PDA

View Full Version : Mike Napoli bat

civic_freak
09-18-2013, 11:59 AM
I purchased a Mike Napoli bat this past weekend. It was listed as "team issued", but has pine tar all over the handle, and also has red Lizard Skin wrap on the handle. I am assuming it was game used, but could not be proven at the time it was give to the shop. The barrel and handle both are MLB authenticated.

I would love to be able to photo match this, but have really no idea where to start, since it doesn't have any date on it. Does anybody know when he started using red wrap on his handles? I have seen pictures this year of his bats without the wrap. I also saw a game used one with the same wrap that was purchased just before I bought mine.

I know it is from this season, since it was purchased in the Yawkey Way store. Any help with a starting point would be greatly appreciated.

Dach0sen0ne
09-18-2013, 12:58 PM
What's the hologram number? Post some pics and maybe someone can help you match it.

civic_freak
09-18-2013, 01:05 PM
Working on the pictures now. Hologram numbers are EK800794 and EK800793. Considering how fast the bats were selling there, I would imagine that the bat was from sometime within the last week or so. My understanding is, that they only get bats from home games. Like I said, those are just assumptions tho.

emann
09-18-2013, 02:10 PM
Without seeing your bat, I have a guess it might match this one. Post a pic, I'm curious to see it if it does... Napoli broke it in the 1st inning on 9/6 and I'd guess since it cracked in 2 pieces it got pulled aside (not with the intent on being holo'd as "game used" just not going back into a bat bag for the trip home).

A number of Sox are using the red wrap (Gomes & Ortiz for example) but it doesn't seem to be consistent.

Also, the Sox end up with bats from both home and away games, so your assumption is incorrect on that. I think it depends more on when the authenticator takes time to go through them.

civic_freak
09-18-2013, 02:17 PM
I'm waiting for my phone to charge. This is very interesting. I looked back at my pictures from BP on Sunday, and Napoli was using a bat that didn't have the red wrap. Not sure if I mentioned it, but they also had a game used one in the shop with red wrap as well. I did a google image search, and a lot of the ones I found, did not have the wrap, which would lead me to believe that he started using it somewhat recently. I obviously could be wrong. Just not sure where to find this information out. Thank you for your help. I will be posting pictures within 30 mins or so.

Is that the only image you have from that game? Any specific angles I should take pics of?

emann
09-19-2013, 11:19 AM
I'm waiting for my phone to charge. This is very interesting. I looked back at my pictures from BP on Sunday, and Napoli was using a bat that didn't have the red wrap. Not sure if I mentioned it, but they also had a game used one in the shop with red wrap as well. I did a google image search, and a lot of the ones I found, did not have the wrap, which would lead me to believe that he started using it somewhat recently. I obviously could be wrong. Just not sure where to find this information out. Thank you for your help. I will be posting pictures within 30 mins or so.

Is that the only image you have from that game? Any specific angles I should take pics of?

This is a screenshot from MLB.tv and his first at bat in the game, about 2 pitches later he broke the bat at the handle. I can take more and help if you put up pics of the bat. As I said, this was an assumption without seeing the bat...

If you look at your bat, does it have that rather distinctive tar mark that looks like a backwards "7" on it? Just shoot the bat on all sides and the knobs, good enough to match off with Napoli.

civic_freak
09-19-2013, 11:26 AM
[img]http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/819/02nw.jpg/[img]

If this doesn't post, I will just post pics to the links until I can figure it out...

civic_freak
09-19-2013, 11:34 AM
http://imageshack.us/a/img163/4111/oe18.jpg

civic_freak
09-19-2013, 11:35 AM
http://imageshack.us/a/img819/2027/02nw.jpg

civic_freak
09-19-2013, 11:36 AM
http://imageshack.us/a/img9/6136/myzu.jpg

http://imageshack.us/a/img5/4665/otbt.jpg

http://imageshack.us/a/img546/4387/jgs6.jpg

emann
09-19-2013, 11:51 AM
Here's a match to the back from 9/6... The red lines point to the tar shape on the back as well as the ballmarks (with a specific tar spot).

Now, Napoli tends to use bats for awhile and he hit a home run on 9/4. I can take a look later and see if it matches this bat for you...

emann
09-19-2013, 11:52 AM
Pic:

civic_freak
09-19-2013, 11:56 AM
Thank you so much! This is my first game used bat, and you photo matched it for me. How did you have any idea where to start looking to even find a date??

emann
09-19-2013, 12:12 PM
Thank you so much! This is my first game used bat, and you photo matched it for me. How did you have any idea where to start looking to even find a date??

Sure thing! Happy I could help on your first bat...

Actually, your hologram number had the date of the session 9/6. It doesn't seem to happen too often with team issued items, but they obviously hologrammed it at that game in NYC (the Yankees authenticators seem really good about hologramming items at Yankee stadium). It probably just got tossed aside in the dugout after it broke, so they couldn't authenticate it as "game used" and ended up as "team issued" instead. I guessed it was from that game, checked his at bats and noticed he broke a bat with red wrap at the handle in his first one.

Since he broke it so soon and it shows so much use, I'd say there is a decent chance this is the same bat he used 2 days earlier for the HR. But I will look for you later.

civic_freak
09-19-2013, 12:36 PM
That would be great! I also have a question about displaying it. I hear a lot of people saying that they wouldn't glue a broken bat back together. The is obviously in 2 pieces, so how would you suggest displaying it? I can't hang it on a bat rack by the handle, because of will most likely fall apart again (I just have it pushed together).