PDA

View Full Version : Fake Jerseys At Card Companies

Eric
10-17-2013, 09:33 PM
Interesting piece by Rich Mueller. Look at the dollar amounts involved here...

http://www.sportscollectorsdaily.com/court-papers-fake-jerseys-ran-rampant-at-card-companies/

Court Papers: Fake Jerseys Ran Rampant at Card Companies
October 16, 2013 By Rich Mueller

Two of the defendants who have pleaded guilty to fraud charges for selling bogus game-used jerseys are expected to be sentenced Wednesday while more information about the cases has been released in federal court. Documents indicate that sports trading card companies created large quantities of what were believed to be game-worn memorabilia cards that were instead made from swatches of game issued or even retail jerseys they purchased from the dealers.

The sentencing memoranda filed by attorneys for Brad Wells, Jarrod Oldridge, Steve Jensen, Brad Horne and Bernie Gernay in recent days are aimed at convincing judges to deliver lighter sentences as another chapter in the case nears closure. Wells and Jensen were expected to be sentenced today.

In papers filed in U.S. District Court last week and obtained by Sports Collectors Daily, attorney Michael Iasparro asked a judge to sentence Oldridge to probation instead of the 16-month sentence recommended by federal prosecutors. They say Oldridge, the owner of J.O. Sports, has spent nearly five years assisting them in identifying others involved in the fake jersey scheme that resulted in card companies buying large quantities of bogus jerseys that were cut up and inserted onto trading cards for several years in the decade prior to this one.

In his memorandum, Iasparro stated Oldridge, through other 'suppliers', began filling requests from card companies including Upper Deck and Donruss for various star player jerseys. The jerseys were purchased by the card makers to create insert cards that presumably contained a swatch of game-used memorabilia. In fact, many of the cards were created with jerseys that never saw a playing field of any kind. Oldridge was able to supply the jerseys in no more than a month, and has told investigators that executives at Donruss and Upper Deck asked only for one blanket certificate of authenticity and never questioned his ability to supply multiple 'game worn' jerseys of standout players in less than a 30-day time frame.

After he was first approached by the FBI, Iasparro writes that Oldridge opted to 'come clean' in 2008 and began assisting investigators who were working to round up the suspects who provided fake memorabilia, at times agreeing to recorded phone conversations with those who were on investigators' radar.

Donruss was purchased by Panini America in 2009 and Panini is claiming $7.7 million in revenue lost in the Oldridge case. Oldridge's attorney says that figure represents what the jerseys would have been worth had they actually been game used and isn't relevant.

Upper Deck didn't submit a victim impact statement to the court.

On Tuesday, Rocco Cipparone Jr., the attorney for Wells, indicated in his memorandum that his client sold “hundreds of thousands of dollars worth” of merchandise to Donruss while running Authentic Sports Inc., a Florida-based sports memorabilia company several years ago. An additional $114,745 was quarantined by the FBI during its investigation while $125,908, it appears, was inherited by Panini America after it purchased Donruss. Many of the jerseys distributed prior to the company’s sale were cut up and used to create memorabilia cards for Donruss products that were sold to consumers.

Panini is claiming a $3.37 million loss in the Wells case, a figure his attorney is also disputing. Additionally, Cipparone told the court that Donruss made “millions of dollars” in profits on the non-genuine jerseys that were turned into cards. He also says the card maker should have known there was a chance they were fake based on the prices its buyers paid for the jerseys and thus, shouldn’t be entitled to any restitution.

Court documents filed earlier in the case indicated Wells’ company had also sold a smaller number of fake jerseys to Upper Deck and Topps but that information wasn’t provided in the memorandum. Several of those documents remain under seal.

The revelation is the first time any documentation on the monetary value of fake jerseys sold to card companies has been offered in any of the cases. However, prosecutors charged that Wells and others involved in the federal indictment obtained "hundreds” of retail or game issued jerseys from a variety of sources including eBay, then fraudulently made them look game used so they could be sold as such to card companies and other dealers.

FBI agent Brian Brusokas came to the 2009 National Sports Collectors Convention in Cleveland to interview Wells about the case and when confronted with evidence, prosecutors say Wells admitted to wrongdoing and then offered valuable information to investigators about others who were later charged for similar offenses.

