Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • nickacs
    • Apr 2009

NFL throwback uniforms going away soon!

Interesting article for fellow NFL jersey/helmet collectors, wrt throwback memorabilia going forward:

Get NFL news, scores, stats, standings & more for your favorite teams and players -- plus watch highlights and live games! All on FoxSports.com.
  • JDubbs73
    • Dec 2011

Re: NFL throwback uniforms going away soon!

It's disappointing news. I saw this article the other day:

It included a statement that reads, "Once helmets are properly fitted at the beginning of the season, the league does not want them changed." I took that to mean that teams could potentially "properly fit" more than one helmet at the start of the year, but maybe not. From the content in more recent articles it appears that the league does not want players to wear more than one helmet for the season.

I understand and am all for player safety, but it would be nice to see them reach common ground here.

Comment

• PAC
      Banned
      • Jan 2012

Seems like they could just go ahead and fit throwback/alternate helmets before the season starts.

Surely they have backup helmets. What happens if a helmet gets damaged or lost? That player has to sit out the rest of the season?

So, does that mean Trent Richardson has to wear his Browns helmet for the rest of this season???

Comment

• jake33
        • Nov 2005

As a Buccaneers fan and game used Bucs collector, that ticks me off.

I am happy they are not going to wear the new helmets with the old uniforms though and look rdiculous.

Comment

• abstractheory
          • Apr 2010

Yep, I saw that on ESPN this morning. Sad that we (Broncos fans) will never see the old Broncos royal D helmets again.

Comment

• happyyoungster
            • Jan 2008

The Packers still plan on wearing their 1929 ACME Packers throwback uniform. To satisfy newer requirements, the Packers decal and striping will be removed from the helmets.

Comment

• John in KY
              • Dec 2007

Uni-Watch's Paul Lucas interviewed an NFL equipment manager who requested anonymity over in his ESPN column. Per this "equipment guy" (my bet is it's the Giants equipment manager) the issue is more the older players who still use discontinued helmets like a Riddell VSR-4 or one of the old Schutt Air helmets - they can't get an identical helmet model and they don't want these guys having to play with some other helmet model for the throwback games. The quoted equipment manager specifically mentions one of his player who is clinging to a Riddell VSR-4 and they have exactly one replacement left in their storeroom for him, and when it's used then this player is going to have to switch to a modern helmet (unlike like when the Bears equipment manager had to search sporting goods stores for more of the old Wilson helmets for Walter Payton toward the end of his career).

Don't take this to the stupid level where someone who breaks a helmet has to sit out the year (actually they would only replace the shell and keep the player's padding if it was discovered after the game was over) or for a player traded to a different team. Those are necessary replacements helmet replacement. They don't marketing driven "unnecessary" replacements to cover off on 1-2 throwback games - particularly for aging stars who are maintaining their old-style helmets.

If you noticed last weeks Bears/Bills game you will see that the Bills who last year did wear a different white helmet last year (the 2012 throwback was plain molded white while the regular helmet is pearl white) just put the throwback decals on their normal white shell this year.

Comment

• PAC
                Banned
                • Jan 2012

"They don't want unnecessary mark eating driven replacements"

Because the NFL never does anything for marketing...it's all for the love of the game! LOL

Comment

• Anabolicollege17
                  Banned
                  • May 2013

Lol you think they would want them to play with newer helmet models because they are newer and built more for safety via rules and regulations of today... Does this make sense?

Comment

• John in KY
                    • Dec 2007

Originally posted by PAC
                    "They don't want unnecessary mark eating driven replacements"

Because the NFL never does anything for marketing...it's all for the love of the game! LOL
                    True - but I think the concussion lawsuit settlement is trumping the extra marketing dollars. This ruling is kind of them "running scared".

Comment

• John in KY
                      • Dec 2007

Originally posted by Anabolicollege17
                      Lol you think they would want them to play with newer helmet models because they are newer and built more for safety via rules and regulations of today... Does this make sense?
                      I also agree with this - but, the new helmets fit differently and they don't want someone who has played with a standard helmet since their Pop Warner days to have to make a switch for 1-2 games to something that fits differently, sits on their head differently, etc. They want them to be able to wear the same model helmet - even if it isn't as "safe" as a new one they evidently feel that the player is "safer" wearing what they are used to wearing.

I'm sure there is also behind the scenes talk of them outlawing the old Riddell VSR-4s and Schutt Air models (not counting the modern Air XPs). I don't see this as being that much different than when they outlawed suspension helmets and plastic facemasks for players exposed to contact (i.e. not a kicker) back in the 1980s.

Comment

• helmet lover
                        • Aug 2013

Originally posted by jake33
                        As a Buccaneers fan and game used Bucs collector, that ticks me off.

I am happy they are not going to wear the new helmets with the old uniforms though and look rdiculous.
                        This pisses me off as well.The Bucs have my favorite throwbacks,and they can't wear them.It seems to me if they can't match up an identical helmet to what they have,they could paint them.Let me know if you have or know where I can get a 76-96 GU Bucs helmet

Comment

• John in KY
                          • Dec 2007

Originally posted by helmet lover
                          This pisses me off as well.The Bucs have my favorite throwbacks,and they can't wear them.It seems to me if they can't match up an identical helmet to what they have,they could paint them.Let me know if you have or know where I can get a 76-96 GU Bucs helmet
                          Per the articles I've read these current helmet finishes take 4-5 days to harden - and they need the helmets for practices 3 days after the last game (or 2 days if they played on Monday night). The only way it would work is if they played a Thursday night game, then a regular Sunday, and then had their bye week.

I still think this is just massively overreacting to the concussion lawsuit settlement.

Comment

• abstractheory
                            • Apr 2010

Originally posted by John in KY
                            I still think this is just massively overreacting to the concussion lawsuit settlement.
                            Yep, me too.

Comment

• JDubbs73
                              • Dec 2011

Originally posted by John in KY
                              +1

Comment

Working...