PDA

View Full Version : NFL Hard Knocks 2013 - Recycling of Cincinnati Bengals game jerseys.

scottishcowboy41
09-08-2013, 04:15 PM
I just watched the final episode of this year’s NFL Hard Knocks with the Cincinnati Bengals. It showed footage of nameplates being removed from all the game jerseys of the players who didn’t make the team during the final cuts to make the 53 man roster. As a collector of Cowboys game jerseys myself, this was uncomfortable viewing.

I know teams do this plate-change now and again and more commonly issue players with unused jerseys from previous years. For example a player could have worn a 08 tagged jersey in 2011. But in this Hard Knocks episode every jersey for every cut player had the nameplate removed so the jerseys could be recycled and used for future players that join the team.

Now these weren’t star players by any means, but surely you Bengals fans would have loved to have bought those game jerseys for your collections, even though they were just game used or game issued pre-season jerseys of the bottom tier players on the roster. Fullback John “The Terminator” Conner was cut from the team, but his game jersey would have been a nice addition to any collector of Bengals gamers. Or what about Aaron Maybin, an 11th overall pick by the Bills a couple of years ago, and a huge bust. I’m sure collectors of NFL gamers of former Penn State players would have snapped that one up. I sure did wince a bit as those CONNOR and MAYBIN nameplates were unstitched.

With the way the economy is these days, all businesses want to save money. So will this extreme recycling of game jerseys by the Bengals and other NFL teams become more prevalent in the future? I sure hope not! I know these were bottom tier players, but a game used jersey is still a game used jersey. I would have thought the teams would make more money selling these jerseys on via NFL Auctions, auction houses, companies like Steiner, the team Proshop or the team tent sale etc, than Nike would charge them to make new one’s etc.

Anabolicollege17
09-08-2013, 09:24 PM
I understand what your saying but there was no evidence of the jerseys being given to current players, or new players once removed. The jerseys could be one day auctioned with no name plates or given to season ticket holders for autographs.

scottishcowboy41
09-09-2013, 04:17 AM
I understand what your saying but there was no evidence of the jerseys being given to current players, or new players once removed. The jerseys could be one day auctioned with no name plates or given to season ticket holders for autographs.

I think it is more than likely the jerseys had the nameplates removed to be used again for future players. The jerseys would have much more value for auctioning or be much more appealing to season ticket holders with the nameplate on, so why remove the nameplate if your theory is true? I wouldn't have a game jersey in my collection with a nameplate removed. That would ruin the appeal of the jersey to me totally. So I would strongly suggest the recycling theory is much more realistic.

ivo610
09-09-2013, 12:21 PM
I just watched the final episode of this year’s NFL Hard Knocks with the Cincinnati Bengals. It showed footage of nameplates being removed from all the game jerseys of the players who didn’t make the team during the final cuts to make the 53 man roster. As a collector of Cowboys game jerseys myself, this was uncomfortable viewing.

I know teams do this plate-change now and again and more commonly issue players with unused jerseys from previous years. For example a player could have worn a 08 tagged jersey in 2011. But in this Hard Knocks episode every jersey for every cut player had the nameplate removed so the jerseys could be recycled and used for future players that join the team.

Now these weren’t star players by any means, but surely you Bengals fans would have loved to have bought those game jerseys for your collections, even though they were just game used or game issued pre-season jerseys of the bottom tier players on the roster. Fullback John “The Terminator” Conner was cut from the team, but his game jersey would have been a nice addition to any collector of Bengals gamers. Or what about Aaron Maybin, an 11th overall pick by the Bills a couple of years ago, and a huge bust. I’m sure collectors of NFL gamers of former Penn State players would have snapped that one up. I sure did wince a bit as those CONNOR and MAYBIN nameplates were unstitched.

With the way the economy is these days, all businesses want to save money. So will this extreme recycling of game jerseys by the Bengals and other NFL teams become more prevalent in the future? I sure hope not! I know these were bottom tier players, but a game used jersey is still a game used jersey. I would have thought the teams would make more money selling these jerseys on via NFL Auctions, auction houses, companies like Steiner, the team Proshop or the team tent sale etc, than Nike would charge them to make new one’s etc.

NFL auctions is for charity. They dont make money off of things there to my knowledge.
What auction house is going to want a bunch of players who never played in a regular season game? What, sell every teams leftovers? So 700-1200 jerseys? That will drastically lower the profile of any auction house. The cost to put a $50 item up for auction? yeah its not going to be worth the $20 they would get out of the few that sold. It would be a mess. The labor involved would be crazy.
Steiner terminated their deal with the cowboys because they couldnt sell lower tier players that actually played in games. The business model doesnt work.
Tent sale or Team store? Maybe but I already see NFL teams with game jerseys from no name players that are sitting on their website with no interest. Ebay is cluttered with them too, last week it was a bunch of panthers jerseys. Cowboys are one of the biggest fan bases in the league and their jerseys from no name players are a dime a dozen.
Teams recycling jerseys is the best for business, its quick and easy, and doesnt cost them anything other than the few moments of labor.

