PDA

View Full Version : Question: Multi HR bat with a bad crack still appealing?

emann
09-19-2013, 11:30 AM
I'm sure this has been asked before, but I picked up a bat that probably has the worst crack of anything in my collection. Displaced and all the way up the handle.

BUT, it shows heavy use and is photomatched to 2 HRs and a slew of hits.

So, for your collections: does photomatching to HRs cancel out the issue of it being cracked? Would you rather have an uncracked bat that isn't matched than a cracked one matched to multiple HRs?

Curious to know how other collectors feel...

Jags Fan Dan
09-19-2013, 11:54 AM
The crack does not take away from the appeal for me. If it was a guy I collect and it is matched to multiple homers, the crack is just the way the bat ended its useful life and would not detract much if any.

sportsnbikes
09-19-2013, 12:01 PM
For me personally I'd rather not have one that is cracked. But, it also depends on who the player is. I think for an out of reach player who is not affordable to many of us, a so called "clean" bat may not be an option.

maverick14
09-19-2013, 12:09 PM
You can always have a crack repaired but you can't add HRs and hits to a bat yourself.
I'd take a HR bat any day of the week no matter the condition.

onlyalbert
09-19-2013, 12:36 PM
You can always have a crack repaired but you can't add HRs and hits to a bat yourself.
I'd take a HR bat any day of the week no matter the condition.

I'm with you on this one. Some wood glue and a couple c-clamps can make a bad bat look presentable. You can't beat a multiple HR/hit photomatched bat.

stasman
09-19-2013, 07:05 PM
I love the cracked bats..I think it gives great character and interest to each bat. I have over 20 game used bats from the 2005 White Sox world series team, and most of them are cracked..they look very cool displayed. Im not sure about the value, but I think they are very unique that way.

dangerzone79
09-19-2013, 07:19 PM
If the bat has a bunch of use I don't mind cracks at all. But when you add homers to it I REALLY don't care about the cracks. Cracks to me also add validity to them. What player did you pick up? I also love the way cracked bats look displayed.