Game Used Baseballs??? What is the attraction?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Billy77
    • Mar 2010

Game Used Baseballs??? What is the attraction?

I realy don't understand what people see in collecting random game balls unless they are huge milestones like perfect games or homeruns.

It seems that teams go through a hundred balls a game, so where is the value in that?

For example, $60 for a ball thrown by Strausburg in a regular game?

Even bats, which I collect, realy do not hold up to a legitamate value unless it is rare or a milestone. Players use so many throughout the season how could they keep value?

This is just my thought on the subject, please do not lynch me baseball collectors!!! LOL

What are your opinions???

Thanks,

Billy
  • Jags Fan Dan
    • Apr 2007

Re: Game Used Baseballs??? What is the attraction?

I tend to agree with you. I have 5 different bats of a common player I happen to like, each one different in color, brand, etc., none of which cost more than $40. I see the prices for these mlb authenticated baseballs and it really is surprising. All very much alike if not identical, few if any photo-matchable, their value seeming to hinge entirely on the integrity of the information provided by the hologram affixed to it.
    I'm not bashing the baseball collectors. It's just not my thing.

Comment

• sportsnbikes
      • Sep 2012

I don't see any value unless it is an actual home run ball or a hit.

For example, there was a guy trying to sell a pitch in the dirt on an at bat in which Harper hit his last home run during his rookie year. He had like 1500 bucks on it. FOR WHAT???? That ball is no different than any other ball that is used in that game.

Comment

• jake33
        • Nov 2005

Well, I own probably 14-ish game used baseballs with no major signficance.

Reason being price most of the time, but a few other factors, which i will touch on. But all of these balls are displayed as a complementary piece to a bigger display.

Random game used baseballs that I own an why

May 16, 2001 - Rays vs Royals.... blah game, ball was $12.00 SHIPPED. I have wanted to get an MLB authenticated items to a Rays game every year since the existance of the authentication program. This ball met that need. Also, I display a signed baseball by all my game used helmets of the corresponding coach/player. I have a game used coaches helmet of Tom Foley - 3rd base coach for the team and he coached that game, so it was relevant to him in some way. - $12 to meet 2 needs isn't bad at all

April 2, 2002 - Rays vs. Tigers Openign Day which is a nice bonus (NO OD logo on it though), but this too was a mere $12. Had this ball signed by Rays Bullpen Catcher who was at this game in uniform. Displayed by a game used helmet of the bullpen catcher. Also hit another need for a 2002 authenticated game used item. Again $12 to meet 2 needs is nice.

September 18, 2011 - Got it from Steiner at the National for only $10. From doing research this game was won for Jake McGee's 3rd career win. So, I had Jake sign the ball on the sweetspot and it is displayed by a game used hat of his. I would not have gotten this ball if it was $20, so was mainly based on buying due to the low cost. Nice display item that has a generic authentication.

Now those items were mainly based on the price being low. Again theya re displayed as a complementary piece next to a grander more unique looking item. Any of these 3 items as a centerpiece doesn't really mean that much.

Comment

• coxfan
          • Feb 2009

One of the attractions of the game of baseball is that there are many "milestones" beyond just the obvious ones such as perfect games. For example, I bought a ball from the Braves' win over the Phillies on 4-3-13, partly because I was at the game and it was an RBI single. But it has the additional significance that: It was pitched by Roy Halladay, who has the extremely rare distinction of having pitched only the second postseason no-hitter in MLB history; as well as being the only pitcher to throw both a postseason no-hitter and a perfect game as separate games. (Larsen had only the one). It also became part of the Braves' first division title since 2005; and contributed to their number of wins in 2013, which is tied for 8th place in modern times (since 1900) for the number of wins by any Braves' team. And it was the 10th run and 9th RBI for the Braves for the 2013 year.

So there are many "milestones" or the like that can be associated with any one item. Similarly, I have balls from the Rangers' first-ever postseason home win,(over the Yankees) which took 50 seasons to achieve. You can't beat that for rarity!

I collect authenticated baseballs for the limited space they take up, as well. They can go on the edges of bookshelves.

Comment

• Klattsy
            • Aug 2010

Affordability and ease of display.

Comment

• stasman
              • Dec 2011

Very cool souvenirs...at the White Sox games, they sell game used items from that game...I took my 81 year old father to a game this year and bought one of that games used ball...I then recordered the game on my DVR..The MLB hologram gave me specific pitcher, batter, inning and count information so I was able to capture a still frame from the game with that exact ball. I then gave it to my dad...Great for memories...

Comment

• helf35
                • Jul 2013

Originally posted by stasman
                Very cool souvenirs...at the White Sox games, they sell game used items from that game...I took my 81 year old father to a game this year and bought one of that games used ball...I then recordered the game on my DVR..The MLB hologram gave me specific pitcher, batter, inning and count information so I was able to capture a still frame from the game with that exact ball. I then gave it to my dad...Great for memories...
                Where do they sell the balls at the cell? All I found were random balls from the team shop outside the stadium.

Comment

• stasman
                  • Dec 2011

The store inside the park is called the chicago sports depot. They have a website to where you can order items from specific games

Comment

• ironmanfan
                    • Sep 2005

I think if the games are linked to a historic event and if the ball can be signed, they make a nice collectible

Comment

• marino13
                      • Feb 2010

(First of, let me say "I am an addict" for game used baseballs. How bad you might ask. I have over 500 game used baseballs in my little collection and it is NOT going to decrease anytime soon)

1. I would say, it is affordable in comparison to bats, jerseys and worst of all - helmets.

2. It is fun to collect.

3. It is part of an actual game - not some some hearsay, "hey, I got a foul ball from the game".

4. It is affordable (just want to get the point across).

5. I always LOVE to get incorrect information listed baseball - getting it corrected --- a fun concept in my book.

6. And getting the actual player(s) to sign it - closing a chapter on that item.

PS. I have a couple "pitched" ball from Mariano Rivera, I cant wait to have a chance to see him in person to have them signed.

Comment

• godwulf
                        • Aug 2007

[quote=marino13;3368023. It is part of an actual game - not some some hearsay, "hey, I got a foul ball from the game".[/quote]

Hearsay with a little silver sticker on it is still hearsay.

Just sayin'.
                        Jeff
                        godwulf1@cox.net

Comment

• rj_lucas
                          • Apr 2009

Originally posted by ironmanfan
                          I think if the games are linked to a historic event and if the ball can be signed, they make a nice collectible
                          IMF, tried to PM you but your box is full.

Rick

Comment

• marino13
                            • Feb 2010

Originally posted by godwulf
                            Hearsay with a little silver sticker on it is still hearsay.

Just sayin'.
                            I dont know if I would agree.

But without that little sticker, the item would lose some nice chump change.

Comment

• Jags Fan Dan
                              • Apr 2007

Originally posted by marino13
                              I dont know if I would agree.

But without that little sticker, the item would lose some nice chump change.
                              I do agree. If the authentication info is in error, the $150 base hit ball is now a $10-20 game used ball. And in almost all cases, that little silver sticker is the ONLY basis for the value of the piece for historical significance. Again, I am only talking about higher end, higher priced baseball's. To me, they are similar to the game used jersey cards. Sure, that little white swatch of clean white jersey is from an Elway gamer, Upper Deck says so right on the back of the card.

Comment

Working...