PDA

View Full Version : $50 reward! Help on Video proof for ICHIRO's ACTUAL 1ST YANKEE HIT BALL!

al3xmac10
08-27-2013, 05:04 PM
I have an MLB-authenticated game used baseball of Russell Martin's 3rd inning groundout on the July 23, 2010 game at Seattle.
The MLB hologram # is [EK242013].

Yankees 4 - 1 Mariners
Win = Hiroki Kuroda
Loss = Kevin Millwood
Save = Soriano

However, I think that this ball is also the actual ball slapped by Ichiro to center field for his 1st hit as a New York Yankee.
Here is the play-by-play for the top of the 3rd inning:

A Jones struck out swinging.
I Suzuki singled to center.
I Suzuki stole second.
R Martin grounded out to second, I Suzuki to third.
D Jeter grounded out to second.

http://i41.tinypic.com/e6c277.jpg

I found this video of Ichiro's 1st hit:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7YB5JBHyt2g&feature=related

In this fan video, after the Ichiro hit, the outfielder throws it in to the 2nd baseman, the 2nd baseman tosses it to the shortstop, and the shortstop tosses the ball back to the pitcher. From what it looks like, the ball hit by Ichiro could have been used on the next batter (Russell Martin).

However, in the TV coverage, SINCE THE HIT OF ICHIRO WAS REPLAYED ON THE TELECAST, IT WAS NOT SHOWN IF PITCHER (Kevin Millwood) USED THE SAME BALL (Ichiro's 1st Yankee hit ball) TO PITCH TO RUSSELL MARTIN.
In addition, it can be verified from the TV telecast that only 1 ball was used during Martin's at bat until he grounded out.

Here is my request:
Ultimately, I would like to request the help of someone who had an in-stadium video of this game's 3rd inning (or someone who has a contact with YES Network/Steiner), to provide the lost footage between Ichiro's hit and the first pitch of Russell Martin's at-bat, and prove beyond reasonable doubt whether one ball was used in Ichiro's at-bat and Russell Martin's at-bat or not.

I offer $50 to anyone who can help in solving this mystery.

Thank you very much for your time and help!

al3xmac10
08-28-2013, 05:49 PM
Hoping someone can help, thank you!

coxfan
08-29-2013, 07:29 AM
I hope someone can help, but I've looked at MLB.com's video that's given with the "box" and play-by-play on their scoreboard calendar for 7-23-12. That video seems to show that new ball was thrown in at the start of Ichiro's AB. The pitch on the stolen base may have scraped the ground in front of the catcher, but I can't tell for sure. Unfortunately, there's no way to tell from that video if a new ball was thrown in either after the hit or the stolen base. Since his hit got a lot of outfield grass, there may be some grass stains on that hit ball.

I know this doesn't help much, but I hope everybody knows how to use MLB.com's "scoreboard" calendar (under the "Scores" tab) to go back to old games. Sometimes video of key moments is there, along with the play-by-play which includes a description of each pitch in the game.

dplettn
08-29-2013, 10:10 AM
coxfan, I believe his project is trying to look at 7-23-10, rather than 7-23-12. You may have accidentally typed 2 for 0 in year though.

This thread is very intriguing for me. I have been passionate about hit balls for quite some time (my focus is Joey Votto). An authentication in the database often only details the last event the ball was pitched. It can include more if the authenticator took notes of her observance.

It can be disappointing that certain balls aren't authenticated for their greatest relevance, but we all need to realize how amazing MLB's authentication program is and look at this within the appropriate context. With the NFL in contrast, the only way anybody can discern the specifics of use is through photo-matching or notes the equipment room may take.

Grass staining can be useful. For example, Joey Votto's 600th hit came out of play one pitch later, on a pitch into dirt. So visual evidence of grass staining was huge. But there are limitations. Beyond risk of an unethical person altering an item, grass stains fade dramatically over time. Ultimately, I would imagine the only person to whom such evidence can really matter is the 1st owner.

MLB Authentications is already the gold standard. It would be an added attribute if someday they are able (for a fee) to do video research in archives of certain custody to verify whether a ball was kept in play between an event of significance and the event to which a ball is already authenticated.

Good luck in your quest.

I collect Joey Votto and Jay Bruce game used memorabilia. Please contact me if you have anything available for sale or trade: plettner at fuse dot net.

yanks12025
08-29-2013, 10:16 AM
Ichiro wasn't a yankee in 2010. The op made a mistake saying 2010.

coxfan
08-29-2013, 11:04 AM
The date was definitely 7-23-12, as mlb.com's "Scoreboard" for that date has almost 3 minutes of video showing his 1st NYY hit and stolen base from several angles. Ironically, many Seattle fans came to that game thinking he was still a Mariner, only to be shocked to learn he'd just been traded to the visitor's dugout!

