knob which shows 32.1 oz, and nicks and grain lines match perfectly!
                  Attached Files

Comment

• dplettn
                    • Dec 2010

Originally posted by rchimes13
                    Want to highlight one of my favorite Joey Votto bats. Here is his 2010 All Star Game used bat photo-matched to his 2nd at bat of the ASG game (cannot find a good picture of first AB). It was Joey's very first All-Star Game which makes this even more important to my collection. Photo mactched to contact marks on back of barrel, but even more so with the knob which shows 32.1 oz, and nicks and grain lines match perfectly!
                    Absolutely unbelievable item. And with an understanding the difficulty to attain a definitely accurately attributed '10 ASG bat, its one that you earned too! A tip of the cap to you, Himes!

Can't wait to see your continued sharing! Lessor fielding gloves can't be shared until the very best is displayed! Like, oh say, his rookie glove...

Comment

• dplettn
                      • Dec 2010

Joey Votto’s 955th career hit, a one-hop laser pulled to the right field wall on his Bobblehead Night. The ball remained in play for five more pitches until fouled into the dirt toward the Reds dugout and batboy Ted Kremer. The Reds defeated the A’s, 3-1.

Unique items are neat not only to attain, but merely for all of us to see and enjoy with appropriate discretion! For those who are interested to display their Votto items with anonymity, please e-mail plettner at fuse dot net.
                      Attached Files

Comment

• rchimes13@yahoo.com
                        • Jan 2011

One of the main clogs in my Votto Collection is his 2008 rookie season Game Used / Inscribed Fielders Glove. I have it photo-matched to numerous pictures in 2008, but was recently able to find a 2007 AAA picture where I can match the Rawlings serial numbers (too grainy to post)...can only assume this glove was used during 2007 MLB Debut as September call-up.
                        Attached Files

Comment

• dplettn
                          • Dec 2010

With Himes having shared the apex, other Votto fielding gloves can humbly join the party

Having spoken to a former MLB player about this Votto glove, I think its very reasonable based on the inner wear of Himes' to make an informed judgement that the '08 glove was used extensively enough to exceed one season.

There has been discussion on our forum about alternate gloves to which use in the '06 Futures Game had been implied by inscriptions and/or provenance letters. This glove, displayed at the Reds Hall of Fame with the previously shown 20th HR ball and Walk Off Grand Slam Mothers Day Jersey is photo matched to Getty image 71404082. Most of the wisdom discovered since an earlier thread pertaining to this glove was is credited to Himes. {comparing/contrasting two similarly attributed gloves to the high resolution picture and accounting for the timing and chain of custody of each}

The additional observation and research I contributed dispelled the possibility that the Getty photo could have been taken during practice for the '06 MLB Futures Game. The final score of the Yankees game on the Scoreboard in the background assures the photo was taken during the '06 MLB Futures Game (not warmups). The '06 MLB Futures Game began before the Yankees game went final. This Glove was sold shortly after the '06 Futures Game by Votto's then authorized GU memorabilia agent with provenance showing it in its current condition.

Joey Votto Game Used Fielding Glove
                          Last Used: '06 MLB Futures Game in Pittsburgh

Attached Files

Comment

• dplettn
                            • Dec 2010

To be clear, I am not claiming to own the item below. This thread is being created with the interest of items being posted with anonymity to their owners. If you have an item you'd like to post with anonymity and/or any other type of discretion please contact plettner at fuse dot net.

Joey Votto hit his 125th career Home Run off RA Dickey, the eventual National League Cy Young winner. The ball crashed into the upper deck facing creating a wave/ripple that could be seen in slow motion.

Joey Votto's 125th career Home Run ball
                            Attached Files

Comment

• Brucefan32
                              • Feb 2012

I believe I was at that game for my first New York visit. This is the game used lineup card. Sorry its a little blurry.
                              Attached Files

Comment

Working...