PDA

View Full Version : Getting Game Used Equipment At Games........

kylehess10
11-26-2006, 08:09 PM
Has anybody here ever had any success with getting game used equipment at games (during the regular season)? I thought that asking the bat boys was the best way but someone told me that the player's are the right people to ask instead of the bat boys. Does anybody know if this is true?

Vintagedeputy
11-26-2006, 08:54 PM
When I was 14, I went to a White Sox game at old Comiskey Park in 1984.

Anyway, Scott Fletcher the Shortstop came up to sign autographs and I asked him if I could have a bat. I even offered him $20 for one of his bats. Hey $20 is a lot of money to a 14 year old! Anyway, he politely refused but still signed my card. I'm sure now I could buy a game used Fletcher bat on ebay for $20.

I still have the autographed card by the way.

stkmtimo
11-26-2006, 09:31 PM
I have never asked but I know people who have and have gotten stuff. I have gotten game worn wristbands from college football players, including one that I am friends with. They're very cool collectibles.

Good luck,

Tim

rose14
11-27-2006, 08:11 AM
Back in the mid 1980's I used to attend St. Louis Cardinals games on a regular basis. One series against the Mets a friend and I were talking to the Mets Equipment Manager, his name was Charlie if I remember correctly and we told him we could fix him up with one of the ushers that he had taking a liking to. We asked him for a couple of bats and next thing I know two bats are being given to me. I didn't even look as I got them and I handed the first one to my friend, a Wally Backman gamer. The second one which I had was well the best you could have gotten back then, Darryl Strawberry. Boy was my friend pissed. They were both great looking with a ton of use on both. I'm sure now the Strawberry isn't worth much more than the Backman. It turned out the usher wouldn't go out with him, but hey we did get a couple of nice bats, at least we thought back then.

jake33
11-27-2006, 08:39 AM
Being such a Big Devil Rays HONK that I am I go to all their games when they play the twins and over the last 3 years I have gotten these

Jonny goems game used batting gloves
Julio Lugo game used hat
Jorge cantu game used hat
Tino Martinez game used batting gloves
and Every year that I go I bring about 20 game used jersey cards and I usually leave witha bout 18 of them signed

At Bucs games I got
Shelton Quarles game used Glove
Jermaine Phillips game used gloves
josh bidwell game used wristband
Tim Rattay's game worn hat from the sidelines

skipcareyisfat
11-27-2006, 10:49 AM
I got a bat from Nick Esasky and a batting glove from Darryl Strawberry. Neither really fit into my collection anymore, but I'll always keep them.

grenda12
01-19-2009, 11:14 PM
How do you bring yourself to ask the player if you can have something of theres?

godwulf
01-19-2009, 11:40 PM
If I seriously wanted to get a game-used item from a player, I'd take my 20-year-old daughter to the game and let her ask. :rolleyes:

Lokee
01-19-2009, 11:40 PM
I have gotten a few items from select players over the years at Safeco Field and at the old Kingdome.

These came from players or employees directly:

Paul Sorrento Game Bat Signed
Jay Buhner Game Bat Signed
John Olerud Game Bat Signed
Dan Wilson Arm Band Signed
Randy Winn Wristbands Signed
Jamie Moyer Used Cleats Signed
Norm Charlton Fielders Glove Signed ( I had some convincing to do for this one)
Mike Cameron Game Used Jersey
Greg Colbrun Game Used Jersey
Mac Suzuki Game Used Jersey
Brent Gates Game Used Jersey

Then I have some BP jerseys and stuff.

My best friend for 10 years is employed by the Mariners and has incredible access to items not usually available to the public.

Then I have a bunch of baseballs and cracked bats from various players.