Anabolicollege17
09-09-2013, 02:14 PM
Scottish those jerseys have very little value. They are all bumbs. And John Connor is the biggest imo... I don't think its worth the Bengals time to sell them.

scottishcowboy41
09-09-2013, 03:34 PM
NFL auctions is for charity. They dont make money off of things there to my knowledge.
What auction house is going to want a bunch of players who never played in a regular season game? What, sell every teams leftovers? So 700-1200 jerseys? That will drastically lower the profile of any auction house. The cost to put a $50 item up for auction? yeah its not going to be worth the $20 they would get out of the few that sold. It would be a mess. The labor involved would be crazy.
Steiner terminated their deal with the cowboys because they couldnt sell lower tier players that actually played in games. The business model doesnt work.
Tent sale or Team store? Maybe but I already see NFL teams with game jerseys from no name players that are sitting on their website with no interest. Ebay is cluttered with them too, last week it was a bunch of panthers jerseys. Cowboys are one of the biggest fan bases in the league and their jerseys from no name players are a dime a dozen.
Teams recycling jerseys is the best for business, its quick and easy, and doesnt cost them anything other than the few moments of labor.

$50 for a 2012 Nike game used NFL jersey? Really?! I don't think many of us NFL game used jersey collectors have a Nike gamer in our collections yet. I collect Cowboys game used jerseys but I can't afford 4 figures for a Nike gamer. I'd be happy to have a pre-season Nike gamer of a long-shot player I liked and whose progress I followed throughout training camp but got cut at the last minute. I take on board what you are saying about the logistics of how and where to shift all the jerseys, but at the moment I would say there would be a high demand for these jerseys because of the move to Nike jerseys.

My main point however was I didn't like to see game used jerseys taken apart for re-use. As a game used collector and a fan fan, I thought it was a real shame. I have a game used Cowboys helmet, 5 Cowboys practice used jerseys, 10 Cowboys game used jerseys , 1 pair of Cowboys game used gloves and a Cowboys game used equipment bag. I consider myself very fortunate to own and cherish these items. Many football fans don't own any game used items and would dearly love to own a real game used jersey NFL, no matter how low a tier the player. Not everyone is as lucky as us. Something to consider for the average joe football fan...

scottishcowboy41
09-09-2013, 03:41 PM
Scottish those jerseys have very little value. They are all bumbs. And John Connor is the biggest imo... I don't think its worth the Bengals time to sell them.

I think any 2013 Nike game used jersey would have some decent value because of the recent move from Reebok. I don't see any 2012 or 2013 Nike gamers anywhere for sale for next to nothing.

We all have opinions on players. Not quite sure I agree Connor is a bum. He just joined the league 10 years too late, where real fullbacks are becoming extinct.

Texans
09-09-2013, 04:11 PM
Dont the team pay Nike for the jersey? If that is the case I can see why teams recycle jersey. Why waste there money if they can reuse it. Not worth it to sale a player cut from the roster for $100

ivo610
09-09-2013, 04:48 PM
$50 for a 2012 Nike game used NFL jersey? Really?! I don't think many of us NFL game used jersey collectors have a Nike gamer in our collections yet. I collect Cowboys game used jerseys but I can't afford 4 figures for a Nike gamer. I'd be happy to have a pre-season Nike gamer of a long-shot player I liked and whose progress I followed throughout training camp but got cut at the last minute. I take on board what you are saying about the logistics of how and where to shift all the jerseys, but at the moment I would say there would be a high demand for these jerseys because of the move to Nike jerseys.

My main point however was I didn't like to see game used jerseys taken apart for re-use. As a game used collector and a fan fan, I thought it was a real shame. I have a game used Cowboys helmet, 5 Cowboys practice used jerseys, 10 Cowboys game used jerseys , 1 pair of Cowboys game used gloves and a Cowboys game used equipment bag. I consider myself very fortunate to own and cherish these items. Many football fans don't own any game used items and would dearly love to own a real game used jersey NFL, no matter how low a tier the player. Not everyone is as lucky as us. Something to consider for the average joe football fan...

Sorry to disappoint you but most football fans don't get a sh*t about game used items. You know what they get excited about? Autographs. Show your $15,000 jersey and they shrug because it isn't autographed. Common jerseys are plentiful on eBay yet all these fans you talk about don't buy them. Packers have a tent sale, some of the best game used jerseys in decades are available. You know the big item was? Old seats. Most fans want nicknacks. If there was a demand for bum player jerseys then Steiner would have renewed their contract with the cowboys.