It’s that cooperation, together with several letters from Wells’ family and friends, which Cipparone has filed in an effort to convince the court to go along with the government’s recommendation that Wells be sentenced to 27-33 months in prison instead of typical guidelines in fraud cases. The attorney even cited Wells’ status as “one of the nation’s youngest Eagle Scouts” at age 13.

“The lasting stigma and collateral consequences of this federal felony conviction, along with a sentence of probation, will provide sufficient general and specific deterrence,” Cipparone wrote in his memorandum filed Tuesday. “Although the nature and circumstances of the offense are of course serious, the conduct by Bradley Wells was aberrational and inconsistent with his well-established solid good character, the latter of which warrants significant sentence mitigation. “

Horne, who pleaded guilty to mail fraud in November of 2011, sold $164,000 worth of counterfeit memorabilia to Donruss/Panini but the “majority” of the jerseys sold were authentic, according to papers filed by his attorney, New York-based Jeffrey Lichtman. Panini also has $39,731 worth of merchandise it is unable to use as part of the case. The card maker claims it lost $1.3 million as a result of its dealings with Horne.

Horne, too, is hoping remorse, claims of a traumatic childhood, letters of support from friends and cooperation in the other jersey fraud cases prosecuted by the feds will work in his favor when sentencing is handed down.

“Mr. Horne was instrumental in causing Bradley Wells, a defendant in a related case, to resume course and start cooperating with the government again after Mr. Horne turned over a counterfeit Peyton Manning jersey provided by Wells with instructions to Mr. Horne to pass it off as legitimate,” Lichtman claims in his memorandum.

Jensen, who was famously taken off the show floor in handcuffs by U.S. Postal Inspectors at the 2011 National in Chicago, has also provided information to authorities and prosecutors have recommended a sentence of 4-10 months in prison. He pleaded guilty to mail fraud last February.

Gernay, who lives in New Jersey and now runs a tree service, was assigned a federal defender to represent him in court. In papers filed last week, attorney Paul Gaziano asked the court to sentence his client to probation. Prosecutors have sought an 18-month sentence for his part in the scheme. Gaziano stated in his sentencing memorandum that Gernay was involved from 2006-2008 and cooperated with investigators.

Horne, Oldridge and Gernay are expected to be sentenced later this month.

metsbats
10-17-2013, 09:37 PM
Somehow I can't sympathize with the card companies who brought fake jerseys to cut up to put on cards.

jbean023
10-17-2013, 10:58 PM
I'm glad the card companies bought fakes and put them into cards that means more real ones for collectors. I hope there is another wave of these crooks that just sell to card companies strictly.

jbean023
10-17-2013, 11:00 PM
No offense intended towards card collectors but just collect cards, leave the history pieces in the original state and stop cutting them up.

jmeekins33
10-18-2013, 12:14 AM
I only hope these kind of scandals one day will cause card companies to stop the idiotic practice of selling these patch cards. I'm a card collector but I'm totally against this "game used" patch craze. On-card autographs are great but the patch thing makes me angry whether they're real or not.

Anabolicollege17
10-18-2013, 12:19 AM
I've had card companies contact me directly to buy issued peices to put into cards. So they are full of themselves. They know what they are buying. Yeah some of them do get duped thinking that jerseys are game used. But just look at some of the relic cards lol. You see fake jerseys chopped up in them. They want whatever is cheap. Over the summer a card company bought every single issued jersey that NFL auctions posted. They out bid anyone at any cost so they can chop them up and put them as a used relic insert. Cards are a joke, and I never trusted them for a second.

I'm one of the persons who think the NFL should stop producing issued jerseys. The NBA doesn't do it anymore. Issued jerseys do nothing for the hobby, but give fraudulent characters the chance at scamming innocent people. And by innocent people, I am not talking about the card companies.

jmeekins33
10-18-2013, 01:11 AM
I believe that the card companies know full well the jersey swatches they're selling aren't real. They are only willing to pay a small fraction of a superstar player jersey's market value. Do they think that people are selling them that cheap as a favor? Nonsense.

allstarsplus
10-18-2013, 04:44 PM
I believe that the card companies know full well the jersey swatches they're selling aren't real. They are only willing to pay a small fraction of a superstar player jersey's market value. Do they think that people are selling them that cheap as a favor? Nonsense.

You are saying this in present tense and that is a strong accusation unless you meant to say "knew" which is still a fairly strong accusation since those card companies mentioned above don't seem to be mentioned as co-defendants.