The coolest thing I got was last year when Bartolo Colon was with Boston. Bartolo and Luis Alicea where chowing down on some McDonalds cheese burgers (the last thing Mr Colon needs to be honest) they had a bag full there must have been 20 of them in there. I politely asked if they had any extras (being the fat kid iam myself) and Luis muttered something in Spanish and they threw me one and laughed.

grenda12
01-19-2009, 11:59 PM
If I seriously wanted to get a game-used item from a player, I'd take my 20-year-old daughter to the game and let her ask. :rolleyes:

Now come on. Im only 22.

I guess the more I think about it. Last year at Spring Training Harold Baines was throwing balls to the kids and my boyfriend was bound and determined to get a ball. It wasnt working for him. He finally left to get food and when he came back he had found that I had a ball.

I yelled Harold, he looked at me. Then I asked for a ball. I got it. The people behind me were amazed, they thought I knew the guy personally. My boyfriend asked how I got it. He was amazed.

Girls do have more advantage for asking for items then guys do. Baseball players are so use to having guys/boys ask for autographs and what not

It works. Ill have to agree with you.

oakesc8855
01-20-2009, 12:00 AM
It is challenging to get stuff from players at games but heres some tips

You can always stand with everyone trying to get auto's get one, and then try and start a convo and at some point slip in at some point how big of a fan you are and if they have any extra batting gloves or cracked bats or anything you'd love that.

2nd after alot of players break bats they give them away, either right after the game or when walking back to the dugout. So you can take note when a player breaks a bat during a game and then afterwards holler at them by name and ask for it.

Carrying on conversations is always the best though some players would give u the shirt off their back and some players wont even give u a smile just gotta find those fan friendly type guys and go for it... Of course this is REALLY easy in my opinion at minor league games and players and alot harder at the Major League level...

Hope this helps good luck.

1986&2004Bosox
01-20-2009, 12:12 AM
Direct From Player

Shea hillebrand game used and signed bat @ fenway
Bichette Game used and signed bat @ fenway
lou merloni Game used and signed bat @ fenway

All 2001 season 3 days in a row.

spartakid
01-20-2009, 12:22 AM
Has anyone ever gotten anything in Oakland? Ricardo

frikativ54
01-20-2009, 01:46 AM
Now come on. Im only 22.

I guess the more I think about it. Last year at Spring Training Harold Baines was throwing balls to the kids and my boyfriend was bound and determined to get a ball. It wasnt working for him. He finally left to get food and when he came back he had found that I had a ball.

I yelled Harold, he looked at me. Then I asked for a ball. I got it. The people behind me were amazed, they thought I knew the guy personally. My boyfriend asked how I got it. He was amazed.

Girls do have more advantage for asking for items then guys do. Baseball players are so use to having guys/boys ask for autographs and what not

It works. Ill have to agree with you.

Not if you're obese. Nothing turns ballplayers off worse than fat women. I happen to have multiple medical conditions, the only medications for which have caused me to gain 100+ lbs. And since I have gained weight, it's been harder to gain sympathy with ballplayers. They don't see that the acne on my face, the weight on my hips, etc. is caused by medication I have to take. And thus they pass me by for thinner, prettier women. Of course, none of them would say that to my face, but the subtext is pretty obvious. It's like I am sorry I am not beautiful, I am sorry I don't look like I could pose in the Swimsuit Edition of SI, I am sorry I am not a model. But other than that, ballplayers have no interest in giving anything to a true fan like me. Life's rough enough with multiple health problems that affect one's daily functioning; it's even worse when athletes judge you by your looks alone, instead of your love for baseball.

chakes89
01-20-2009, 02:33 AM
I have gotten 2-3 bats and a pair of batting gloves by asking at minor league games

Couldn't tell ya who used the bats but the pair of batting gloves came from Reds Minor League C/SS/3B Justin Tordi

(Yeah I said C/SS because he is that bada** :D )

*If anyone has a Justin Tordi bat please let me know. I asked him for a bat after getting the gloves and he said "I will have to look into it" or something along those lines but I never got to see him again to ask or get one. :(