You should be able to get a conners jersey for a $100-$200 if you look around I'm sure. But you want the 2012 Nike one, which at the moment isn't as plentiful, but if all teams sold them they wouldn't sell all of them even at the dirt price of $50. Teams need the jerseys, the business model doesn't work to please a few fans. Unless you are willing to pay several hundred dollars you won't get a Nike jersey today. I'm sure they will be very plentiful in a couple seasons.

commando
09-09-2013, 08:14 PM
It's about time memorabilia resellers finally realized that newer common player jerseys ain't worth much on the resale market... Same goes for common player helmets, too (you can find a buyer for them, but not for the $800 to $1,200 that is asked). These resellers may have sold a few jerseys and helmets to hardcore collectors for high retail prices, and if and when these collectors try to move these items they'll get a small fraction back of what they originally paid.

Some of us may not realize how small the GU collecting community really is. In my dealings, I seem to cross paths with a handful of people over and over. And those collectors have limited funds to spend as they search the world over for their next treasure!

jake33
09-09-2013, 08:57 PM
That is very true.... NFL fans in general are not big into game used. I don't get that, I think NFL game used jerseys look amazing, way better quality than retail jerseys.

In baseball, players can play 10-15 years regularly, in the NFlL there is no minor league and there really isn't that many "prospects." It is a sink or swim league. And the few guys that are stars in the NFL are big for a VERY VERY brief periods of time, and then the value crashes.
Same with football cards, I don't know how people make money on football cards, one knee injury and a guys value and career is shot.

Also, defensive players are an issue. There are not that many Ray LEwis type guys out there. Guys like Javon Kearse, huge first season but never match his inital value again. I don't like that, the league is about stars and flash and raw emotion, all that doen't seem to hold well for run of the mill guys that can live forever..... Look at guys like Mark Lemke, Dan Johnson, Scott Brocious, Aaron Boone, Bucky Dent, Dave Roberts, guys with a blah career with major feats. Yes, that can happen in football (Larry Brown, Desmond Howard, and Chris Reis to name a few), but not nearly as muich as in baseball.

Football game used items, don't seem to hold weight and in my opinion they show more personality and story than most baseball game used items.

Anabolicollege17
09-10-2013, 12:01 AM
Lol anyone remember the John Beck jersey from NFL auctions? That says it all.

But yeah the average NFL fan is happy with a 30$ china knock off nike jersey because its stitched. Only a few of my friends can actually tell a game worn jersey from a fake. And thats because I've showed them what to look for. I like Game worn jerseys of stars like starting QB's because they tell a story about that game they played in, or the career year they had the year that the jersey was worn. Or if there is a special patch added like the awesome vibrant HOF patches last year.

G1X
09-10-2013, 01:23 AM
My friends Jake and Anthony said it well in their posts, and it bears repeating. In general, NFL fans are not big into collecting game-used jerseys and helmets, especially when compared to baseball fans/collectors. The game-used hobby is indeed very small in the grand scheme of things. As a collector of game-used football jerseys as well as being a dealer for nearly 40 years, I could spend hours on this subject, but I well keep it very short by stating a few things I have observed over the years that are relevant to this thread:

- "Recycling" football jerseys is nothing new. This has been done since the advent of the game.

- Football jerseys of common and lower tier players do not sell nearly as well as commons/lower tier baseball jerseys. This is especially so with linemen on both sides of the ball and defensive players in general.

- While most collectors in this forum are hard-core collectors and might never dream of wearing the jerseys in their collection, a number of my customers want to wear their jerseys, especially since the prices are usually lower than an authentic retail jersey. Modern-era jerseys are not conducive for wearing because of the cut and fit, especially lineman jerseys and others that have little of no sleeves, so they can be very difficult to sell.

- Jerseys that do not show game wear can be very difficult to sell. Why should the Bengals Team Store (or the Gridiron Exchange, for that matter) take up floor space for something that will most likely not move very quickly?

- Preseason jerseys of players who did not make the roster have very little retail value unless the player is from a large college that has several collectors who specialize in collecting items from that school. Again, why should the Bengals Team Store take up floor space for something that will most likely not sell very quickly?

- Most important of all, please keep in mind that the equipment managers for most teams could not care less about the small world of game-used collectors. I am assuming that they have a budget and are trying to control costs. If a jersey is still usable, what is the incentive to send it upstairs to the Team Store (the store probably does not want this "non-selling" item to begin with) when the equipment staff can simply re-plate the jersey and use it again. To them, it is just a commodity, and if it is still usable, why toss it out? Their concern is outfitting their team, not what Joe Collector is looking for to add to the collection.

