PDA

View Full Version : Favre helmet on SCP

helmets
11-15-2013, 08:14 AM
As I was drawing up the papers to mortgage the farm to bid on this helmet and add it as my Grail of my Packer helmet collection...I noticed the high chinstrap snap holes on the top of the helmet. " Wait a minute, Favre never wore those on a Riddell..." was my thought.

Can someone show me a photo of Favre with high mount holes in 1995? his 1994 helmet did not have them. In addition that helmet had the Riddell printed trademark on the rear and a different warning label. His '96 helmet didn't have them, and they went to the mini warning label that year. In 1993, he had the high mounts, but that was a Schutt helmet, and the high mount was standard.

Could it have been a backup? I thought the backup was sourced through Willie Roaf and sold through AMI a year ago. Could it have been a practice helmet? Looked at several practice photos from 1995 and no holes.

Until I find a photo, I will continue the hunt and keep the farm...

jhunt28
11-15-2013, 08:52 AM
I have echoed the exact same sentiment in another post. You will not find any high hookup chinstrap holes in any photos, from 1994 until 2007. The number 4A is written in the helmet up for auction, so I'm assuming this was a practice or backup helmet.

I'm the one who bought the helmet in AMI, and I have been able to match the decal placement to the games in the beginning of the season. It's hard to photo match any distinguishing characteristics from the photos available from 1996. But I have been able to videomatch the helmet to the Pro Bowl game played in 1997. Brett switched to a helmet with double clips towards the middle of December 1996, and wore this helmet through the Super Bowl in '97.

Regardless, I have also tried to match both Reggie Whites, the Warren Moon Vikings helmets and the Peyton Manning Colts helmet. I cannot match any of them, and all seem to have their own faults.

There is an interesting Marino helmet that I think looks good for the beginning of the 1991 season. I still need to research more, but looks like the Dolphins changed the rear number decal position and styling midway through the '91 season, so this helmet has the possibility of being legit. The only bizarre statement is included in the description "Of note, the jaw pads and mask appear to have been added after the fact, and the chinstrap is missing".

ivo610
11-15-2013, 08:58 AM
As I was drawing up the papers to mortgage the farm to bid on this helmet and add it as my Grail of my Packer helmet collection...I noticed the high chinstrap snap holes on the top of the helmet. " Wait a minute, Favre never wore those on a Riddell..." was my thought.

Can someone show me a photo of Favre with high mount holes in 1995? his 1994 helmet did not have them. In addition that helmet had the Riddell printed trademark on the rear and a different warning label. His '96 helmet didn't have them, and they went to the mini warning label that year. In 1993, he had the high mounts, but that was a Schutt helmet, and the high mount was standard.

Could it have been a backup? I thought the backup was sourced through Willie Roaf and sold through AMI a year ago. Could it have been a practice helmet? Looked at several practice photos from 1995 and no holes.

Until I find a photo, I will continue the hunt and keep the farm...

I had some concerns with it as well. The paperwork doesn't mean much IMO. What are your thoughts on the white?

kneerat
11-15-2013, 10:16 AM
Red Batty has been pretty accessible in the past, so I would recommend someone who is interested in the helmet to call him. You can call the Packers switchboard and get directed to his voicemail at Lambeau.

jonschuette
11-19-2013, 09:47 AM
Red Batty is a class act as I have actually sent him an item to look at. It was a jersey and he took it to the seamstress also.