One ball I had started with a grass stain, but it chemically morphed into a dirt stain after a few weeks. But a clear indication in this case might be how dirty the ball looks (remembering that all game-used balls start with the "mud-rub" in the umps' locker room.) If the ball was used for a single that rolled as much in the OF grass as the video shows; than stayed in play for several pitches plus a steal attempt; it should be looking a lot dirtier than it did when first thrown into play at the start of Ichiro's AB. A ball used only for Martin's groundout wouldn't be as dirtied.

dplettn
08-29-2013, 04:32 PM
Understood on the year for this particular ball/event (2012).

Logic that a ball should be looking dirtier the longer it was in play sounds intuitive. However, random dirtiness does not provide clarity even if you can eliminate risk of foul play. A couple years ago I got lucky being speculative once in finding evidence. But I haven't speculated again since. Certainty would almost always be fleeting and that would drive me batty.

Whether we already have clarity as individual owners of a particular ball or not, I think it would be beneficial to preserving items with relevance if there were a way to officially have your research done by MLB Authentications (for a fee) using archived video beyond what is available in the games broadcast (as directed). The culture of baseball is one which cherishes history and there were parameters to make such research possible, it would serve that historical appreciation.

Still, its an idea and not a complaint. I'm thankful for what MLB Authentication already does provide.

al3xmac10
08-29-2013, 08:15 PM
Thanks for everyone's replies.
Yes, this ball was used 7/23/2012.
Here are more pics, the ball has dirt marks:

http://i39.tinypic.com/2dkl45h.jpg
http://i43.tinypic.com/v5he35.jpg
http://i41.tinypic.com/rtomm1.jpg

Hope someone from MLB/YES/Seattle can help, thanks for everyone's interest!

coxfan
08-30-2013, 08:03 AM
Though admittedly speculative, that ball looks to me like it rolled through the outfield. The only possibility for that would be Ichiro's hit, but the lack of certainty is often frustrating with g-u items.

MLB.com's video, showing several angles, is all from YES. Have you tried going to the YES website and e-mailing some contact addresses there? You might get lucky.

Occasionally MLB authenticates more than one use of a ball, but that's rare. I think mlb.com's current auction has a ball that is authenticated both for an intentional BB to Harper, and also for the immediate prior use of the ball. They probably were paying extra attention because Harper was coming up. A procedure for authenticating multiple uses is trickier; maybe in the future.

al3xmac10
08-30-2013, 10:39 AM
I did send emails to MLB, YES Network and Steiner Sports asking for their help in authenticating the baseball, but only Mr. JJ Molesso of Steiner Sports sent me a reply.
He said:

"You would need to contact the league directly.
We can't authenticate something we did not witness firsthand, that's a MLB or YES network issue."

I asked him if he knows someone from YES who can help, but have not received a reply.

trsent
08-30-2013, 11:14 AM
I did send emails to MLB, YES Network and Steiner Sports asking for their help in authenticating the baseball, but only Mr. JJ Molesso of Steiner Sports sent me a reply.
He said:

We can't authenticate something we did not witness firsthand, that's a MLB or YES network issue."

I asked him if he knows someone from YES who can help, but have not received a reply.

Such an odd statement since Steiner has authenticated game used Yankees items for years they didn't see worn from the Yankee Storage room. Oh yeah, and collection they bought and resold that they didn't see signed, such as The Gloria Rothstein collection.

marino13
09-01-2013, 04:05 PM
He said:

:D

Alex, (hahahaha) stop trying to get a $50 gamer into a $500-$1,000 gamer.

But on a serious note, I was a little surprise that they did not keep the first ball hit for Ichiro and so forth. Maybe they did and we have no video of it.

It is very difficult to ask MLB to add additional information that would increase the worth by ten folds.

As Steinersports - they are correct about not seeing it first hand so they couldn't do much either.

As for Yes Network's different camera angels for your purpose --- you dont have enough money to get them to track down the 30 seconds worth of verification! :)

al3xmac10
09-01-2013, 04:38 PM
Hi marino, thanks for your opinion.

Would you know anyone from YES, and do you have any idea how much they would charge?

marino13
09-01-2013, 04:48 PM
Hi marino, thanks for your opinion.

Would you know anyone from YES, and do you have any idea how much they would charge?