The bottom line is that there is not a valid marketing reason for a team to actively pursue selling preseason jerseys of players who were cut. It is not practical to try to satisfy the wants of a handful of collectors. This might sound harsh to some collectors, but the priority of the equipment staff is to outfit the players, not to make collectors happy.

Mark Hayne
Gridiron Exchange
gixc@verizon.net

abstractheory
09-10-2013, 04:03 AM
"Unless you are willing to pay several hundred dollars you won't get a Nike jersey today. I'm sure they will be very plentiful in a couple seasons."

Exactly! All these people in love with these new Nike jerseys (still not quite sure why) just need to wait a little. They will soon flood the market just like the Reebok gamers did. Just relax.

Hoshal13
09-10-2013, 10:57 AM
Lol anyone remember the John Beck jersey from NFL auctions? That says it all.

But yeah the average NFL fan is happy with a 30$ china knock off nike jersey because its stitched. Only a few of my friends can actually tell a game worn jersey from a fake. And thats because I've showed them what to look for. I like Game worn jerseys of stars like starting QB's because they tell a story about that game they played in, or the career year they had the year that the jersey was worn. Or if there is a special patch added like the awesome vibrant HOF patches last year.

I wonder if that's the Beck I own lol, I didn't pay anywhere near that.

Anabolicollege17
09-10-2013, 11:40 AM
Lol nah hosh the Beck was white and game used. It sold for I think 7 grand when he first went to the Dolphins.

Anabolicollege17
09-10-2013, 11:51 AM
"Unless you are willing to pay several hundred dollars you won't get a Nike jersey today. I'm sure they will be very plentiful in a couple seasons."

Exactly! All these people in love with these new Nike jerseys (still not quite sure why) just need to wait a little. They will soon flood the market just like the Reebok gamers did. Just relax.

I disagree. No More J.O sports to flood the market. And a ton of teams don't sell them anymore (and a lot of teams recycle). I don't think they will be easy to get at all. You know how many nike jerseys hit eBay from now until release? 15 jerseys. Getting Nike jerseys will not be as easy as it is to get reeboks.

Nike is 100x better than reebok. All I buy is Nike sneakers, I would never ever buy a pair of reeboks. So I guess I'm a Nike loyalist. I think the swoosh on an NFL uniform is the best. Also the quality of the Nike gamers is second to none.

jake33
09-10-2013, 12:31 PM
Only 15 Nike jerseys have hit ebay so far?

I just collect Bucs game used jerseys and these have been on ebay.

Dallas Clark Red
Dallas Clark White
Davin joseph White
Gerald McCoy red

So are you saying that 4 of the 15 total Nike game used NFL jerseys to hit ebay were Buccaneers jerseys?

Mulligans
09-10-2013, 02:10 PM
I have quite a few GU Nike Jerseys and I certainly wouldn't pay extra for one? IMO.....There is absolutely nothing special about them at all....other than the fact that they seem to rip a lot easier.

I agree....once a couple of years go by, there will be far less of a discussion......Just like all of the Jersey Brands that came before them.

Anabolicollege17
09-10-2013, 05:06 PM
Jake Believe it or not I was including those Buccs gamers in on the 15. I saw every single one of those buccs gamers. They are plentiful on NFL auctions but eBay there aren't many at all.

And they do rip a lot easier due to the spandex upper.

abstractheory
09-10-2013, 08:06 PM
I disagree. No More J.O sports to flood the market. And a ton of teams don't sell them anymore (and a lot of teams recycle). I don't think they will be easy to get at all. You know how many nike jerseys hit eBay from now until release? 15 jerseys. Getting Nike jerseys will not be as easy as it is to get reeboks.

Nike is 100x better than reebok. All I buy is Nike sneakers, I would never ever buy a pair of reeboks. So I guess I'm a Nike loyalist. I think the swoosh on an NFL uniform is the best. Also the quality of the Nike gamers is second to none.

Love to know where you got your facts about how many have hit ebay...Amazing!...Trust me we ALL know you LOVE Nike at this point since it's mentioned in almost all of your posts thus far.

Still would love to know why the quality is "second to none"...Oh yeah, I forgot, because you buy their shoes and think the swoosh looks "the best"...Really?? I own both and don't seen the big deal really, but whatever.

Bottom line is Nike jerseys WILL be available on ebay and other places in time... Sheeesh

abstractheory
09-10-2013, 08:07 PM
I have quite a few GU Nike Jerseys and I certainly wouldn't pay extra for one? IMO.....There is absolutely nothing special about them at all....other than the fact that they seem to rip a lot easier.