The first player I ever asked for anything game used was Jay Bruce in 2006

I asked him for a pair of batting gloves and he said he couldn't give me any because he needed them for fall ball

Vintagedeputy
01-20-2009, 08:24 AM
Not if you're obese. Nothing turns ballplayers off worse than fat women. I happen to have multiple medical conditions, the only medications for which have caused me to gain 100+ lbs. And since I have gained weight, it's been harder to gain sympathy with ballplayers. They don't see that the acne on my face, the weight on my hips, etc. is caused by medication I have to take. And thus they pass me by for thinner, prettier women. Of course, none of them would say that to my face, but the subtext is pretty obvious. It's like I am sorry I am not beautiful, I am sorry I don't look like I could pose in the Swimsuit Edition of SI, I am sorry I am not a model. But other than that, ballplayers have no interest in giving anything to a true fan like me. Life's rough enough with multiple health problems that affect one's daily functioning; it's even worse when athletes judge you by your looks alone, instead of your love for baseball.

Are you saying that the thinner, prettier women are not true baseball fans? Are you saying that the players should give you stuff because you have an illness? Please.....leave the pity party out of this. The act is getting really old.

camarokids
01-20-2009, 08:36 AM

I find this a little hard to believe. Don't feel that way.

Some of the pretty girls I have known/met throughout my life, were really UGLY/MEAN people inside. The old saying beauty is only skin deep, can be true.

I have a tip for you!

Take some pictures of your collection. While talking to a player, tell them how you enjoy baseball and collecting. Tell them that you are a big fan. Then show them your pics of you collection. Then ask if they crack a bat can you have it for your collection.

I bet this works.

Case in point....

Spring 1997, a girl whom looked a little butch, sorry for the term. She had short hair, a little overweight, and had a girlfriend with her. Was she a lesbian? I don't know or care. She was not a swimsuit model for sure...

But she had a pic of her bat collection, she showed it to Mark Sweeney. He handed her the bat in his hands.

A moment later, I asked how did you do that, she showed me the pic of her bats.

Also let the players see you around the ballpark a few times first. Don't ask for a autograph every time or anything right away.

I have received quite a few bats asking players if they crack a bat and if I am around can I have it. I actually saw the players searching the stands by the dugout. Then walk over and hand me the bat.

Wilson Alvarez gave me a game used fielding glove. He came into my work, I struck up a conversation with him, I gave his daughter a lollipop. Then a couple of times later of seeing him at the training complex, I asked him if he had a old glove I could have. The rest is history....

Good luck....

godwulf
01-20-2009, 08:43 AM
Greg Colbrun Game Used Jersey

Please contact me if you ever have any interest in selling the Colbrunn jersey. Thanks!

Jeff

godwulf1@cox.net

mwbosoxfan
01-20-2009, 09:30 AM
We go to games as a family and always go early to get down by the dugout. While I am the collector, at the games it is all about my kids. I just stand back and take pictures. I feel we've been lucky through the years. Coco Crisp tossed a nice gu bat to my girls at Fenway. Shortly after Tony Graffanino was traded to the Sox, he handed my son I nice used uncracked bat in Minnesota. Numerous players including Papelbon, Jon Lester, Kyle Snyder, and Craig Hansen have tossed balls to my kids, in addition to some nice security folks. I did catch a game ball from Youkilis after the top of the eighth coming off the field at Fenway. While I value my collection of Red Sox bats a great deal, I really cherish the items that were given to my kids because they helped create a lifetime memory in one brief second.

mwbosoxfan
01-20-2009, 09:38 AM

Some of the pretty girls I have known/met throughout my life, were really UGLY/MEAN people inside. The old saying beauty is only skin deep, can be true.

I have a tip for you!

Take some pictures of your collection. While talking to a player, tell them how you enjoy baseball and collecting. Tell them that you are a big fan. Then show them your pics of you collection. Then ask if they crack a bat can you have it for your collection.

