PDA

View Full Version : 40s-50s Pittsburgh Hornets game worn jersey

Krsoneus
09-06-2013, 10:40 PM
I saw this jersey on ebay the other day and probably researched it for a good hour before the auction was pulled and it was sold privately.

Thought I would share it for others, as its a pretty unique find some may find intersting.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/161100912769?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649#ht_3187wt_1035

I don't pretend to know much about AHL hockey gamers but this one was pretty intriguing considering how scarce they apparently are.

I couldnt find a single complete sale/auction anywhere on the web for one of these, and I was curious what they were worth...

Interesting, it's claimed as direct provenance from the player, but the team photo he has posted as a "match" from 1955 clearly shows a slightly different style jersey, laced up collar, and different font to the "5" with a downward bend on the top edge of the "5" in the photo...

But the black and white team photo below of the 1947-48 Pittsburgh Hornets (team photos found here : http://pittsburghhockey.net/other-teams/hornets-ahl/hornets-seasons-in-review/1947-48-pittsburgh-hornets-ahl)
Looks like a match, same collar, and same style font on the "15". Other years before and after this year look a little different.

But in the sellers original description he did say "given directly to my uncle in 1955 by Ray Timgren during a training session"
My theory is these 47-48' Jerseys were recycled for later use in the practice.

I had read somewhere that some of the Hornets uni's were actually recycled from other teams like the Detroit Redwings and Detroit Olympics, but i looked at photos and couldnt match this style to any other team and I personally think it was original as a 47-48 Armand Lemieux gamer.

If this stays in a private collection, congrats to the buyer for the unique pickup and I hope if they find this thread that the above info is helpful, but if it ends up being consigned to an auction house I'd love to know, very curious to see what it goes for on the open market.
(At $560 I had a bid on it :) ....After it was pulled I was told the private offer was HIGH 4-Figures, comparable to Peyton Manning/Ray Lewis gamer prices...)

Phil316
09-07-2013, 02:44 PM
Nice post and a nice sweater.

Krsoneus
09-08-2013, 11:33 PM
Thanks Phil316!