I agree....once a couple of years go by, there will be far less of a discussion......Just like all of the Jersey Brands that came before them.

yup! Nicely stated.

abstractheory
09-10-2013, 08:08 PM
Only 15 Nike jerseys have hit ebay so far?

I just collect Bucs game used jerseys and these have been on ebay.

Dallas Clark Red
Dallas Clark White
Davin joseph White
Gerald McCoy red

So are you saying that 4 of the 15 total Nike game used NFL jerseys to hit ebay were Buccaneers jerseys?

:)

abstractheory
09-10-2013, 08:16 PM
Jake Believe it or not I was including those Buccs gamers in on the 15. I saw every single one of those buccs gamers. They are plentiful on NFL auctions but eBay there aren't many at all.

And they do rip a lot easier due to the spandex upper.

No, they rip a lot easier because of the over all material used to construct them.

gingi79
09-10-2013, 08:16 PM
The worst part was they didn't even use seam rippers, just a straight edge razor blade. "Oh, you want a game worn jersey from this player? Riiiiip" "Who?"

Some of us collect guys who aren't wearing #15. Many of us know some guy who signed on as an undrafted rookie, random 3 year player, etc. I happen to like Maybin but his Preseason jerseys don't exist now. The name on his Bengals jersey was removed quicker that the stubble next to my goatee

Anabolicollege17
09-10-2013, 09:54 PM
No, they rip a lot easier because of the over all material used to construct them.

Yes and that material is Spandex lol

Mattapan03
09-10-2013, 10:29 PM
I will have to respectfully disagree about the quality of Nike jersey's being better than Reebok.

I own both Reebok and Nike game jersey's and I prefer the Reebok's hands down. They actually look like real football jersey's, not some silly gimmick model jersey that nike puts together.

Nike might have a hold on you anabolic, but not me, nor many of the people on here. There is NOTHING to make the case that the jersey's are better other than you brand loyalty.

Too bad nike isnt paying you.

Anabolicollege17
09-10-2013, 10:54 PM
Yeah Matt I agree. Its opinion based. Just like some people like there coffee black and others cream and sugar. Its all personal preference so theres no right or wrong. I prefer the pro-combat nike look, and most of all the feel. They are very comfortable once put on (as long as your in decent shape and wear your true size). I think the stretch twill feature is especially cool. The only part I don't like is the sweat box. I can tell you that I love the new nike pants over the reeboks, I know some of you will still prefer reebok pants. I picked up a few pairs and will post pictures soon.

Oh I also like the NFL shield on Nike jerseys so much better.

abstractheory
09-10-2013, 11:36 PM
I will have to respectfully disagree about the quality of Nike jersey's being better than Reebok.

I own both Reebok and Nike game jersey's and I prefer the Reebok's hands down. They actually look like real football jersey's, not some silly gimmick model jersey that nike puts together.

Nike might have a hold on you anabolic, but not me, nor many of the people on here. There is NOTHING to make the case that the jersey's are better other than you brand loyalty.

Too bad nike isnt paying you.

I think you hit the nail on the head, Matt...The gimmick is new and therefore attracts some people, which is cool....But, the all out, fall over, love for Nike is just weird. I think the jerseys look good enough, but to say the construction/material quality is better is just confusing.

He must be getting a Nike kickback.

abstractheory
09-10-2013, 11:50 PM
Yes and that material is Spandex lol

Yeah, super, specially engineered, deep space, high quality Nike spandex, right?

Btw, Nike made Broncos' jerseys (along with other teams) in the late 90's. They used almost the exact same construction and material as reebok (I own a few) when they took over. So, was the Nike quality bad in the late 90's??

Looks like Reebok was just following Nike's lead and giving the NFL what they wanted.

Anabolicollege17
09-11-2013, 12:03 AM
Abstract Nike also sent out patches to teams and said here sew this over reebok logos, starter logos, and other logos. I don't think they really cared what the materials were. As long as there logo was front and center on each sleeve they were happy. The present nike actually cares about player performance. You ask any player nike or reebok 100% will say nike. They are 10 times lighter (for those of you who own new nike pants compared to reebok you hold both in each hand and tell me if you feel a difference, also try on both pairs and tell us which is better) Nike didn't make these jerseys with collectors in mind. They made them for the lightest, tightest (while maintaining comfort, and keeping defenders from grabbing a hold) and durable. If you don't like collecting new nike jerseys than its simple don't do it. I myself will only collect new Nike jerseys from this point on. The more rips and repairs the better for me. I hated that reebok mesh, and esp that dazzle everywhere. Theres a reason the Eagles and panthers are the only team that kept dazzle shoulders, its because they match there dazzle helmets very well.

