PDA

View Full Version : ricky bell jersey on American memorabilia

jake33
11-26-2006, 10:52 AM
Now, maybe it is wrong for me to assume that sellers and buyers should do their homework before bidding/selling but whatever... Anyways, emailed ameican memorabilia, NO response after 2 days...

Hey, it comes with a Lou lampson COA, so IT MUST be real right?

This ricky bell is wrong. The Bucs used orange numbered and red trim in JUST 1976, the NFL said that the color scheme didn't show up too well on tv because it was too bright, so they went to red numberd and orange trim from 1977-1996. Frank Oliver wore #42 in 1976. Not Bell as he was at USC that year. If you are going to drop $640+ for a jersey KNOW what you are bidding on. This will continue to amaze me.

http://americanmemorabilia.com/Auction_Item.asp?Auction_ID=32809

34swtns
11-27-2006, 12:00 AM
Again, Jake comes through with the valuable info.
Thanks much, as I was watching that one. I thought the nameplate was a little suspect.

RobSteinmetz
11-27-2006, 09:19 AM
Please try to contact AMI again about this jersey. If you contacted them 2 days prior to your post, that would mean they received the email on the Friday of a holiday weekend. I'm certain their offices were closed. If we're going to call items into question, let's give auction houses/dealers a fair shake at replying to our concerns prior to making posts. Thanks to everyone for their cooperation.

Rob

jake33
11-27-2006, 09:32 AM
Rob, I have every single game on video form the Bucs 1977 season, I don't need them to tell me some roundabout story. That will NOT end with them saying "we made a mistake."

If someone slaps you in the face, do you need someone else to tell you what just happened? It isn't a speculation. It is a FACT that the jersey is not legit. I am not saying that american memorabilia did this intentionally nor am I questioning their integrity. After all how can 1 collector/authenticator be an "expert" in every single sport, every single teams uniforms spanning 75 years.

RobSteinmetz
11-27-2006, 09:41 AM
I'm not disputing your findings. In fact, I'm impressed with your research and your desire to help other collectors. I'm simply requesting that we all follow the forum rules and give sellers a fair shake at replying to our concerns.

Thanks,

Rob

jake33
11-27-2006, 10:23 AM
If I hear anything I will post their reply. I might even call them on the phone this week if I don't get an email response, afterall i am still waiting to get a response from Historic auctions from 5 months ago on 2 jerseys that I found grossly incorrect that sold for a total of $3,200.

hblakewolf
11-27-2006, 10:26 AM
Rob-
I agree, we should allow those individuals who have items in question a chance to provide information about our concerns. The question is, how long?

As such, I have not heard anything back from the folks at American Memorabilia about the "Cal Ripken Jr. Batting Practice jersey" in their current auction. I made an earlier post last week about this jersey and the fact that the Baltimore Orioles NEVER wore Rwalings pre-games of this nature. The jersey can be viewed at:
http://www.americanmemorabilia.com/Auction_Item.asp?Auction_ID=32511

Rob, as of this posting, I have not heard anything back from Victor, Kieta or anyone at AMI. I sent them an email via their own website about this. The jersey is still listed/active, and no revision has been made to reflect my concern. Orioles expert and Forum contributor Mark Sutton added to my original post that he believes the "Ripken Pre-game" is actually a Bluefield Orioles minor league jersey.

FYI
Howard Wolf
hblakewolf@patmedia.net

ChrisCavalier
11-27-2006, 10:36 AM
I'm not disputing your findings. In fact, I'm impressed with your research and your desire to help other collectors. I'm simply requesting that we all follow the forum rules and give sellers a fair shake at replying to our concerns.
Hello Jake,

I agree with Rob that your research is impressive and we all thank you for your willingness to help the collecting community. To be clear, the rules are set up to give the seller a chance to reply to legitimate concerns from collectors. Sometimes there is more information about an item than the seller is aware of when attempting to sell an item and contacting them gives them a chance to respond to that new information. While the forum rule states 24 hours, I hope you agree another attempt may be warranted given the holiday weekend.

In the end, I think collectors will have adequate time to digest your information (I believe the auction closes on December 14) and the auction house will also know we are a responsible community that gives them a chance to respond.

Please let us know it that makes sense and thanks again for all you are doing to help the hobby.

