PDA

View Full Version : Looking for Guidance from the Experts - 1990 Canseco Jersey

paul457
10-13-2013, 05:37 PM
So... here is the jersey in question: http://www.ebay.com/itm/161121537117?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1438.l2649

Have been doing some digging, and from limited reading, I have come to the conclusion that this IS NOT a Canseco game used jersey, rather it seems to be a Scoreboard retail jersey. Am I close?

What is the public's opinion on the value of such a jersey?

I collect both issued and used jerseys, so while I would prefer to get a true Canseco gamer, I doubt I'd be willing to pay what a GU jersey would normally fetch. If the Scoreboard jerseys are basically of the same cut, size, style as a gamer / issued jersey, I would be happy with one.

Any insight would be greatly appreciated. :)

paul457
10-13-2013, 05:39 PM
Here's a GUU thread showing a jersey which is almost identical to the jersey in the auction I listed, however this one has a COA and is autographed:

http://www.gameuseduniverse.com/vb_forum/showthread.php?t=12077&highlight=canseco

sox83cubs84
10-13-2013, 06:30 PM
No doubt it's a Score Board jersey. The Score Board LOA is for the jersey as it should be described, and Lampson has an abysmal track record of authenticating Score Board jerseys as gamers. The only things worth noticing are that the autograph has apparently been laundered out, and it looks like someone has tried to simulate use with some added staining. I'm not saying that the seller is the one responsible, but just that, somewhere before this, those cosmetic changes were made.

Dave Miedema

paul457
10-13-2013, 07:05 PM
No doubt it's a Score Board jersey. The Score Board LOA is for the jersey as it should be described, and Lampson has an abysmal track record of authenticating Score Board jerseys as gamers. The only things worth noticing are that the autograph has apparently been laundered out, and it looks like someone has tried to simulate use with some added staining. I'm not saying that the seller is the one responsible, but just that, somewhere before this, those cosmetic changes were made.

Dave Miedema

Thanks for the insight Dave. Two questions (for you or anyone else who wants to add to the discussion):

1) what would you ballpark the value at for this jersey (pun intended)?

2) I've read that these Scoreboard jerseys were built to the player's specifications - so cut / size / etc were basically identical to what the player wore on the field. Do you recall this being the case?

I may make an offer on this piece, but if the auto was bleached / washed out, I worry about the integrity of the jersey and how it will keep long term. I would also bet that the seller is going to put up a fight...

trsent
10-14-2013, 04:32 AM
Thanks for the insight Dave. Two questions (for you or anyone else who wants to add to the discussion):

1) what would you ballpark the value at for this jersey (pun intended)?

2) I've read that these Scoreboard jerseys were built to the player's specifications - so cut / size / etc were basically identical to what the player wore on the field. Do you recall this being the case?

I may make an offer on this piece, but if the auto was bleached / washed out, I worry about the integrity of the jersey and how it will keep long term. I would also bet that the seller is going to put up a fight...

1. The jersey with the autograph faded or washed out's value? $50 - $150

2. Often the jerseys were made to the same specifications that a player wore. The jerseys were made by Rawlings (?) and were legitimate looking jerseys but they made several of each which is why now years later they are being often sold as game used. When they originally sold, no one realized this would happen.

Not sure why you would make an offer on this piece as the seller is dreaming with their price for a pro-cut jersey.

paul457
10-14-2013, 09:34 PM
Thanks for the reply - I was thinking I would offer $200 max, but I might cut that down given the fact that the auto has been washed out, and the COA is missing. $100 might be my max... but I'm sure once I approach the seller all hell will break loose.

I may just hold out and stay on the lookout for a complete / mint copy instead.

KGoldin
10-14-2013, 10:00 PM
There are a few hundred out there
I would wait for a better one, from a seller who isn't trying to pass it as a gem used jersey

Phil316
10-14-2013, 10:10 PM
If they are asking 1200 chances are your 100 or 200 offer would get laughed at. I agree with Ken, wait till a perfect one shows up. I have seen several and even sold one myself a few years back at a show. Mine was perfect and I think I got 350 for it. Goodluck.

jmeekins33
10-15-2013, 01:57 AM
The market for Canseco items is highly volatile. I've seen stretches where his stuff is worth next to nothing and then I've seen things go for big money on Ebay. He still has a lot of dedicated fans out there that will occasionally drive prices up.

I own an autographed Scoreboard 1990 jersey like the one in the auction. It's really sharp and of great quality. In my opinion $350 is a fair price for a signed one like this in like new condition. I would avoid the Ebay jersey unless the seller comes back to earth and will sell it for $100-$200. I'd be concerned that there would be residue from the auto or damage from the phony "wear".

Furthermore, Because of all the Scoreboard jersey's floating around out there I wouldn't buy any 1990 home jersey advertised as game worn unless it comes with a team LOA. The sad thing is that somewhere out there the real 1990 set 2 home game worn jersey probably exists. Only God knows which one is the real one. lol.