PDA

View Full Version : Munson Bat On Ebay W Mastro Cert

bgold
10-28-2013, 06:07 PM
I don't know the seller nor do I know if he is a member, cheers4piazza.

He has some nice items, all of which look nice and Kosher, specifically, shocker, some really nice Piazza jerseys, but this bat has a Mastro COA, as we all know Mastro cooked up some serious fraud across the board; is the item, with link below, authentic?

Furthermore, cheers4piazza does not mention anything about Mastro's "brush" with the law and collectors, including his newly minted 5 year prison plea deal, while not exactly writing any background on Mastro and Mastronet which could be used to prop up the COA, he doesn't do the opposite either.

How ethical is this in the collector universe, especially with a coveted item like a Thurman Munson game used bat?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1973-75-Thurman-Munson-NY-Yankees-Game-Used-Baseball-Bat-MastroNet-COA-/141102543047?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item20da5df0c7

mbrieve
10-28-2013, 07:00 PM
I don't know the seller nor do I know if he is a member, cheers4piazza.

He has some nice items, all of which look nice and Kosher, specifically, shocker, some really nice Piazza jerseys, but this bat has a Mastro COA, as we all know Mastro cooked up some serious fraud across the board; is the item, with link below, authentic?

Furthermore, cheers4piazza does not mention anything about Mastro's "brush" with the law and collectors, including his newly minted 5 year prison plea deal, while not exactly writing any background on Mastro and Mastronet which could be used to prop up the COA, he doesn't do the opposite either.

How ethical is this in the collector universe, especially with a coveted item like a Thurman Munson game used bat?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1973-75-Thurman-Munson-NY-Yankees-Game-Used-Baseball-Bat-MastroNet-COA-/141102543047?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item20da5df0c7

Did you contact the seller prior to making this post? If so, I would love to hear how he replied.

Forum Rules

16. In instances where a forum member is identifying an item in the hobby they believe to have issues, the poster should clearly state their findings in the form of an opinion and provide adequate rationale for why they believe there is an issue. When possible, we recommend that the poster questioning an item attempt to contact the seller of the item and allow at least 24 hours for the seller to reply before posting. This will prevent postings that may be generated based on misunderstandings of an item. In addition, while this forum is designed to help educate collectors, we will not allow comments that accuse entities in the hobby of participating in any form of criminal wrong-doing. Any posts suggesting criminal wrong-doing should be brought to the attention of the moderators immediately.

earlywynnfan
10-28-2013, 07:22 PM
Since it was Dave Bushing who looked at the bat, I'd be pretty comfortable with it.

I, personally, don't think the seller needs to discuss Mastro's law troubles. I think the bat should stand for itself. Perhaps I'd think differently if it were a card that could've been trimmed or something.

Ken

bgold
10-28-2013, 07:52 PM
Did you contact the seller prior to making this post? If so, I would love to hear how he replied.

Forum Rules

16. In instances where a forum member is identifying an item in the hobby they believe to have issues, the poster should clearly state their findings in the form of an opinion and provide adequate rationale for why they believe there is an issue. When possible, we recommend that the poster questioning an item attempt to contact the seller of the item and allow at least 24 hours for the seller to reply before posting. This will prevent postings that may be generated based on misunderstandings of an item. In addition, while this forum is designed to help educate collectors, we will not allow comments that accuse entities in the hobby of participating in any form of criminal wrong-doing. Any posts suggesting criminal wrong-doing should be brought to the attention of the moderators immediately.

Accusing the seller of misconduct is misconstruing the post.

I do not accuse the seller of fraud or criminal wrong-doing. I in fact went out of my way to point out that the rest of the seller's items look great.

I did ask for those who contain the knowledge in terms of identifying a Munson gamer to offer their opinion.

I used the item as a case study for what is ethically acceptable to collectors when disclosing authentication, specifically in a case of a higher end game used item.

There is no malice or vindictive attitude in the post.

But, for future reference, I will ask the seller as per the rules. This in no way was meant to hurt cheers4piazza, but for those who collect higher end items, thus experienced collectors, to voice their opinion.

bgold
10-28-2013, 07:58 PM
Seller has been contacted and will update when replied.

metsbats
10-28-2013, 08:49 PM
"Furthermore, cheers4piazza does not mention anything about Mastro's "brush" with the law and collectors, including his newly minted 5 year prison plea deal, while not exactly writing any background on Mastro and Mastronet which could be used to prop up the COA, he doesn't do the opposite either"

It would be very unfair to label every piece of memorabilia with a Mastronet COA to be fraudulent or questionable. It would serve no purpose to mention Mastronet's problems as a seller and the items should stand by itself as Ken mentioned.

I personally would judge the item by itself and not be influenced by the COA regardless of who issued it.