I bet this works.

Case in point....

Spring 1997, a girl whom looked a little butch, sorry for the term. She had short hair, a little overweight, and had a girlfriend with her. Was she a lesbian? I don't know or care. She was not a swimsuit model for sure...

But she had a pic of her bat collection, she showed it to Mark Sweeney. He handed her the bat in his hands.

Also let the players see you around the ballpark a few times first. Don't ask for a autograph every time or anything right away.

I have received quite a few bats asking players if they crack a bat and if I am around can I have it. I actually saw the players searching the stands by the dugout. Then walk over and hand me the bat.

Wilson Alvarez gave me a game used fielding glove. He came into my work, I struck up a conversation with him, I gave his daughter a lollipop. Then a couple of times later of seeing him at the training complex, I asked him if he had a old glove I could have. The rest is history....

Good luck....

David, Great, and I mean, GREAT response and a great suggestion to a post that could've gone South.

John

frikativ54
01-20-2009, 04:25 PM

I have a tip for you!

I bet this works.

Case in point....

Good luck....

That's a really good idea. I think I'll try it next time I go to a baseball stadium. Thanks for putting a positive spin on this. I never would have thought to do any of this!

grenda12
01-20-2009, 04:55 PM
That's a really good idea. I think I'll try it next time I go to a baseball stadium. Thanks for putting a positive spin on this. I never would have thought to do any of this!

Last year at Spring Training everyone was standing around the dug out area waiting for the players to come out. Don Cooper came out first and signed autographs. He words were "If you want the players to sign, use your manners" "Use Mr. , Please, and Thank you" You'll get further with that.

chakes89
01-20-2009, 04:59 PM
I don't know about everyone else but I give every player that takes the time to sign something for me a sincere "Thank You" after he is done

I can't stand people that get something signed and then don't even have enough decency to thank the player for doing so

tknorm
01-20-2009, 07:05 PM
Lokee, do you mind sharing pix of your Mike Cameron GU jersey? You can also send them by e-mail if you prefer.

thx,
thomaskirk@cinci.rr.com

70to66
01-20-2009, 08:00 PM
Sean Casey gave me a broken bat, and Fernando Vina gave me one and traded me another one, Bo Hart traded me one.

grenda12
01-20-2009, 08:02 PM
Sean Casey gave me a broken bat, and Fernando Vina gave me one and traded me another one, Bo Hart traded me one.

How'd you go about that?

70to66
01-20-2009, 08:34 PM
Find out what the player likes, Bo Hart Liked a certain player growing up and I traded him a signed 8x10 of the player, Casey just gave me the bat, The Cardinals had a Fernando Vina bobblehead day and I traded him my bobblehead.

jppopma
01-20-2009, 10:55 PM
Here are a few more pointers;

Get good seats, preferably in the front row away from the aisle, where you wont be crowded or asked to move.

Make a connection with them. Joke around, talk smack about their teammates, basically be one of the guys.

Have things to barter with....you'd be suprised at how far trading a bag of peanuts will go.

Wear the visting team's colors, you will stick out and be much more likely to get things from them than being 1 of 10,000 home team fans.

Likewise, if you get your gf to try to get stuff for you...the away players are more open....well if you don't mind removing a hotel phone number from it...

---------

I've never asked for anything myself, but these are the things that I see that work. I leave all of that to my two year old son who simply waves and says hi and gets stuff.

Nathan
01-21-2009, 12:51 AM
I've spent a decent amount of times around various pro athletes, and this is a big thing for me and for most of them.

If you can help it, don't ask for an autograph. Talk to an athlete the way you would your next door neighbor...how are you doing, (if he's new to his current team) how do you like the city, stuff like that. I had a nice 30-minute discussion a few weeks ago with a pro athlete over whether organic food is more beneficial to the body than non-organic, where in town to find the best food, our mutual hatred of traffic in this area, etc.