abstractheory
09-11-2013, 12:51 AM
Abstract Nike also sent out patches to teams and said here sew this over reebok logos, starter logos, and other logos. I don't think they really cared what the materials were. As long as there logo was front and center on each sleeve they were happy. The present nike actually cares about player performance. You ask any player nike or reebok 100% will say nike. They are 10 times lighter (for those of you who own new nike pants compared to reebok you hold both in each hand and tell me if you feel a difference, also try on both pairs and tell us which is better) Nike didn't make these jerseys with collectors in mind. They made them for the lightest, tightest (while maintaining comfort, and keeping defenders from grabbing a hold) and durable. If you don't like collecting new nike jerseys than its simple don't do it. I myself will only collect new Nike jerseys from this point on. The more rips and repairs the better for me. I hated that reebok mesh, and esp that dazzle everywhere. Theres a reason the Eagles and panthers are the only team that kept dazzle shoulders, its because they match there dazzle helmets very well.

Dude, I don't even know why I care, but your silly replies keep compelling me to respond. So, this is the last I will say on the topic:

I collect game used equipment... Nike, Reebok, Rawling, Riddell, etc.... I told you that I own all of it and will continue to collect it no matter WHO makes it as long as it fits into my collection. Your constant love affair with the Nike brand is just weird and it's like you're some kind of Nike fanboy. You can't like Nike and Reebok products at the same time? just weird.

My point is, your posts come across as facts instead of opinion based...Like, "Only 15 Nike jerseys have ever appeared on ebay thus far", and, "The quailty is hands down better", or "The Nike jerseys will forever be hard to find because JO is no longer a major player" or "100% of the players prefer Nike jerseys", or "So and so is buying up all the NFL Nike jerseys on the NFL auctions, so he's a sports card owner" (he isn't by the way). You must have some great contacts to know all of this stuff as fact.

You state and post as facts, and then when called out, you say they are just opinions. That's all I'm saying.

Finally, who actually wears game used pants around the house to compare quality? :confused: These are the statements that keep drawing me in to respond to your posts.

Sounds like you are a brand name collector more than a game used collector.

scottishcowboy41
09-11-2013, 02:25 AM
The worst part was they didn't even use seam rippers, just a straight edge razor blade. "Oh, you want a game worn jersey from this player? Riiiiip" "Who?"

Some of us collect guys who aren't wearing #15. Many of us know some guy who signed on as an undrafted rookie, random 3 year player, etc. I happen to like Maybin but his Preseason jerseys don't exist now. The name on his Bengals jersey was removed quicker that the stubble next to my goatee

Gingi79 - This is the kind of compassionate response I thought I would evoke when I initially posted this thread. You get my point 100%. These are real NFL game jerseys of a football players with enough skill, talent and athletisim to nearly make an NFL roster! The players and the jerseys have been on a long and massively important journey and with 1 minutes work with a razor blade that story ended along with the desire for ownership for a collector.

Putting the economics and locisitics of whether teams should sell or recycle jerseys, as a collector myself, I thought this butchering of an NFL gamer sucked. Thanks Gingi79, I was beginning to think it was just me that felt that way.

Mulligans
09-11-2013, 05:41 AM
Oh and just for the record....I just sold 2 Nike Jerseys on eBay and still have 3 listed. My guess is that there are many more than you think.....I'm not even sure that everyone puts it in their listing?

cohibasmoker
09-11-2013, 07:24 AM
Do NFL teams have the exclusive right to sell a jersey with a players name on it? I think they can sell the jersey because they own the jersey but I'm not so sure they can sell a jersey, with a NOB without the player's permission.

http://www.lexology.com/library/detail.aspx?g=f61c4a02-8b21-4693-a1b6-0904d19e3f58

Wasn't the idea behind a nameplate developed so a nameplate can be either added or removed from a jersey and the jersey reused? Back in the early 1970's, the Eagles had a whole bin full of nameplates that had been removed from jerseys.

Just some thoughts

Jim

Anabolicollege17
09-11-2013, 07:43 AM
Dude, I don't even know why I care, but your silly replies keep compelling me to respond. So, this is the last I will say on the topic:

I collect game used equipment... Nike, Reebok, Rawling, Riddell, etc.... I told you that I own all of it and will continue to collect it no matter WHO makes it as long as it fits into my collection. Your constant love affair with the Nike brand is just weird and it's like you're some kind of Nike fanboy. You can't like Nike and Reebok products at the same time? just weird.

