PDA

View Full Version : Joe Montana game used???

razor1
11-28-2006, 01:43 PM
Hi... I am a new member to this site and am wondering if anyone could help me out with the Joe Montana game used jersey? Grey Flannel has in it's current auction. I am new to this so I do not know how to post a link but am hoping the members here can help me out as well as let me know their thoughts and opinions on this Montana gamer? I am a fan and would love to own this shirt but like all of us out there, we want to make sure it is the real thing. Thanking you all in advance for your time and help.

allstarsplus
11-28-2006, 04:32 PM
Are you referring to this jersey?
Circa 1990 Joe Montana San Francisco 49ers Game-Used Red Mesh Jersey
Lot # 106

An eight-time Pro Bowl candidate and top ten all-time in pass attempts, completions, passing yards and passing TDs, Joe Montana set the standard of excellence for all contemporary quarterbacks. However, it is his two regular season MVP awards, three Super Bowl MVP awards, and four Super Bowl Championships that propel him into the upper echelon of elite professional athletes. On the left front tail of this home red mesh jersey is the "Wilson" manufacturer's tag with jersey size "44" flag tag. On the front, back and on both sleeves, in white tackle twill, is the number "16." On the back in a red mesh nameplate is the name "MONTANA" also in white tackle twill. This jersey shows game use and appears to have no alterations of any kind.

http://www.greyflannelauctions.com/lotimages/7536_BA.jpghttp://www.greyflannelauctions.com/lotimages/7536_FA.jpg

razor1
11-28-2006, 09:00 PM
yes... this would be the one. Any members out there who could share their thoughts and or opinions I would really appreciate it. And thank you for posting the link.

razor1
11-30-2006, 12:21 PM
Still waiting and hoping for members help on this one. Please, any thoughts/ opinions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

lon lewis
12-02-2006, 04:11 PM
razor1 since no one else will take a shot at this I will. the only year this jersey could have come from is 1990 Joe didn't play in '91 due to injury and in '92 the nfl shield was on the neck and the wilson "w" was on the sleeve. that being said, and without seeing the jersey in person I'll leave you with this thought. all of the Montana jerseys that I saw in use in 1990 were a size 46. It should be noted that I didn't work the whole season in 1990 only the first half so I didn't see every single jersey worn by Montana that year.

razor1
12-03-2006, 01:34 PM
Thanks for your reply. I just have to add this, I spoke with Bronco Hineck a few years back and he stated to me when I mentioned back then yet another Grey Flannel Montana size 46 for sale he said Montana NEVER wore a size 46 his whole time in S.F. He went on to tell me that Joe only wore a 42 and a 44 and even went back to a 42 when he went to Kansas. This is all confusing in who and what to believe so any additional info would be greatly appreciated. Lelands currently also has a '90 Montana size 46 for sale so now we have 2 jerseys from 1990 for sale with 2 different sizes. Any help is most appreciated concerning these jerseys. Thanks again,

Joe

lon lewis
12-03-2006, 04:51 PM
razor1 far be it from I me to argue w/ bronco. all that I can do is point out that I used to unpack Montana's (along w/the rest of the offense) equipment bags every home game from 1985 thru the 1st half of 1990 at candlestick and during the russell period all of the jerseys that I saw were tagged 44. With the switch to Wilson 1n 1990 the jerseys that I saw were tagged 46. why bronco would say he only wore 42 and 44 I don't know but if that's his explanation by all means go with it.

razor1
12-05-2006, 09:00 AM
maybe you can help me with this, the Lelands Montana is a size 46 with a tag with the letters ct underneath. Can you tell me what this means? Thanks again for your help in this matter. Much appreciated.

lon lewis
12-05-2006, 03:19 PM
razor1 the tag you are refering to is a "date code" the "c" part refers to the year in this case 1990 the "t" refers to the month in this case june therefore you can assume that this jersey was made in june of 1990. I say assume because sometimes there is a "carryover" on tagging. for a complete breakdown of the wilson football "datecoding" you could refer to the thread on this forum in oct of this year. for wilson baseball jerseys the year codes work but the months are changed.

razor1
12-05-2006, 09:06 PM
Ion.... wow! thanks for your help and info. It's people like you and alot of others here that make sites like this invaluable. If you have any other thoughts or opinions on either of the 2 Montana jerseys ( size 44 and 46) I would be more than happy to hear them or any other info you'd like to share would be much appreciated. Thanks again!!!

razor1
12-05-2006, 09:07 PM
Ion.... wow! thanks for your help and info. It's people like you and alot of others here that make sites like this invaluable. If you have any other thoughts or opinions on either of the 2 Montana jerseys ( size 44 and 46) I would be more than happy to hear them or any other info you'd like to share would be much appreciated. Thanks again!!!