I'm fairly certain the card companies had their own level of due diligence to use the jerseys in that pre-2011 timeframe and I think the card companies changed after that to a strict policy of buying only sourced from the team items and with that comes the high price tag of paying retail prices since they are doing top players.

Not sure what the policy is on vintage items as to photomatching or type of authentication so I'm just talking about current players.

Eric
10-18-2013, 07:58 PM
Panini has never responded to my requests for information about if they ever bought from Brad Wells. I know the card companies want their money back, but what about the consumers?

I wonder how close this theory from 2011 was...
http://www.gameuseduniverse.com/vb_forum/showpost.php?p=275960&postcount=37

Re: Card companies, the FBI & Fraud
Trying to figure out which card companies may have purchased bad jerseys to include in their cards. None of the companies have admitted to anything.

I have several questions in to Panini and will post the answers as soon as I hear back.

The ASI website is long gone, but you can still look at it in an archived form. Some interesting things.

Background:
ASI- Authentic Sports Inc. was a company owned by Brad Wells. In the indictment, Wells is charged with a scheme to fake game used jerseys and sell to the card companies and consign to auction houses and sell to buyers. Here is the description.

3. The object of the scheme to defraud was to sell, consign, or auction jerseys by falsely and fraudulently representing to the buyers that the jerseys were game used, when in fact, as the defendant well knew, the jerseys were not game used.
4. As part of the scheme to defraud, the defendant and others obtained and caused to be obtained hundreds of jerseys from a variety of sources, including retail sellers.
5. It was also a part of the scheme to defraud that the defendant and others
frequently changed, or caused changes to the jerseys’ appearance by roughening, scuffing, washing, dirtying, or otherwise changing the appearance of the jerseys to make them appear that they had actual “wear and tear.”
6. It was also a part of the scheme to defraud that the defendant and others re-sold, consigned, and auctioned the same jerseys for hundreds of thousands of dollars to sports trading card companies and other buyers by falsely and fraudulently misrepresenting to the buyers that the jerseys were game used, when in fact, as the defendant well knew, the jerseys were not game used.
7. It was also a part of the scheme to defraud that the when the defendant and others re-sold many of these jerseys, they provided or caused to be provided to the buyers, certificates of authenticity that falsely and fraudulently misrepresented that the jerseys were game used jerseys.
8. It was also a part of the scheme to defraud that the defendant frequently re-sold the jerseys, or caused the jerseys to be re-sold in the name of Authentic or Historic.

The entire document can be found here...
http://www.justice.gov/usao/iln/pr/r...pr1025_01f.pdf

Wells' case is still pending.

Looking at the Authentic Sports Inc. web page from 2006 (thanks to Wayback Machine) it is interesting to see who ASI lists as their "Friends" on an October 14, 2006 snapshot

http://web.archive.org/web/200610140...n=main.Friends

Photo 1 lists "A special hello and thanks to our friends at Donruss Playoff."

That photo was listed on their site as early as October 26, 2005 and while some of these pics came and went, it was still up Dec 23, 2007

Could Wells and ASI have sold jerseys to Donruss Playoff?

Photo 2 shows "Sam Newman & Brad Wells pictured in downtown Chicago"

Samantha Newman is listed in this article as "Donruss Acquisitions Manager"

http://www.paniniamerica.net/dspNewsDetail.cfm?nid=298

According to her LinkedIn resume, she has worked for Donruss, Panini and Leaf
Acquisitions
Leaf Trading Cards
August 2011 – Present (4 months)

Licenses Acquisition Manager
Panini America, Inc.
March 2009 – June 2011 (2 years 4 months)

Entertainment Acquisitions Manager
Donruss Playoff
Privately Held; 51-200 employees; Publishing industry
August 2004 – March 2009 (4 years 8 months)

and lists under her summary

"•Obtain memorabilia for trading cards"

http://www.linkedin.com/pub/samantha-newman/5/118/68

Again, could Donruss have purchased questionable jerseys?
(Note- this photo was in the "Friends" section in 10/26/2005, but was taken down by 12/23/2007)

Photo number 3 lists "Brad Horn & Brad Wells"

Does anyone know, is this Brad Horne (name misspelled on the website) who pleaded guilty last week in the same sports memorabilia fraud case?
http://www.justice.gov/usao/iln/pr/r...pr1121_01c.pdf

Also interesting to note that in their "Museum" section, the "game-used" Shaun Alexander jersey they have listed for $4000 has the wrong font on the nameplate

http://web.archive.org/web/200609130...712&dep t=GJY

It was addressed in this thread at the time...
http://www.gameuseduniverse.com/vb_f...haun+alexander

Thoughts?
Eric

jmeekins33
10-18-2013, 08:38 PM
You are saying this in present tense and that is a strong accusation unless you meant to say "knew" which is still a fairly strong accusation since those card companies mentioned above don't seem to be mentioned as co-defendants.