I actually do own one of his jerseys, but I didn't show that to him until after we'd already talked.

geoff
01-21-2009, 01:20 AM
When I ask for Autographs at Games or outside the Stadium I say MR to that Player even if he is younger then me and alot are.I have asked a few different times for Batting Gloves from Players and got turned down flat.I will have to try a few of these things this Year I am reading about.I sit up close alot when I go to Games so that might not be that hard to talk to the First Baseman.

allstarsplus
01-21-2009, 08:09 AM
I don't feel comfortable asking players I know for freebies but will ask them for people I bring to the game.

I took Sgt. Halliburton to a Nats game in RFK in 2007, and we were talking to Brian Schneider and I asked him for his sweatbands and batting gloves for the Sarge and he gave them to him which was great.

That's not the end of the story, and keep in mind I hadn't asked for anything else although I had purchased Brian's gear back in 2005 so he knew I collected his stuff and he is always great (even now as a NY Met). So Brian leaves the field and returns with an autographed chest protector (road version) that he had worn a few weeks earlier when Bonds hit HR 756!!!

Sometimes you don't ask, and you receive!!!! Class act!

FENWAY
01-21-2009, 06:22 PM
I used to go to a lot of Hartford Whalers games in the 80s. Mike Liut handed me his stick as he left the ice one night. Try to get some pics up soon

grenda12
01-21-2009, 07:46 PM
I don't feel comfortable asking players I know for freebies but will ask them for people I bring to the game.

I took Sgt. Halliburton to a Nats game in RFK in 2007, and we were talking to Brian Schneider and I asked him for his sweatbands and batting gloves for the Sarge and he gave them to him which was great.

That's not the end of the story, and keep in mind I hadn't asked for anything else although I had purchased Brian's gear back in 2005 so he knew I collected his stuff and he is always great (even now as a NY Met). So Brian leaves the field and returns with an autographed chest protector (road version) that he had worn a few weeks earlier when Bonds hit HR 756!!!

Sometimes you don't ask, and you receive!!!! Class act!

That is completely awesome that you were able to get something like that.

Lokee
01-21-2009, 08:11 PM
Lokee, do you mind sharing pix of your Mike Cameron GU jersey? You can also send them by e-mail if you prefer.

thx,
thomaskirk@cinci.rr.com

Iam in the process of moving and all my game stuff is in storage. I plan on making a webpage for all my stuff once I get settled in. Iam excited Iam going from a 900sq foot house to over 2300sq feet. I will have a room dedicated to all my stuff. So in a couple months I hope to have photo documentation of all my item for insurance purposes as well. Thanks for the interest.

Chris78
01-21-2009, 09:31 PM
My success rate when asking was about 25% last season. I tried probably on 12 occasions and 3 players gave me a cracked bat (or bats). Most of the other times someone else got the cracked bat, but the player did give it away. One player gave me all 3 cracked bats that were in the dugout, but I was unsure which one he cracked, although two of the three had team names on them (Nashua Pride and Jackhammers). In total, I got 5 cracked bats last season, but attended many games where I did not ask or no cracked bats occurred. Only 1 bat had a player name on it and that was from the Arizona Fall League when I was there for a week. In the AFL, there was plenty of people from the area that you had to compete with.

Chris

metsbats
01-22-2009, 10:30 PM
Last season after Carlos Beltran struck out after an AB he took his bat and toss it to fans over the Mets dugout.

Here are photos the non-preferred method of getting game used bats at a game.

Not for the faint hearted.

grenda12
01-22-2009, 10:54 PM
Last season after Carlos Beltran struck out after an AB he took his bat and toss it to fans over the Mets dugout.

Here are photos the non-preferred method of getting game used bats at a game.

Not for the faint hearted.

Easy souvenirs, if your paying attention.

