PDA

View Full Version : Pujols "rookie" bat in Mastro auction

Birdbats
11-27-2006, 11:07 AM
The Pujols "rookie" bat currently offered in Mastro's auction cannot be a rookie bat because Albert did not order the I13 model during his rookie season. Below is an e-mail I sent to Mastro on 11/13 and to Doug Allen on 11/15 -- I have received no response and the description has not changed. Currently, the bat has 23 bids and is at almost $3,000 with 11 days to go; the attraction of this being a "rookie" bat (with a version of Albert's pre-rookie signature) almost surely is fueling much of that interest. This could be a legit game-used bat -- there's nothing in the two photos that suggests otherwise (though I would like to see more of the bat, including the knob). But, it cannot be a rookie-season bat.

I was looking at the Pujols bat in your upcoming auction, item #2430. It's advertised as a white ash bat used in 2001. This is not possible. I have Albert's shipping records through early 2005, which is what I'm using to offer this information. (That information is shared on my Web site -- here's the direct link: http://webpages.charter.net/birdbats/Birdbats/Player%20Models/pujols.htm

First, the bat appears to be maple in the photos. This would make sense because Albert has no orders for ash I13 models on my records (it's possible he ordered some after 5/24/05 since that's the date of the last order on my records). His ash orders were for C243 and C243C bats and R205 bats.

Assuming it is maple, it does not appear to be cupped on the end. Albert's first order of uncupped I13 bats (maple), 34/32.5, was placed on 3/4/03. The only other orders of I13 uncupped bats are on 3/6/03 (34/32) and 5/6/04 (34/0.0 promos).

If it is cupped and I just can't see it, Albert's first order of I13C bats was placed on 6/13/02 (34/32).

The only models shipped to Albert in 2001 are the R205 (ash/black), R205C (ash/natural and maple/none), C243C (ash/natural and maple/none).

While I recognize that weights can vary from factory records, Albert's first order of 32.5 ounce bats was placed in 2003.

At best, this bat could be from 2002. It's likely from an order placed in March 2003.

I'm not an autograph expert, but I'd question the pre-rookie signature on a bat from 2003. It could be legit -- maybe he signed it that way as a favor to a friend. I trust Jimmy Spence's judgment. But, I've never seen that particular signature on a bat that dated later than 2001.

I'd appreciate your thoughts.

Best regards,

Jeff Scott
www.birdbats.com (http://www.birdbats.com)

Birdbats
12-01-2006, 10:19 PM
Just noticed that Mastro changed the description on the Pujols bat. It's now being called a 2003 bat. Kudos to Mastro for making the correction.