Sincerely,
Christopher Cavalier

otismalibu
11-27-2006, 10:44 AM
I've sent 3 or 4 emails to American Memorabilia over the past couple of years. Not one has ever been responded to.

Sent an email to Grey Flannel last week and the question was answered within a day or two.

RobSteinmetz
11-27-2006, 11:23 AM
Howard,

My post in this thread was specific to the Ricky Bell jersey situation. In my opinion, emailing AM on the Friday of a holiday weekend and posting that Sunday is not allowing sufficient time for a reply. In other situations, I think forum members can use their best judgement (keeping in mind varying business hours, holiday weekends, etc.).

If others have emailed AM with concerns about specific items and have given them ample time to reply with no response, I believe bringing those concerns to a public forum is a tremendous service to collectors. For those with sincere concerns that don't feel as though email is the best method of communicating with AM, I might also recommend calling their office at the number listed on their website.

In the meantime, keep up the great investigative work!

Rob

hblakewolf
11-27-2006, 11:39 AM
Howard,

My post in this thread was specific to the Ricky Bell jersey situation. In my opinion, emailing AM on the Friday of a holiday weekend and posting that Sunday is not allowing sufficient time for a reply. In other situations, I think forum members can use their best judgement (keeping in mind varying business hours, holiday weekends, etc.).

If others have emailed AM with concerns about specific items and have given them ample time to reply with no response, I believe bringing those concerns to a public forum is a tremendous service to collectors. For those with sincere concerns that don't feel as though email is the best method of communicating with AM, I might also recommend calling their office at the number listed on their website.

In the meantime, keep up the great investigative work!

Rob

Rob-
An auction house the size of AMI should damn well be responsive to all forms of communication including email, phone, fax, etc. When an item is brought into question about the legitimacy, however, my opinion is that written communication is the only avenue. This avoids any possible "he said/she said" scenario that may develop and likewise, allows the response to be posted here on the Forum. In the case of the Ripken and Bell jerseys, both questions were sent via email and as such, a response is certainly expected in a timely manner.

Just my thoughts.

Howard Wolf
hblakewolf@patmedia.net

RobSteinmetz
11-27-2006, 12:08 PM
Howard,

For a second time, let me make it clear that I'm not defending AM, their business practices, or the Bell jersey. My only motivation in jumping in on this thread was to make sure we are all following forum rules. In my estimation, allowing 48 hours during a holiday weekend (in which most businesses are closed) is not allowing sufficent time for a reply.

Regarding the Ripken jersey, you obviously contacted AM about the item several days before the holiday weekend. I'm sure many forum members appreciate your research and I thank you for making the effort to contact them well in advance of your post.

According to several forum members, AM has some room for improvement with regard to email communication. Regardless of whether or not they respond to emails, however, please make the effort and allow reasonable time for a response.

Thanks.

jake33
11-27-2006, 03:48 PM
I am a much bigger fan of Rainbow Mummy than I am of American Memorabilia

http://youtube.com/watch?v=pTQD9RvJRqs

Eric
11-27-2006, 04:06 PM
Has anyone tried emailing Tony Giese at AMI? He has always been helpful when I have asked questions.

tonygiese@americanmemorabilia.com

Eric

jake33
11-28-2006, 02:19 PM
Ok, as of 1:19 PM on 11/28/06 I have not heard anything back yet....

nyg44
11-28-2006, 05:35 PM
Jake33,
I collect NewYork Giants games on video to help in checking out jersey questions. Do you have the Giants Bucs game from 1977? I would be willing to trade one of my other games for it. Thanks Art

CollectGU
11-28-2006, 08:07 PM
Ok, as of 1:19 PM on 11/28/06 I have not heard anything back yet....

The item was pulled yesterday...

RobSteinmetz
11-28-2006, 08:46 PM
Congrats to all the forum members whose research has led to at least two problematic items being pulled from a major auction. Because of situations like this, GUU is having a very positive impact on the hobby. Without a platform in which to share valuable information, these items would have been sold to unsuspecting bidders. Nice work!

jake33
11-30-2006, 03:06 PM
Great to hear they got yanked, but IT SHOULDN"T have to come from pressure for some guy like myself from a forum. These auction houses claim to be experts, I wish they would have more accountability and do more homework, but that debate will go on forever I would assume. The only question is what happened to those two jerseys and who will be the sucker that at some point picks them up?