Vintagedeputy
01-22-2009, 11:05 PM

+1 !

kylehess10
01-23-2009, 12:11 AM
This past season at a Braves game, Mark Teixeira let go and his bat flung towards me above the dugout. I literally lunged towards the bat instead of flinching :D . I wanted that bat once I saw it was in the air and I jumped up trying to get it in the air, but it landed another section over.

slambam
03-25-2009, 03:43 PM
I'm going to be watching BP from the field behind the batting cage for a game this year. I'm going to try getting something, but don't wanna sounds like a greedy SOB.

godwulf
03-25-2009, 04:08 PM
I'm going to be watching BP from the field behind the batting cage for a game this year. I'm going to try getting something, but don't wanna sounds like a greedy SOB.

Here's a shirt I designed, and will be wearing later this year when I go to Arizona Fall League games.

http://www.zazzle.com/rlv/isapi/designall.dll?action=realview&pdt=shirt&id=8B198845-CD1E-4057-8524-DA4147C37B39&style=basic_tshirt&color=stonegreen&size=a_xl&context=mfong&view=front&max_dim=400&bg=ffffff&drawareaboundingbox=true&drawsafearea=true&square_it=true&draw_relative_size=true&rvtype=product&view_auto=1.4&rev=1238014984927406_front_horz_0

The Latin inscription - very loosely translated - reads: "Give it to the kid" my ass!

godwulf
03-25-2009, 04:27 PM
Here's a shirt I designed, and will be wearing later this year when I go to Arizona Fall League games.

http://www.zazzle.com/rlv/isapi/designall.dll?action=realview&pdt=shirt&id=8B198845-CD1E-4057-8524-DA4147C37B39&style=basic_tshirt&color=stonegreen&size=a_xl&context=mfong&view=front&max_dim=400&bg=ffffff&drawareaboundingbox=true&drawsafearea=true&square_it=true&draw_relative_size=true&rvtype=product&view_auto=1.4&rev=1238014984927406_front_horz_0

The Latin inscription - very loosely translated - reads: "Give it to the kid" my ass!

Huh...the pic disappeared. Well, anyway, it's a soaring hawk with a baseball in its claws, and the words Old Ballhawk, and then "Tribuo est ut parvulus" meus puga pyga!

It's like I told a kid last year - "I'm 55, you're 8. You'll have plenty of time to field those foul balls when I'm dead."

OaklandAsFan
03-25-2009, 05:46 PM

gotta agree with ya on that one. I remember a few years back during the post season in Oakland vs the Yanks Jeter let a bat fly into the stands on a swing and it was heading right into my section. It didn't make it all the way up to me but man it looked like the Red Sea parting with everyone ducking out of the way. I looked at my wife and said "F that, If I see a Jeter bat heading at me you can pretty much guarantee I am standing firm and getting it. Then when I display it in my house I will show them the blood spots and proudly proclaim them to be mine from when I refused to dodge the bat" ;)

Laser110
03-27-2009, 12:05 AM
I am more of a hockey guy when it comes to collecting game used stuff, but I do have a few baseball items in the collection. When I was younger I was at Devils/Penguin's game. I decided to wear my new Mario Lemieux replica jersey to the game. During warm ups I banged on the glass, got Mario's attention and turned around so he could see the back of my jersey. He gave me a smile, thumb's up and tossed me one of the practice pucks.

A similar situation was a Devils/Bruin's game in the 80's. The Bruin's had just finished their practice skate and we were standing by the entrance to the ice. Gord Kluzak came off the ice with a puck in his hand. People were screaming "Mr. Kluzak can I have the puck, #6 toss me the puck" I yelled "Gordy!" he looked over and tossed the puck over.

I found most hockey players are very approachable after the game and have met and talked with many of the Devils. We even played floor hockey with Turner Stevenson's kids. Usually they'll sign something for you if you politely ask.

Scott

cammy collector
03-28-2009, 09:12 PM

thx,
thomaskirk@cinci.rr.com

took the words right outta my mouth, Tommy :p

-Mike