oops....meant to type Lon

lon lewis
12-06-2006, 02:15 PM
razor1 without actually seeing the jerseys in person I can't really offer a definitive opinion on either one. If I were to try to pick up a Montana gamer I'd look for one that was originally sold by the 49ers during the 1989 & 1990 seasons that had the original 49ers paperwork. Since Montana was using pretty much 1 jersey per game during that period, there should be a pretty good supply around. If you're looking for a rarity, try for one of the russell jerseys that were used at the end of the '89 season that featured sewn on #'s and letters instead of the usual screened on variety.

lund6771
12-06-2006, 07:34 PM
that's what I've been looking for, one with a letter from the team, but haven't seen one in YEARS!!!!...last time I saw one was in Leland's auction in 1991 and it sold for over 15K!!!

anyone have one of these for sale?!!!

lon lewis
12-06-2006, 09:38 PM
lund6771 those montana jerseys you refer to show up from time to time. the good news is that prices have dropped considerably since 1991.

lund6771
12-07-2006, 12:50 AM
i still havn't seen one though...wher have you seen one...is there one available?

lund6771
12-07-2006, 06:04 PM
Lon...do you know if one of the jerseys with the letter from Bronco is available anywhere for sale?

Thanks

lon lewis
12-07-2006, 07:06 PM
razor1 I decided to revisit the two montana's up for auction after reviewing the 1990 season video tapes. I found that for the home wilson jerseys there was a RED "w" located on the left sleeve on the center white stripe On the road jerseys there was a WHITE "w" located on the center stripe. These sleeve wilson logos are not easy to detect on photo graphs since they tend to blend into the jersey due to the color.There doesn't appear to be a "w" on the grey flannel jersey, so I'd have to question that jersey. The Lelands jersey has the "w" on the left sleeve as it should be. However, the sleeve numbers appear to be smaller than the norm, so I'd question that jersey. The grey flannel jersey has the correct size sleeve #'s. Interesting contradiction.

for lund 6771 I know of no montana jerseys w/ the 49ers letter for sale at this time.

razor1
12-08-2006, 09:28 AM
Lon... thanks again for all your time and effort. I've decided to pass on both as both seem to have to many questions. I'd love to own one of his Russel jerseys and will put my time and efforts into obtaining one of those. I just want to say thanks again for all your input. Happy Holidays to you, yours and everyone on this site.

lon lewis
12-08-2006, 06:52 PM
razor1 glad to have been of assistance. it is refreshing to me to that some people still can "walk away" from questionable items rather than "hope that they're good" after spending their money. one of the most simple ways to clean up the mess that collecting has become is to do exactly what you did.

lund6771
12-11-2006, 12:17 PM
Lon...by any chance do you have a PM?...I would like to talk to you about a Montana that I am considering purchasing...I could sure apprecaite the help because it is a lot of $...thanks so much!!!

lon lewis
12-11-2006, 04:41 PM
lund6771

i can be reached at shadowsdad@worldnet.att.net

lon

rinkrelics
12-12-2006, 11:46 PM
lunds, I have a great montana with a team letter that I am considering selling. Has signed bronco letter and good wear...email me if interested frank rinkrelics@aol.com

8049ers
02-21-2007, 04:14 PM
Hello everyone,

Just a follow up on the 1990 Joe Montana jersey that we offered in our December 2006 Lelands auction - the jersey is 110% photo-matched and has been re-consigned with us for our upcoming May 2007 auction. It is one of the nicest Montana jerseys we've had the opportunity to offer to the hobby.

If you are interested in consigning with us for our May 2007 auction, the deadline is March 15th to get your items in. Please let me know if you have any questions.

Happy Collecting!

Casey Samuelson
Hockey Consultant - Lelands.com
E-mail: CaseySamuelson@lelands.com

hblakewolf
02-21-2007, 04:23 PM
Casey-
Just curious-how is a jersey "110%" photomatched? Is this in some way superior to a jersey that is 100% photomatched?

Thanks.
Howard Wolf
hblakewolf@patmedia.net

otismalibu
02-21-2007, 04:27 PM
Just curious-how is a jersey "110%" photomatched? Is this in some way superior to a jersey that is 100% photomatched?

Howard,

It's an auction house. There's always going to be an extra percentage on top of the 100%. :)

8049ers
02-21-2007, 05:11 PM
I guess it's better than a 90% probability rating with 10% leaving it to be photo-matched as I've seen on another LOA in the hockey hobby. :)

110% = no room for interpretation. It's a great photo and a great jersey.

Happy Collecting!

Casey Samuelson
Hockey Consultant - Lelands.com
E-mail: CaseySamuelson@lelands.com

niners
06-11-2007, 10:53 PM
I purchased a game used Montana jersy used in the home Atlanta Falcon game in 1990. I purchased it directly from Bronco Hinek. It was a size 46. I no longer own the jersey....sold it years back.