My point is, your posts come across as facts instead of opinion based...Like, "Only 15 Nike jerseys have ever appeared on ebay thus far", and, "The quailty is hands down better", or "The Nike jerseys will forever be hard to find because JO is no longer a major player" or "100% of the players prefer Nike jerseys", or "So and so is buying up all the NFL Nike jerseys on the NFL auctions, so he's a sports card owner" (he isn't by the way). You must have some great contacts to know all of this stuff as fact.

You state and post as facts, and then when called out, you say they are just opinions. That's all I'm saying.

Finally, who actually wears game used pants around the house to compare quality? :confused: These are the statements that keep drawing me in to respond to your posts.

Sounds like you are a brand name collector more than a game used collector.

silly comments? Its called a good old fashioned debate. Whats silly about it?

JDubbs73
09-11-2013, 08:45 AM
http://www.lexology.com/library/detail.aspx?g=f61c4a02-8b21-4693-a1b6-0904d19e3f58

Interesting article, I had not seen that previously. Thanks.

Mattapan03
09-11-2013, 10:52 AM
One more comment I thought I would add. I once interned for an NFL team and along the way developed relationships with the equipment managers who now have gone onto other teams, colleges, etc, and the ones who I have spoken to ALL still prefer the Reebok jersey's over Nike.

PAC
09-11-2013, 10:54 AM
I think any 2013 Nike game used jersey would have some decent value because of the recent move from Reebok. I don't see any 2012 or 2013 Nike gamers anywhere for sale for next to nothing.

Hopefully supply catches up with demand soon.

I want a new 2012 or 2013 Panthers team issued or game used...but the cheapest I've seen is a Gary Barnidge for $900 lol.

commando
09-11-2013, 12:11 PM
All points are well-taken and respected.

I love dealing with football jerseys from the 1970s and 80s. When you find one of these shirts, there MIGHT be a 50/50 chance that an original team-issued nameplate is on the back. And even if one is, when you inspect closer there's another chance that you'll find that more than one nameplate had been sewn on during the jersey's lifetime.

One of the odder examples I've seen was a jersey a forum member owned. If I remember correctly it was a Baltimore Colts jersey with mid-1970s Sand Knit tagging, and it had a nameplate of a guy who played for the team in the mid-1980s! You have to wonder how many different players wore the shirt over the years, or if just one other player did, which one was he?

To be honest, I thought the era of recycling jerseys was just about gone. But now it seems that teams cannot move the common stuff for a profit, so they do indeed recycle common jerseys that show little or no use.

One final note... It appears that the numbers just aren't working with the companies who try to do large team buys. Obviously many teams are getting either no offers at all, or offers that are too low to accept so they recycle the commons. All that glitters ain't gold anymore.

skinsfan0521
09-11-2013, 12:53 PM
First, I was thinking the same thing when I watched that episode... "Nooo... don't they know they can sell those??!!"

But, the more I thought about it (and read this thread), it probably doesn't make financial sense. They must be paying $100-$100 each for these jerseys, right? So, then to sell some common guy who wasn't even good enough to make the team for $75 doesn't make sense. They could just re-issue those jerseys to the guys who aren't going to make the team next year and save themselves thousands of $ overall.

Second, to follow up on several comments (including commando's most recent one), it does seem odd that every team doesn't have an "official memorabilia retailer" for their stuff. Just a few short years ago, it seemed that every team was available. Now, I'm looking for NY Giants (Chris Snee) stuff for the past couple years and there is absolutely nothing out there. It must be because of the lack of profitability. I mean, when you look at Meigray's prices for Redskins jerseys it's just crazy. They're asking no less than $750 for game used jerseys. Some of these guys wouldn't sell for $150 on ebay, but they're asking $750 presumably because they need to in order to make a profit. Why else would you just let inventory sit on your shelves for super inflated prices unless you were going to lose $ on anything less?

With all that being said, when I asked Snee if I would be able to get a jersey from him last year he said that I wouldn't be able to. This year he said maybe, but I'll have to wait until the end of the year to see. These are not the same responses that he's had before when the Giants were openly selling their stuff through their own website or other channels.

Also, you'd think that if it were possible to squeeze a $ out of selling anything, Jerry Jones would have found a way. Yet, even the Cowboys-Steiner relationship has dissolved and nobody knows where to find Cowboys gamers anymore.

At the same time that all of this is going on, there are jerseys going for record prices and Panini has locked up the Broncos and selling Manning jerseys for like $20k each.

There must be a lot more to the economics of it than us outsiders are aware of.

ivo610
09-11-2013, 01:51 PM
First, I was thinking the same thing when I watched that episode... "Nooo... don't they know they can sell those??!!"

But, the more I thought about it (and read this thread), it probably doesn't make financial sense. They must be paying $100-$100 each for these jerseys, right? So, then to sell some common guy who wasn't even good enough to make the team for $75 doesn't make sense. They could just re-issue those jerseys to the guys who aren't going to make the team next year and save themselves thousands of $ overall.

