PDA

View Full Version : NFL Players Have To Buy Own Jerseys Name Change

Phil316
10-04-2013, 07:01 AM
Interesting. I never knew that if an NFL player changes their name they have to purchase all remaining jerseys from Nike with their old name.

Before 49ers safety Donte Whitner can officially sport a "Hitner" jersey on the field, he's REQUIRED to get Nike's blessing ... and it could cost the player a ton of money. By now you know, Whitner's vowed to legally change to his name to Hitner after the NFL fined him $21k for an illegal hit on a Buffalo Bills player earlier this season. But it's not gonna happen for AT LEAST another month, because the NFL requires players to legally change their name before they can change their jersey. And in Donte's home state of Ohio ... an applicant has to publish a notice of the name change in a widely circulated publication at least 30 days before a judge will even consider signing off on the move.Court officials in Ohio tell us the process usually takes AT LEAST six weeks from start to finish. Then, there's the Nike factor -- an NFL rep tells TMZ before the league will allow a player to change the name on his jersey, he has to purchase any remaining Nike inventory featuring his old name. But whatever the cost, Donte can probably afford it -- he's reportedly raking in $3.8 million this season. So, if all goes according to plan, you could see a Hitner jersey on Nov. 17 ... when the 49ers play the Saints.

DJaeger22
10-04-2013, 07:06 AM
I vaguely remember Chad "Ochocinco" Johnson having to do something similar with his name change years ago. I could see where the jersey suppliers would be upset at having to re-do all of the retail jerseys for a player but it seems a bit ridiculous to have to get Nike's okay to do this.

What if a player was to get married and on the off chance want to take his wife's last name, would the same Nike rules still apply?

Phil316
10-04-2013, 07:15 AM
http://m.espn.go.com/nfl/story?storyId=9759786&src=desktop

dnrapp
10-04-2013, 08:06 AM
Interesting. I never knew that if an NFL player changes their name they have to purchase all remaining jerseys from Nike with their old name. .

Like the other poster said Chad Ochocinco Johnson had the same thing. I also seem to remember that players have to buy the remaining jerseys if they want to change their uniform number during the season.

Jags Fan Dan
10-04-2013, 09:52 AM
I, too, remember Ochocinco going through the process. How is Ochocinco doing these days? I know in his hey day he was like 7/11, always open. I bet nowadays he's still a lot like 7/11: less than $200 on hand and next to a dumpster.

DJaeger22
10-04-2013, 11:44 AM
I, too, remember Ochocinco going through the process. How is Ochocinco doing these days? I know in his hey day he was like 7/11, always open. I bet nowadays he's still a lot like 7/11: less than $200 on hand and next to a dumpster.

Based on what his Twitter feed he seems to be doing fine. I think he just got a gig with a network doing NFL analysis stuff. If you have a Twitter he's definitely worth a follow.

GoTigers
10-04-2013, 12:43 PM
What? This makes no sense. Why should he have to purchase all retail inventory? Nike has a month to reduce inventory. Does the same rule apply to a trade? Does the players old team have to purchase all the retail inventory once they decide to move someone? Does Nike give him a cut of all unsold product bearing his name? It's the same concept..

This is crazy..

GoTigers
10-04-2013, 02:54 PM
I can't get this out of my head.. Couldn't Nike donate whatever they couldn't sell and write off retail value vs. having to sell these at cost (im assuming) to the athlete? Does he also have to buy every unsold copy of Madden that has his old name?

chakes89
10-05-2013, 05:52 PM
Realistically, how many Donte Whitner jerseys do you think they have even made up?

He is hardly a household name