CollectGU
06-12-2007, 09:44 AM
I purchased a game used Montana jersy used in the home Atlanta Falcon game in 1990. I purchased it directly from Bronco Hinek. It was a size 46. I no longer own the jersey....sold it years back.

In another thread on this forum Bronco Hinek told a forum member, Patrick Scoggin, that he never sold any of his items privately. Please clarify - Did you buy it directly from Mr. Hinek, or did it just have a 49er's letter signed by Mr. Hinek? Below is the post from the other thread:

Thanks,
Dave

As a follow-up to this thread, on March 27th, I received an unsolicited e-mail from the Hinek's (who happened upon this thread via a Google search). In part, the e-mail stated the following:
"I read about [the] "Hinek collection"... We have never sold any memorabilia to anyone. I would be interested in talking to you about this Elway jersey situation. Please email me your number"In a follow-up phone conversation with the Hineks on 4/2, it was clarified that Bronco does indeed have memorabilia in his possession that was acquired during his tenure as the 49ers equipment manager (1984-'97) as well as older items that were acquired by Broncos' father, Frank, who was the Raiders' equip. mngr. (1960-'62).

It was stated that none of these personal items are available for sale and none ever have been made available for sale to the collecting public--to Bernie Gernay, Lou Lampson, or anyone else--specifically any quantity of John Elway jerseys.

It was also clarified that Broncos' name will indeed appear on any number of legitimate 49ers' LOAs, but only in his official capacity for items that originated from the team.

lund6771
06-12-2007, 12:48 PM
Dave...

in the early 90's I bought a bunch of stuff from Bronco...awesome guy!!!

all of the items that I bought were from the 49'ers and checks were made payable to them...Bronco was selling them on their behalf...I remember him telling me that he traded sometimes with other equipment managers but those itmes were for himself

That Montana worn against the Falcons sounds like an awesome jersey!!!...I also once had one worn against the Broncos...

I still have a Rice that I got from Bronco...I was in the Bay area at the time, and asked him if he had a Rice for sale...he invited me over to their practice complex and gave me a tour of the entire facility...he then pulled a Rice off the shelve that has incredible use...14 REPAIRS!!!!...when walking out the front door we ran into Montana who was carrying some trophy's to his Mercedes...I don't really get star-struck, but being in college then, my knees started shaking a little...Joe was injured at this time, from the Giants game, and was out most of that year I think...anyways we helped carry some trophys out to his car and he was his nick name...very "cool"...

over the past few years I've been trying to get another Montana that came through Bronco but haven't had that much luck...

It's very sad to see all of the fake Montana's that are being sold all of the time...it seems that every time you open up a auction catalogue, there's another 90's Wilson in there...and again, for the short time that Joe used a 90's Wilson, most were handled through Bronco, so why don't all of the one's in these auctions have his letter?

As a side note,I bought the photo matched Montana in Lelands last auction...I haven't gotten it yet, but will post when I get it...I was a little concerned that it didn't have a Bronco letter, knowing that Joe wore a new jersey pretty much every game and they were being handled by Bronco...but supposedly this jersey came from another athlete, and it is possible that Joe gave a jersey to someone, which would be out of Bronco's hands...I also have a video from the photo matched game so we'll see what happens...I do know for a fact that other players on the team were getting Rice's, Ricky Watters, among others, and either selling or trading them...

Have a great day!!!!

CollectGU
06-12-2007, 05:36 PM
Lund,

Thanks for the good info. Where have all the Montana's with 49er paperwork gone? I haven't seen one in at least 4 years...

Regards,
Dave

lund6771
06-12-2007, 08:48 PM
Dave...

My guess is that, like any other awesome piece, they've dissapeared into collections...and if someone can afford one with niners paerwork, they won't be selling any time soon...I've thought about how many could be out there with team letters...if memory serves me correctly, the team started selling them in 1988...so i would guess that there are no more than 30 or so that are out there wkith niner's letters... my guess is that their kids might sell it someday because they don't care about the jersey...

Pete

8049ers
06-14-2007, 01:08 PM
Lund,

Would you mind sending me an e-mail. I have a few questions that I would like to ask you.

Thank you for your time.

Take care,

niners
06-14-2007, 07:28 PM
Dave,

As Pete said, Bronco was a great guy. He did sell on behalf of the team. It was my understanding the money received was used to purchase team equipment. When the 49ers were in town, he took the time to have Montana personally sign my jersey....I had a photo matched one with letter as well from the 1988 road Giants game...an awesome jersey....I bought a couple from him. It's been awhile since I sold. I do regret selling but had to at the time...Good luck