PDA

View Full Version : MLB Wildcard Game

jake33
10-01-2013, 06:01 PM
Just curious on thoughts of the value of game used items from the Wildcard game. Technically since it is a one and done, that means there are less game used items from that game, do you think that they should be worth more than division series or championship series items?

I have said that before when comparing game used item value from the World Series and All Star game. There are roughly 30-45 authenticated all star game balls per season and 130-200 authenticated World Series balls per season.

Also, for the Wildcard game itself. Why not a best 2 out of 3 with this format...

Day 1 #6 Seed hosts #5 seed
Day 2 The very next Day the 5 seed hosts the 6 seed with a day/night double header (the second game only if needed obviously).

Adds only 1 day to the schedule. It is flawed, but in my opinion better than what is going on now.

Also, I would be shocked if 15 years from now the MLB Wildcard is still a 1-gmae playoff.

genius
10-01-2013, 11:06 PM
Tonight, the Wild Card format is letter perfect. GO BUCS!

dnrapp
10-02-2013, 01:16 AM
Just curious on thoughts of the value of game used items from the Wildcard game. Technically since it is a one and done, that means there are less game used items from that game, do you think that they should be worth more than division series or championship series items?

I have said that before when comparing game used item value from the World Series and All Star game. There are roughly 30-45 authenticated all star game balls per season and 130-200 authenticated World Series balls per season.

Also, for the Wildcard game itself. Why not a best 2 out of 3 with this format...

Day 2 The very next Day the 5 seed hosts the 6 seed with a day/night double header (the second game only if needed obviously).

Adds only 1 day to the schedule. It is flawed, but in my opinion better than what is going on now.

Also, I would be shocked if 15 years from now the MLB Wildcard is still a 1-gmae playoff.

TV would not like that. It would add more than 1 day (1 day for each league ). If we use this years schudele as an example.

Cin/Pit gm 1 today(tue)
Cin/Pit gm 2 and possible gm 3 along with TB/Clev gm 1 tomorrow(wed)
TB/Clev gm 2 and possible gm 3(thur)

NLDS gm 1 on Fri? ALDS gm 1 on Sat?

and travel is another problem. Just think if the AL was Sea/TB with the winner playing Oak. Gm 1 in Sea.travel cross country to play a day Gm2 and possible Gm3 in TB, then travel back cross country to play in Oak

coxfan
10-03-2013, 04:07 PM
I won't get into the debate over specific formats, except to make one general point: One real advantage to the increased number of playoff rounds is that it's become virtually impossible to have a dynasty anymore. I'm convinced that a major reason baseball lost its primacy over football by the 1960's is that the NFL had a much better understanding of the value of parity, as well of geographical balance.

The effects of those old biases are reflected even in today's sports culture: Every NFL fan watches the Super Bowl regardless of teams, but many baseball fans of historical "dynasty" teams refuse to watch the World Series if their team's not playing. Too many MLB fans suffer from the "dynasty disease."

These days, there are races for the Division titles, which is now much better than the wild card; and the doubling of wild-card spots keeps more teams in the chase. And finally, there's the race for home-field advantage even when championships are clinched. There's no such thing anymore as a team clinching early, and playing out its string in meaningless games. Suspense lasts right up to the end.

Regarding whether wild-card game items are rarer and worth more than DS or CS items: I understand the concept of economic "demand" as based on two basic factors: 1) How much a buyer is willing to pay (based on his interest level and on his resources, as well as accessibility to a market); 2) How much he has to pay, which is based on the relationship of supply to the resulting competition among sellers. If buyers have stronger interest in CS items and are thus willing to pay more, that fact may trump rarity in setting price.

sportsnbikes
10-03-2013, 04:24 PM

I do not like the one game playoff. Should be a 2 out of 3 for sure.

Chris78
10-03-2013, 05:09 PM

To answer the first question, I would think a WC playoff item would have more value than a regular season item. I would value a DS, CS, or a WS item more desirable than a WC item. Rarity means nothing. As far as the WC loser, I would still place the value the same or higher as a regular season item.

Having a best of 3 in the WC round takes too long to start the next round. The way it is now is fine or go back to the old system.

Chris