Do people think you're crazy for collecting?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Takuleechch
    Banned
    • Jul 2011

Do people think you're crazy for collecting?

Do friends, family, even yourself at times think you're crazy for investing so much time, money etc into the hobby?
    Just wondering because someone recently told me I was pretty much an idiot for doing it lol. I'm not wealthy so get what I can when I can and I guess that played into his mindset that it's not worth it if you can't get "big" items

Oh well either way I think it's awesome!
    Attached Files
  • michaellechner
    • Feb 2013

Re: Do people think you're crazy for collecting?

I've experienced this with my family.

My brother thinks I'm wasting my money, and that I should put it towards things that "really matter".

I've actually considered starting a thread like this in the past.

Of course not everyone is unsupportive, but it certainly can be discouraging when they are.

Comment

• Takuleechch
      Banned
      • Jul 2011

Originally posted by michaellechner
      I've experienced this with my family.

My brother thinks I'm wasting my money, and that I should put it towards things that "really matter".

I've actually considered starting a thread like this in the past.

Of course not everyone is unsupportive, but it certainly can be discouraging when they are.
      Yea funny right! My wife hates it
      What's funny though...a forum member is actually the one that sent those messages to me. That's why it got me thinking.

Comment

• rufusandherschel
        • Mar 2011

"One person's trash is another person's treasure." Sound familiar?

Comment

• beef
          • Dec 2011

I've finally gotten my girlfriend to understand why I want to collect stuff but she still doesn't get why I'd want dirty jerseys. She always tells me to wash them lol

Comment

• cjw
            • Oct 2006

It's interesting. My wife never understood my passion for collecting "old, stinky jerseys and equipment" until a $26 purchase turned into a $8K sale and we went on vacation. Now she puts up with my obsession!
            WANTED -1977 Toronto Blue Jays game jersey

chris@pacmedia.ca

Comment

• HawaiiSportsNut
              • Dec 2009

Quite a few of my friends think that I have gone bonkers with my Kurt Suzuki collection. The best part of this was my wife would always say "NOT ANOTHER ONE!", now she gets excited when we add a new item to the collection, However she still complains about how much it all cost.
              sigpic

Comment

• ChrisCavalier
                Paid Users
                • Jan 1970

My wife was born and raised in China. That said, she totally understands why grown men here spend their money to buy other people's used jerseys, pants, shoes, gloves, etc and turn them into collections.

Well....now that I think about it, she's never actually said that but I'm sure she does
                Christopher Cavalier
                Consignment Director - Heritage Auctions

Comment

• sox83cubs84
                  Banned
                  • Apr 2009

Back in the 1980s and early 1990s, before I had a falling out with my two older brothers, they would routinely dis my game-used collecting, not because of what it was in itself, but for the fact that it didn't make me a multi-millionaire (which they were nowhere close to being either).

After another swipe taken at a family event, I then posed them a question. I asked them "Most people desire fame and fortune as part of their lives. I admit I don't have the fortune, but, in my hobby, I definitely have the fame. Which one do you guys have?" The fact is, they had neither, and the question stunned them to the point that their attitudes about my endeavors totally changed.

Dave Miedema

Comment

• jtnatalierica
                    • Jun 2006

This is called a HOBBY. People collect things, anything. Earrings, vases, state spoons, coins, etc. Ask your brother if he can even spell HOBBY and spot him the HO. What if someone bowls in a league. Not a cheap night out. To do what, knock down some pins? What if people go out to bars with friends once a month regularly, to do what, pour alcohol down their throat? What if people go parachuting, for what? To hope the chute opens before hitting the ground? Most people like to do things to keep busy in life. Most everything beyond working is a deterrent to going insane. For those to quantify what someone else LIKES to do in their spare time, qualifies as being a MORON. Fat, dumb and stupid is not a hobby, it's a trait of life. Everybody knows a moron, whether outside the house or inside the family. Nuff said

Comment

• carbonrosa
                      • Jun 2012

Originally posted by Takuleechch
                      Yea funny right! My wife hates it
                      What's funny though...a forum member is actually the one that sent those messages to me. That's why it got me thinking.
                      What I'm curiosus about is why a forum member would question why you collect with such negativity when I'm sure he collects himself?

Comment

• beaglegypsy003
                        • Mar 2010

Friends would question my hobby of collecting University of Hawaii alumni gamers, programs, etc. But over the last couple of months I've been setting up a room to display part of my collection. When they see photos of some of the displays they change their minds and think it is pretty neat. Some still cannot understand the amount spent. That will probably nwver change.

Comment

• paul457
                          • Dec 2012

I used to collect sports cards heavily. I guarantee that my collection isn't worth anywhere near what I spent on it.

So now I find myself in the same situation today, only now I'm collecting dirty laundry, that costs a lot more...

So personally, I think I'm crazy for spending the money I do on GU stuff. I can only imagine what my friends and family secretly think.
                          WTB -
                          Rob Gronkowski GU / GI jerseys
                          Patriots GU / GI red throwback or silver jerseys
                          Jose Canseco A's GU jersey

Comment

• sox83cubs84
                            Banned
                            • Apr 2009

Originally posted by jtnatalierica
                            This is called a HOBBY. People collect things, anything. Earrings, vases, state spoons, coins, etc. Ask your brother if he can even spell HOBBY and spot him the HO. What if someone bowls in a league. Not a cheap night out. To do what, knock down some pins? What if people go out to bars with friends once a month regularly, to do what, pour alcohol down their throat? What if people go parachuting, for what? To hope the chute opens before hitting the ground? Most people like to do things to keep busy in life. Most everything beyond working is a deterrent to going insane. For those to quantify what someone else LIKES to do in their spare time, qualifies as being a MORON. Fat, dumb and stupid is not a hobby, it's a trait of life. Everybody knows a moron, whether outside the house or inside the family. Nuff said
                            +1

Dave M.

Comment

• 3arod13
                              • Apr 2006

Originally posted by cjw
                              It's interesting. My wife never understood my passion for collecting "old, stinky jerseys and equipment" until a $26 purchase turned into a $8K sale and we went on vacation. Now she puts up with my obsession!
                              Same here. When I started selling a few things and used the money for buying things for around our home, she now thought it was awesome. Unfortunatley, she now says, "when are you going to sell some stuff, so we can buy this or that." I created a monster!!
                              Regards, Tony

sigpic

~I'm sorry, I can't hear you....my World Series Ring is making too much NOISE! - Alex Rodriguez~

Comment

Working...