PDA

View Full Version : Meeting Cal Ripken Jr.

ChrisCavalier
08-25-2013, 03:14 PM
As some of you already know, Goldin Auctions was asked to be part of a new sports memorabilia program called 'A Piece of the Game.' There are two episodes that will be airing soon and, on one of the segments, the Lou Gehrig game used bat in Goldin's upcoming auction will be featured. On Friday, we had the honor of meeting with Cal Ripken Jr. in Chicago where Mr. Ripken was gracious enough to meet with us and discuss the bat.

I had heard good things about Mr. Ripken but I honestly wasn't sure what to expect with the meeting given we were asking him to take his time to meet with us. As it turned out, Mr. Ripken could not have been kinder or more congenial. He took a great deal of time to talk about the bat as well as his experiences playing, some of which will air on the 'Piece of the Game' program. Interestingly, Mr. Ripken referenced Lou Gehrig playing in an era some refer to as 'when it was a game' prior to the business side seeming to play a bigger part in baseball. Along those lines, I told Mr. Ripken after the interview that I don't know anyone in the modern era that epitomizes playing for the love of the game more than him. In fact, it is a little know fact that Mr. Ripken was a fantastic pitcher in high school but decided not to pursue a career as a pitcher because he wanted to play every day.

On behalf of Goldin Auctions, I wanted to thank Mr. Ripken for taking the time to meet with us as well as John Maroon of Maroon PR for his help setting up the meeting. Here is a picture of me and Mr. Ripken with the Gehrig bat:

ironmanfan
08-26-2013, 07:39 AM
Cal never disappoints.......I'm happy to see that you enjoyed spending a few minutes with him Chris...

You made a good point about Cal being a good HS pitcher...The Orioles had the advantage because Earl Weaver had seen Cal hit the ball over the wall @ Memorial Stadium & liked his offense....Cal did tell me once that if for whatever reason he failed at being a position player he could fall back to pitching, but knew he really couldn't do it the other way around.

Great story & picture!

Bill

commando
08-26-2013, 08:27 AM
If anyone hasn't figured it out yet, they need to consign their items to Goldin Auctions if they want top dollar. I haven't seen this kind of top-notch marketing within our hobby in probably twenty years. Good luck to everyone!

KGoldin
08-26-2013, 12:18 PM
Hey Chris
Next time wear a goldin auctions shirt
Or put a goldin auctions patch on blazer
I am trying to figure out how to get this auction company some publicity and public awareness, and this would have been a good opportunity
Regards
Ken

ChrisCavalier
08-26-2013, 12:40 PM
Hey Chris
Next time wear a goldin auctions shirt
Or put a goldin auctions patch on blazer
I am trying to figure out how to get this auction company some publicity and public awareness, and this would have been a good opportunity
Regards
Ken
Hey Boss,

Just to confirm, the Ripken piece was done as an extension to the segment on the show where we featured the Gehrig bat and explained that it is going to be in Goldin's upcoming auction. On Friday, the only thing the camera crew did was film Cal with the bat. The picture of Cal and me was just for personal use.

In any event, you might have come up with a great idea. How about Goldin Auction blazers?

-Chris

KGoldin
08-26-2013, 01:04 PM
Chris's Christmas gift will be a sarcasm meter

otismalibu
08-26-2013, 01:07 PM
Goldin Auctions logo.
Tyson-style facial ink.
Chris knows what needs to be done.

http://i209.photobucket.com/albums/bb110/otismalibu/th_Goldin_zps70a6d6b0.jpg (http://s209.photobucket.com/user/otismalibu/media/Goldin_zps70a6d6b0.jpg.html)

ChrisCavalier
08-26-2013, 01:22 PM
Goldin Auctions logo.
Tyson-style facial ink.
Chris knows what needs to be done.

http://i209.photobucket.com/albums/bb110/otismalibu/th_Goldin_zps70a6d6b0.jpg (http://s209.photobucket.com/user/otismalibu/media/Goldin_zps70a6d6b0.jpg.html)
Very cool. However, if I did it around my eye I would need to wear contacts :)

-Chris

joelsabi
08-26-2013, 02:23 PM
As some of you already know, Goldin Auctions was asked to be part of a new sports memorabilia program called 'A Piece of the Game.' There are two episodes that will be airing soon and, on one of the segments, the Lou Gehrig game used bat in Goldin's upcoming auction will be featured. On Friday, we had the honor of meeting with Cal Ripken Jr. in Chicago where Mr. Ripken was gracious enough to meet with us and discuss the bat.

I had heard good things about Mr. Ripken but I honestly wasn't sure what to expect with the meeting given we were asking him to take his time to meet with us. As it turned out, Mr. Ripken could not have been kinder or more congenial. He took a great deal of time to talk about the bat as well as his experiences playing, some of which will air on the 'Piece of the Game' program. Interestingly, Mr. Ripken referenced Lou Gehrig playing in an era some refer to as 'when it was a game' prior to the business side seeming to play a bigger part in baseball. Along those lines, I told Mr. Ripken after the interview that I don't know anyone in the modern era that epitomizes playing for the love of the game more than him. In fact, it is a little know fact that Mr. Ripken was a fantastic pitcher in high school but decided not to pursue a career as a pitcher because he wanted to play every day.

On behalf of Goldin Auctions, I wanted to thank Mr. Ripken for taking the time to meet with us as well as John Maroon of Maroon PR for his help setting up the meeting. Here is a picture of me and Mr. Ripken with the Gehrig bat:

Hi Chris,

Thanks for sharing.

Was able to check out http://www.apieceofthegame.tv/ for the first time and will share a link to your appearance in the future if you don't beat me to it.

Regards

Joel

ChrisCavalier
08-27-2013, 03:35 PM
Here is a short segment of Mr. Ripken talking about the Gehrig bat. I will post a slightly longer version, with some different footage, tomorrow. I hope you enjoy:

http://vimeo.com/73218795

-Chris

MLB~NUT
08-27-2013, 03:58 PM
Kinda surprised to see the bat being manhandled without any kinda gloves!:eek: Maybe its just me...:(

ChrisCavalier
08-27-2013, 05:14 PM
Kinda surprised to see the bat being manhandled without any kinda gloves!:eek: Maybe its just me...:(
That's interesting. When I see the clip I can't help but think about the fact that two of the greatest, most consistent players of their eras, forever linked by their consecutive game streaks, both swung that same bat.

Then again, maybe that's just me :o