I will ask a couple "friends" and see what bounces back.

al3xmac10
09-01-2013, 06:50 PM
marino, thank you very much for your time and help!
Will be looking forward to your post!

ferro39
09-01-2013, 07:01 PM
i dont think it's a question of cost, just that it's not a service they offer.

it would cost them nothing to have an intern dig through video, but it's more than likely not something they will do for you just because they dont want to be bothered and/or dont want to set a precedent of doing it for other people. in my experience, getting even the simplest of answers from tv stations is like pulling teeth

that said, i hope im wrong and you get what you're looking for :)

al3xmac10
09-01-2013, 07:28 PM
ferro, you make a great point.

If no luck is to be found with MLB/YES, then would likely hope for a Mariners/Yankees fan having an in-stadium video of the game's 3rd inning, which is no easy feat as well... .

Dewey2007
09-01-2013, 08:07 PM
Video of the game is available from 3 traders on: www.ihaveplanet.com (http://www.ihaveplanet.com)

I'd contact them all and see if any of them would be willing to sell you a copy. I've contacted a couple of traders in the past and have traded blank dvd discs since I didn't have any game video to trade.

Good luck!

al3xmac10
09-01-2013, 09:21 PM
Dewey, thanks for the great info!
Looked at the site, found the list of traders, thanks.

http://i39.tinypic.com/2njzx4w.jpg

However, are these videos the games shown on TV?
I do have a copy of the game telecast, and since it is not enough to prove that the ball I have is Ichiro's 1st Yankee hit, am looking for YES help, or videos taken live from the stadium by the fans.

http://i43.tinypic.com/2u6mflw.jpg

Thanks for your time and help Dewey!

joelsabi
09-02-2013, 01:17 AM
another possible angle.

a) email people who had videoed the first at bat and asked them if they had edited the youtube video and if yes ask them for the unedited video. most of the videos i saw were cut right after the pitcher received the ball from the cut off person. perhaps the video have a next few seconds where he threw out the ball to first base or kept the ball in play.

b) ask ichiro if he kept the baseball by attempting to email his japanese translator. if anyone kept an eye on the baseball and knows if the baseball was kept in play it has to be ichiro.

also are you sure the baseball wasn't swapped out my the catcher during a pitch caught by the catcher Russell?

al3xmac10
09-02-2013, 04:23 AM
Thanks joelsabi, and to everyone for taking time to comment on and view this thread.

Thanks for the suggestion. I did email the owner of one video on YouTube, but he did not have the part of the 3rd inning that was needed to verify the ball.
I will pursue this angle once again, thank you very much for your idea.

It did not occur to me though to ask Ichiro directly. I do not have his contact details, nor the contact details of his interpreter. I will try to ask the Mariners clubhouse if they remember what happened in this game.

Thank you very much again Joel!

al3xmac10
09-02-2013, 04:56 AM
Posted this message on a YouTube video of Ichiro's 1st Yankee hit, let's see if the video owner will reply.

http://youtu.be/PQErWYBAAl4

Here was my message to him:
"Hi Lee, I would like to ask if you have the rest of the video after Ichiro's hit? I actually have the MLB-authenticated game used ball for the next at-bat, which was Russell Martin's groundout ball. I was wondering if this was the same ball that Ichiro hit for his hit as a New York Yankee, but that footage showing the flight of the ball after Ichiro's hit until Russell Martin's groundout was not shown in its entirety in the YES network game telecast. Hoping you have the footage, thank you!"

Also, regarding your question Joel, it remains unclear if the catcher changed balls during Russell Martin's at-bat, since not everything was caught by the YES telecast.

al3xmac10
09-04-2013, 07:02 PM
Update: No replies yet from the 4 YouTube video owners I have sent messages to.

Still looking for help/leads, thank you!

primeradriver
09-06-2013, 06:52 PM
I bought an Ichiro bobblehead off Craigslist last week. Ended up, she did (Japanese) interpreting for the Mariners. I don't have her e-mail but do have her telephone number. While this may be of some use to you I imagine it would be kind of awkward.

al3xmac10
09-06-2013, 10:15 PM
Thank you primera! Every bit of information helps. Please do let me know the details if you have time, thank you!

al3xmac10
09-07-2013, 04:37 AM
Regarding the request for additional footage, the owner of the Youtube video below replied that: "This is all I took of the event, sorry!"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PQErWYBAAl4&feature=em-comment_reply_received&lch=email_reply&lc=VVDcZ8zS4eSvhwCf-rnJzH_SzyVmCkw7hUG7TV1bJ8Q&lcor=1

Waiting for the other Youtube replies, will update the thread for any developments!