PDA

View Full Version : Upper Deck confirm fake coas

Takuleechch
11-15-2013, 01:24 AM
Started seeing some Michael Jordan jerseys with UDA coas about a month ago but the autos looked a little different to me, especially the "M". I thought it was weird but hey it had UDA certification. I bid on one but it was removed by eBay. Another went up with similar auto. I bid and then asked the seller for the coa# and he blocked me from bidding without replying. I noticed they were all coming from 3 sellers from Oregon and that the sticker numbers from all 3 sellers were all after each other - one had 51970 another 72 another 74. I thought that was odd. Others started showing up. One sticker only had 4 numbers after the letters - the UDA guy told me "our items have 5 numbers after the letters.
None of the sticker numbers showed up on UDAs online database so I called.
The guy told me "he cannot confirm the authenticity of any of the hologram numbers". I asked if there was any way they may not be added yet and he said "no". I asked if that meant they wearers me and he said "I'm sure you can put two and two together"
I've started to see the same style auto pop up more since then. Not sure if they originate from Oregon but the signature style is all the same.
Anyone know if it's just a UDA mistake, if maybe a Flight School employee got these signed but UDA didn't register them etc etc. I'm Tryna find some sort of explanation but can't and UDA pretty much said these are fake.
Here's pics

Takuleechch
11-15-2013, 01:25 AM
Some more

Takuleechch
11-15-2013, 01:28 AM
And some more....

Takuleechch
11-15-2013, 01:30 AM
Sorry just noticed a typo. It should say:
"I asked if that meant THEY WERE FAKE and he said "I'm sure you can put two and two together"

allstarsplus
11-15-2013, 07:52 AM
Holy Spit Batman! I hope Upper Deck and the FBI are on this! This is really bad for the hobby. I'm glad you posted this up. Whoever is doing this has no fear of jail or Operation Bullpen or those caught in the recent FBI arrests and convictions of JO, Wells, Gernay, etc.

This is why 3 to 6 months in jail may not be deterrent enough!

:mad:

joelsabi
11-15-2013, 07:54 AM
Holy Spit Batman! I hope Upper Deck and the FBI are on this! This is really bad for the hobby. I'm glad you posted this up. Whoever is doing this has no fear of jail or Operation Bullpen or those caught in the recent FBI arrests and convictions of JO, Wells, Gernay, etc.

This is why 3 to 6 months in jail may not be deterrent enough!

:mad:

so true

UDA 101
http://sports.upperdeck.com/memorabilia/hologram_lookup.aspx
trust but verify

allstarsplus
11-15-2013, 07:56 AM
None of the sticker numbers showed up on UDAs online database so I called.

This is where UDA has really dropped the ball. They failed to upload 1,000's of autographs in their database and that isn't a red flag to some collectors if the hologram and COA looks right.

joelsabi
11-15-2013, 08:42 AM
This is where UDA has really dropped the ball. They failed to upload 1,000's of autographs in their database and that isn't a red flag to some collectors if the hologram and COA looks right.

Yes, you need to call (800)551-8220 if item is older than 2002 besides knowing what the holograms look like.

Takuleechch
11-15-2013, 06:56 PM
If anyone has any insight on this it would be appreciated
I mean surely Jordan's autograph would deviate to this way constantly when there's no other such examples

joelsabi
11-15-2013, 07:09 PM
If anyone has any insight on this it would be appreciated
I mean surely Jordan's autograph would deviate to this way constantly when there's no other such examples

http://www.rareair23.com/jordanchronology.html

Takuleechch
11-15-2013, 08:01 PM
http://www.rareair23.com/jordanchronology.html

Not sure why you posted that
I'm saying the auto style in the pics I posted have only been showing up recently and none have been deemed authentic by UDA

joelsabi
11-15-2013, 08:18 PM
Not sure why you posted that
I'm saying the auto style in the pics I posted have only been showing up recently and none have been deemed authentic by UDA

it is a resource on what authentic autograph are. you may want to contact the owner of the website so he can put it in his forgery section. i just not interested enough to find that information on the that site. maybe he is interested in this auto style.

to me your most important finding was the hologram numbers and just being on the lookout for numbers in chain of bad holograms is a great assistance, but those autographs are terrible looking and hard not to think they are authentic, imho.

joelsabi
11-15-2013, 08:25 PM
it is a resource on what authentic autograph are. you may want to contact the owner of the website so he can put it in his forgery section. i just not interested enough to find that information on the that site. maybe he is interested in this auto style.

to me your most important finding was the hologram numbers and just being on the lookout for numbers in chain of bad holograms is a great assistance, but those autographs are terrible looking and hard not to think they are authentic, imho.

opps hard to think they are authentic.

Takuleechch
11-16-2013, 05:37 PM
I contacted Darren who runs rareair23.com and sent him two of the images. He replied:
"I don't like either. Both have similar mistakes Unlikely for MJ to make those same mistakes on both pieces..."

I then sent him the link to this thread and he said:
"Yes I agree they are all bad And done by the same hand.."

I asked if I could quote him on the thread and he said
"Yes absolutely. Let everybody know that I said they are all Forgeries with bogus UDA stickers etc"

sportscentury
11-18-2013, 10:20 AM
If you have not already done so, you may want to contact Gabe Garcia at Upper Deck and make sure he is aware of this situation. His # is 760-529-3695.