PDA

View Full Version : Ichiro... 4000 hits? I think NOT.

xpress34
08-22-2013, 10:07 AM
I am already sick of the excessive coverage of Ichiro and his '4,000th hit'...

IF you subscribe to the ideology that we can just combine his Japanese numbers with his MLB numbers and stick him in the exclusive club with Rose and Cobb, then you MUST also recognize the TRUE Home Run King. Not Ruth, Aaron or Bonds...

Sadahura Oh - who hit over 800 in his Professional career in Japan.

Sorry to rant, but when I see posts like this:

Ichiro Suzuki joined Pete Rose and Ty Cobb as the only players with 4,000 career hits in #MLB. #Yankees #Mariners

on Facebook and elsewhere, it makes me want to scream! Get your history right!

Ichiro doesn't even have 3,000 hits yet in #MLB!!!

I'll get off my soapbox now. :o

- Smitty

Misha
08-22-2013, 11:27 AM
It's not like he padded his figures in Japan first then tagged a few more on here though. His average number of hits per game is almost the same in the MLB as it was in Japan. It's pretty easy to imagine he could have gotten those 1278 hits in 7 years in the majors back when he was younger, especially since there are more games per season in the US.

xpress34
08-22-2013, 12:41 PM
It's not like he padded his figures in Japan first then tagged a few more on here though. His average number of hits per game is almost the same in the MLB as it was in Japan. It's pretty easy to imagine he could have gotten those 1278 hits in 7 years in the majors back when he was younger, especially since there are more games per season in the US.

Misha -

True, but like any other 'possibility' of what could have been in MLB history, unfortunately, we will never know. The longer seasons here when he was younger could also have worn him down faster as well.

My point being is that many of the Sports Shows (TV and Radio) are discussing it like he actually has 4,000 MLB hits when he hasn't even reached 3,000 yet.

What 'might have been' doesn't matter in the MLB record books, only what 'is'...

Don't get me wrong, I like Ichiro, I just don't like how MLB and the Sports Stations are hyping this like it's an actual MLB record.

- Smitty

helf35
08-22-2013, 01:57 PM
It's rediculous. Why don't we add minor league stats as well. Some of these guys stay down longer so there clocks don't start. I also like Ichiro as a player but sorry I'm not recognizing any Japan numbers. For the sake of argument lets add playoff numbers with regular season numbers. Personally I'm sure bud selig would love for Ichiro to bang out another 300 hits so he could somehow combine them and tell Pete he's no longer the hit king.

jake33
08-22-2013, 02:23 PM
Julio Franco should be apart of the 4,000 hit club too then.

yanks12025
08-22-2013, 02:23 PM
What's ridiculous are you people!!! Ichiro, Pete and Cobb are the only players to ever get 4,000 hits. MLB is not adding him to the major league record books with 4,000 hits.

godwulf
08-22-2013, 03:45 PM
What's ridiculous are you people!!! Ichiro, Pete and Cobb are the only players to ever get 4,000 hits.

Are you sure? Has anyone checked out all the minor league stats to ensure that no other player's hit numbers reach 4,000? Because that's what Ichiro's Japan League hit total equates to.

MLB is not adding him to the major league record books with 4,000 hits.

I think xpress's point was that the MEDIA is doing it - not that the official record books are going to reflect anything like that, which of course they don't and never will.

Jags Fan Dan
08-22-2013, 03:57 PM
Are you sure? Has anyone checked out all the minor league stats to ensure that no other player's hit numbers reach 4,000? Because that's what Ichiro's Japan League hit total equates to.

I think xpress's point was that the MEDIA is doing it - not that the official record books are going to reflect anything like that, which of course they don't and never will.

Hank Aaron had over 4000 including minors

Misha
08-22-2013, 07:28 PM
Misha -

True, but like any other 'possibility' of what could have been in MLB history, unfortunately, we will never know. The longer seasons here when he was younger could also have worn him down faster as well.

My point being is that many of the Sports Shows (TV and Radio) are discussing it like he actually has 4,000 MLB hits when he hasn't even reached 3,000 yet.

What 'might have been' doesn't matter in the MLB record books, only what 'is'...

Don't get me wrong, I like Ichiro, I just don't like how MLB and the Sports Stations are hyping this like it's an actual MLB record.

- Smitty

Yeah for sure, the casual listener/fan may get the wrong idea listening to CNN etc about those hits. I just heard the announcer say Ichiro joins Rose and Cobb in the exclusive 4000 hit club!

I agree we can never say for sure how many hits he could have gotten if he had played exclusively in the MLB, and his 4000 can never officially be connected to Rose/Cobb, however I place his accomplishment higher than Oh's HRs.

At least he has a good chance to get to 3000 "real" hits which is awesome in it's own right. Here in Japan, where I live, the main lament is that he has never won a World Series, people feel sorry for him. He will never be in the same ranks here as Matsui unless he does that.