PDA

View Full Version : GU WS observations

joelsabi
10-27-2013, 09:58 AM
Is it true that once you become a GU collector, you see things that a casual fan would not bother paying attention to. While watching yesterday's WS game I couldn't help but notice some neat items that might be coveted by collectors at our GU forum.

First items earlier in the series that sounded interesting was John Lester's fielding glove after the alleged foreign substance accusation.

In game three, I could not help but see Mizuno bats at most plate appearances. Majority of the players going to the plate were using Mizunos. I saw Kosma with a SAM bat on the batting deck so that caught my attention. But the bat I would want is the Rawlings bat of Allen Craig when he hit that critical double.

The elbow armour of Carlos Beltran and the baseball that hit him would make a nice combination.

From last night's game. If you are a Hawaiian baseball collector you have to love the hit baseball of Wong to Victorino.

The final baseball thrown by Saltalamacchia would be a cool baseball to have or even the third base after that obtrusion ruling against Middleton imho.

Is this something you were seeing too? or better yet, tell me you saw even more.

Gyro123
10-27-2013, 10:51 AM
Pretty sure you're seeing Marucci bats and not Mizunos

joelsabi
10-27-2013, 10:59 AM
Pretty sure you're seeing Marucci bats and not Mizunos

Thanks for the correction.

dougiedshow
10-27-2013, 12:54 PM
Pedroia's helmet looks pretty sick. Also, Yadi's busted catchers mitt would be a dream item. He had to change gloves after tearing his in game 2, a steady diet of 98s is hard on a glove. Also, I wouldn't mind kozmas glove, since he's not using it anyways.

jbean023
10-27-2013, 02:02 PM
One of the biggest standouts to me was the Ortiz bat with neon green tape pounded and HR bat.

Wrigley2010
10-27-2013, 02:51 PM
One of the biggest standouts to me was the Ortiz bat with neon green tape pounded and HR bat.

A few bats had interesting colors of tape on them but the Ortiz was certainly the most flamboyant. Like Joel said as a GU collector you watch the game in an entirely different way. You see all the little nuances and for me it really adds to the experience. I couldn't tell you how many times I paused the game so I could take a closer look at what type of bat a player was using or if his cleats had his name on the tongue and even once caught myself searching to see if I could find any MLB holo's already placed on bat knobs. While it does make the experience that much more enjoyable for me it sure does take me A LOT longer to watch the game and it's even harder to find someone who wants to watch it with me. ;)

HawaiiSportsNut
10-27-2013, 06:16 PM
From last night's game. If you are a Hawaiian baseball collector you have to love the hit baseball of Wong to Victorino.

I would love to add the Wong to Victorino ball to my collection.

dangerzone79
10-27-2013, 07:30 PM
Well, Ortiz just shattered the green taped bat. Oh well! Hahaha. Doesn't he realize we want these things?!?!

HawaiiSportsNut
10-27-2013, 08:47 PM
Well, Ortiz just shattered the green taped bat. Oh well! Hahaha. Doesn't he realize we want these things?!?!

It's probably going to be on the MLB auction site at the conclusion of the WS.

Sotystl
10-29-2013, 10:27 AM
The bright colored tapes/grips are called Lizard Skins, i wouldnt be surprised if we see them more often next year.

MercyMe78
10-29-2013, 04:11 PM
The bright colored tapes/grips are called Lizard Skins, i wouldnt be surprised if we see them more often next year.

I have a Hunter Pence bat from this year when he hit his grand slam that has the lizard skin... at first i thought it was bicycle tape.. its actually quite soft

flota89
10-29-2013, 05:15 PM
Don't know if anyone noticed this, but Ortiz gave away a bat with orange tape after he exited the game last night. When he was replaced, he went to the dugout, came out with the bat, and scanned the crowd by the batter's circle until he found a guy to give it to.

Sotystl
10-30-2013, 07:56 AM
I have a Hunter Pence bat from this year when he hit his grand slam that has the lizard skin... at first i thought it was bicycle tape.. its actually quite soft

Yeah, they make them in different thicknesses. I have a few buddies i play softball with that use them.

rj_lucas
10-30-2013, 08:33 AM
I wouldn't be surprised if MLB prohibited the use of green tape, at the request of the broadcasters. Quite a few ballparks, like Busch, use video 'green screens' on either side of home plate to display ad banners to the television audience.

I noticed that when Ortiz stepped out of the box, the green handle of his bat turned orange for a second as it picked up the content of the ad banner. It was actually kind of cool.

On second thought, maybe MLB should require the use of green tape on all bats and charge advertisers to have their ads displayed on the bat handles. :rolleyes:

onlyalbert
10-30-2013, 09:50 AM
Is it true that once you become a GU collector, you see things that a casual fan would not bother paying attention to. While watching yesterday's WS game I couldn't help but notice some neat items that might be coveted by collectors at our GU forum.

First items earlier in the series that sounded interesting was John Lester's fielding glove after the alleged foreign substance accusation.

In game three, I could not help but see Mizuno bats at most plate appearances. Majority of the players going to the plate were using Mizunos. I saw Kosma with a SAM bat on the batting deck so that caught my attention. But the bat I would want is the Rawlings bat of Allen Craig when he hit that critical double.

The elbow armour of Carlos Beltran and the baseball that hit him would make a nice combination.

The final baseball thrown by Saltalamacchia would be a cool baseball to have or even the third base after that obtrusion ruling against Middleton imho.

Is this something you were seeing too? or better yet, tell me you saw even more.

I know the baseball and third base from the end of game 3 is availabe from MLB. The ball has an offer of 4K on it and the base is at 5K but not sold yet by MLB. I think they are looking for more offers first. THe ball is auth EK 859027

mulliganman
10-30-2013, 06:29 PM
I know the baseball and third base from the end of game 3 is availabe from MLB. The ball has an offer of 4K on it and the base is at 5K but not sold yet by MLB. I think they are looking for more offers first. THe ball is auth EK 859027

Do you have a link to the auctions? I couldn't find the baseball one.

onlyalbert
10-30-2013, 09:54 PM
Do you have a link to the auctions? I couldn't find the baseball one.

No link. Info from Highland Mint.

joelsabi
10-30-2013, 10:12 PM
breakdown on what the batters used.