Second, to follow up on several comments (including commando's most recent one), it does seem odd that every team doesn't have an "official memorabilia retailer" for their stuff. Just a few short years ago, it seemed that every team was available. Now, I'm looking for NY Giants (Chris Snee) stuff for the past couple years and there is absolutely nothing out there. It must be because of the lack of profitability. I mean, when you look at Meigray's prices for Redskins jerseys it's just crazy. They're asking no less than $750 for game used jerseys. Some of these guys wouldn't sell for $150 on ebay, but they're asking $750 presumably because they need to in order to make a profit. Why else would you just let inventory sit on your shelves for super inflated prices unless you were going to lose $ on anything less?

With all that being said, when I asked Snee if I would be able to get a jersey from him last year he said that I wouldn't be able to. This year he said maybe, but I'll have to wait until the end of the year to see. These are not the same responses that he's had before when the Giants were openly selling their stuff through their own website or other channels.

Also, you'd think that if it were possible to squeeze a $ out of selling anything, Jerry Jones would have found a way. Yet, even the Cowboys-Steiner relationship has dissolved and nobody knows where to find Cowboys gamers anymore.

At the same time that all of this is going on, there are jerseys going for record prices and Panini has locked up the Broncos and selling Manning jerseys for like $20k each.

There must be a lot more to the economics of it than us outsiders are aware of.

Its no secret, teams want bulk buys. But it doesnt work, Meigray/steiner/JO has to charge high prices for everyone for make it worth their while. Teams are also hesitant because they dont want their name attached to a company like JO when it hits the news that they committed fraud.

The best deal for collectors is for companies to strike individual deals with players.

The best deal for teams is selling game jerseys themselves. But even that comes with its own, very real, headaches.

ivo610
09-11-2013, 01:56 PM
Do NFL teams have the exclusive right to sell a jersey with a players name on it? I think they can sell the jersey because they own the jersey but I'm not so sure they can sell a jersey, with a NOB without the player's permission.

Wasn't the idea behind a nameplate developed so a nameplate can be either added or removed from a jersey and the jersey reused? Back in the early 1970's, the Eagles had a whole bin full of nameplates that had been removed from jerseys.

Just some thoughts

Jim

My understanding is that its the teams property. Once you reach superstar status the team isnt going to battle you on what you want to do with stuff like that. Also most teams offer jerseys and or helmets to the players at the end of the season. Players keep their pro bowl jerseys.

commando
09-11-2013, 02:18 PM
You guys are right, and we've discussed it many time here before. How often do you see jerseys for sale by the teams themselves that are described as "game issued" but show a ton of wear? And sometimes one will be described as "game worn" and be crisp like it was manufactured 20 minutes ago? It is a huge headache for teams to try and keep track of all their jerseys, and the use each jersey may have seen. Team employees have better things to do... things that are directly related to the operation of the team.

Maybe one day teams will place some kind of scannable tag on their game jerseys, and the ones hanging in the players lockers before the game will all get scanned. The jerseys will be electronically logged into a database as being worn by the players on that date.

Mattapan03
09-11-2013, 03:05 PM
I think its comical to see jersey's that JO tried to move for $1,000 not even get a whiff for $150 now. Similarly, I chuckle when I see folks listing jersey's of relatively common players on ebay and asking over $500. Their auctions just sit there and rot.

beaglegypsy003
09-11-2013, 06:03 PM
NFL teams are not in business to cater to the collector. The equipment managers main job is to have jerseys ready for the players. Free agents are given whatever number jersey is available that fits their position. The team is not going to have a jersey made for someone who may be with the team a week or two and who may never see the field. Yes, I wouldn't buy an NFL jersey without a nameplate unless I was damn near sure who wore it. At the same time I wouldn't care who the manufacturer is. The main thing is it fits my niche in collecting whether it is Nike, Reebok, Wilson or whatever else I may find.

Anabolicollege17
09-11-2013, 08:29 PM
NFL teams are not in business to cater to the collector. The equipment managers main job is to have jerseys ready for the players. Free agents are given whatever number jersey is available that fits their position. The team is not going to have a jersey made for someone who may be with the team a week or two and who may never see the field. Yes, I wouldn't buy an NFL jersey without a nameplate unless I was damn near sure who wore it. At the same time I wouldn't care who the manufacturer is. The main thing is it fits my niche in collecting whether it is Nike, Reebok, Wilson or whatever else I may find.

Finally! The post of the thread. Lock it uppppp

G1X
09-12-2013, 12:33 PM

+1

Mark Hayne
Gridiron Exchange
gixc@verizon.net