PDA

View Full Version : Request for MLB ballpark tips for upcoming trip (DC, BOS, TOR, DET, CIN)

jgalt
08-26-2013, 09:19 PM
Hey everyone,

New here and just getting back into collecting baseball autographs after a 15 year absence. I have a road trip coming up this week and was hoping to get a few helpful tips for the ballparks I'll be at. I used to have the minor league thing down, but I've never even attempted to get an autograph at a MLB game before and I know it's a lot more challenging. I'm basically just trying to form a strategy for the best place and time to be based on my access with the tickets I have. Here's the list of games I'll be at, where my seat is located, and the players I am shooting for:

Miami @ Washington
First Base sideline, 6th row
Bryce Harper
Stephen Strasburg
Jose Fernandez

Baltimore @ Boston
Between Home Plate and First Base Dugout, 4th row
Chris Davis
David Ortiz
Jacoby Ellsbury

KC @ Toronto
First Base Dugout, 1st row
Mark Buehrle
RA Dickey
Jose Reyes
Jose Bautista (DL)

Cleveland @ Detroit
First Base sideline, 6th row
Justin Verlander
Max Scherzer
Miguel Cabrera
Prince Fielder

St Louis @ Cincinnati
3rd Base sideline, 10th row
Matt Holliday
Adam Wainwright

If any of these players don't sign (or won't sign on the sweet spot), just let me know so that I won't be formulating my game plan with them in mind. Also, feel free to add any suggestions for the teams playing that I didn't list. I'm no longer able to watch games as much as when I was a kid and had every player's stats memorized, so I might be overlooking a few players.

I was also wondering if there was a definitive source for information on public signings. I've been scouring the internet and found a few different sites that have a decent amount of information, but I've still run across other random signings that aren't listed anywhere else.

I also see that they have quit making separate AL/NL baseballs now. When getting some of the elder players to sign, is it generally acceptable to use a modern "MLB" ball, or does anyone try to locate new balls from that players era?

Thanks in advance!

cjw
08-26-2013, 10:57 PM
I can give you some advice re Toronto:

You are after Jays sigs (from your list) and the Jays dugout is on the 3rd base side @ the Rogers Centre (oppo to your seats). You can move around during batting practice without much problem but the gates I only open 90 mins before the game and the Jays are typically wrapping up or have wrapped their portion of BP by that time.

If you get lucky and the game you are attending is a "fan fest" game, you can get in early with your ticket at gate 10 or 11 and catch the Jays portion of BP. If not, it will be tough to get any Jays sigs.

If the game isn't a get away day you may have some luck in the Hotel lobby. (Renaissance is attached to the stadium). Hotel is on the north west side of the stadium. If you don't have a hotel booked you may want to stay there. You shouldn't have any issues with the staff either way if you hang out for autos but as a guest, you will have no problems lingering in the lobby. Good for Jays, broadcasters, etc, you never know.