PDA

View Full Version : Auction items that that show up in consecutive auctions

dtmd59
10-18-2013, 03:49 PM
What is your take on items that you watch sell in one auction only to show up again in the next catalog.

I recently bid on an item that would have been a record price for that type of item, I was outbid. The bidding pattern was suspect imo but who knows with these things as legit bidders sometimes have weird patterns too. I moved on.

Then the item shows up again in the same auction house's next catalog.

Not only that but other items from the same original consignor in auction #1 were also relisted in auction #2.

I absolutely will not be bidding anywhere close to my original bids in auction #1 but should I be bidding at all? Thoughts?

Phil316
10-18-2013, 04:05 PM
It could be that the items had a hidden reserve price and that price was not met. They might try to auction it again with a lower reserve.

dtmd59
10-18-2013, 07:37 PM
It could be that the items had a hidden reserve price and that price was not met. They might try to auction it again with a lower reserve.

Yeah, that wasn't the case on these particular auctions.

sox83cubs84
10-18-2013, 08:43 PM
It could mean severe overpricing/sky-high reserve, or it's possible that the item isn't as advertised. One auction has had a pair of NBA star jerseys in it for several months, with team employee provenance, but a quick perusal of the jerseys show them to be pro-cuts, and not of the game-used variety the original source claimed. Things like this can put the brakes on bidding real quick.

Dave Miedema

TNTtoys
10-18-2013, 11:17 PM
I would say that the most likely scenario (as others have already stated) is that the item had a hidden reserve and bidding never got that high. In cases like these, the auction house would contact the seller and either offer to return the item or run it in their next auction.

metsbats
10-19-2013, 07:16 AM
If the winning bidder reneged it could appear in the next auction.