PDA

View Full Version : Basement storage question

TomTimmerman
10-08-2013, 09:17 AM
Hello all,
Due to circumstances beyond my control, I'll be moving my jerseys (all knit) and bats to the basement garage (probably for about a year). I have two dehumidifiers running down there, but there's still some humidity and moisture. These aren't high end jerseys, so I can't invest in the very best archival methods. I'm thinking I have two options:

1. For the jerseys, get a clothing rack and let them hang freely. Advantage: room to "breathe". Disadvantage: Exposed to all of the other elements in the garage (like that time we had a bird in there for a few days and he "decorated" lots of things down there). I suppose I could cover them with plastic dry cleaner bags.

2. Fold the jerseys and store them in those ubiquitous RubberMaid type bins. Advantage: Protected from the garage elements. Disadvantage: Creases and I'm not sure if mold/mildew will set in.

I'm mostly worried about the mold. Has anyone learned the hard way about jerseys, bats, and mold?

Thanks for any advice.
Tom

marino13
10-08-2013, 10:39 AM
I would zip lock my jersey/gloves first --- make sure it is air tight and then in plastic bin.

Cool basement is ideal.

slam
10-08-2013, 12:45 PM
I would zip lock and put silica gel packs in there.

cjw
10-08-2013, 06:43 PM
I would also ziplock or place in vacuum sealable bags. Wrinkle can be steamed out later, but mold will ruin.