I'm fairly certain the card companies had their own level of due diligence to use the jerseys in that pre-2011 timeframe and I think the card companies changed after that to a strict policy of buying only sourced from the team items and with that comes the high price tag of paying retail prices since they are doing top players.

Not sure what the policy is on vintage items as to photomatching or type of authentication so I'm just talking about current players.

I'm not trying to be disrespectful to you so please don't take it that way ,but.....

You say that things are different since 2011 and companies are getting stuff only from teams and paying huge retail prices for it. Maybe that's true but how would I as the client know that? You say that you are certain that card companies did their due diligence. Based on what? They offer jack when it comes to any kind of proof for their customers that the jerseys are real. No paper trail, no online resource to look at, no pictures, nothing.

Then you have "event worn" jersey and equipment cards. Photos exist that prove they have had players put on 20 jerseys at a time so the card companies can sell "event worn" jersey swatches. Well, technically the jerseys were worn. They were worn like a snow suit. Not exactly what collectors have in mind I would think. I've seen videos of players putting on a pair of cleats and then taking them off, putting on another pair, and then another, etc. This is not legitimate.

This whole thing is a joke on so many levels that I am shocked people are willing to spend obscene amounts of money for these cards. "Oh, but this card is numbered 1/1". Give me a break. To each their own I guess.

allstarsplus
10-18-2013, 10:35 PM
I'm not trying to be disrespectful to you so please don't take it that way ,but.....

You say that things are different since 2011 and companies are getting stuff only from teams and paying huge retail prices for it. Maybe that's true but how would I as the client know that? You say that you are certain that card companies did their due diligence. Based on what? They offer jack when it comes to any kind of proof for their customers that the jerseys are real. No paper trail, no online resource to look at, no pictures, nothing.

Then you have "event worn" jersey and equipment cards. Photos exist that prove they have had players put on 20 jerseys at a time so the card companies can sell "event worn" jersey swatches. Well, technically the jerseys were worn. They were worn like a snow suit. Not exactly what collectors have in mind I would think. I've seen videos of players putting on a pair of cleats and then taking them off, putting on another pair, and then another, etc. This is not legitimate.

This whole thing is a joke on so many levels that I am shocked people are willing to spend obscene amounts of money for these cards. "Oh, but this card is numbered 1/1". Give me a break. To each their own I guess.

I did say they did their due diligence but I'm not saying it was enough as there was obviously too much trust extended given the extreme volume of fakes.

I guess like Eric has tried to do is to get the card companies side of things. It sure would help to hear what their policies and procedures are. I don't think they have to give up their strategies on acquisitions but talk more to their authenticity and standards.

COWBOYS4EVR
10-21-2013, 12:05 PM
Great example of a cheap jersey in a card.....IMO fakest ive ever seen

Anabolicollege17
10-21-2013, 01:16 PM
Cowboy I see cards like this in the 100's on eBay every time I type game used NFL jersey in the search bar. How do card companies not know these jerseys are fake? Or do they know...and they just want to save a few dollars and fool the average joe who is clueless and wears his fake jersey thinking its real....

Or are these fake cards? Lol

Jags Fan Dan
10-21-2013, 01:42 PM
Cowboy I see cards like this in the 100's on eBay every time I type game used NFL jersey in the search bar. How do card companies not know these jerseys are fake? Or do they know...and they just want to save a few dollars and fool the average joe who is clueless and wears his fake jersey thinking its real....

Or are these fake cards? Lol
I have heard a lot of talk of people altering cards swatches to put in patch pieces etc. Not sure how difficult/easy it would be. Really, though, I fail to see why the card companies would care too much about authenticity. What kind of tree is your mulch made of?

COWBOYS4EVR
10-21-2013, 01:55 PM
As Far As I Know The More Breaks In Colors, The More The
Value Of The Card In Some Cases. In The Case Of The Pic I Posted Thats A 5 Color Break, But The Jersey Looks Like Its From A
China Fake.