PDA

View Full Version : Should I get it signed?

Tlewi11
11-21-2013, 02:45 PM
While I'm a die hard White Sox fan, my son is all about the Cardinals. He just turned 11, and I took him to his first World Series game this year (Game 3 in St. Louis - the "obstruction" game).

Fast forward, this past week, the Cardinals auctioned off a bunch of used jerseys from this game, and I won the David Freese gamer.

This weekend, David is going to be at the Sun-Times show in Chicago, so I was wondering what you all thought about if I should get the jersey signed.

I never plan on selling it since it is a one of a kind keepsake from a wonderful day I spent with my son. My plan is to give it to him when he gets older, as a reminder of our great day together.

If I do get it signed, should I get it on the number in paint pen? On the front in sharpie?

Just wondering what you would do.

I usually don't get game used jerseys signed but I'm thinking this one might be an exception...

Thanks!

Steeleraddict
11-21-2013, 04:47 PM
One of my childhood friends has the exact same scenario except the Miami heat finals and his son is 12.
Def get it signed!!!
Could tell u better if I knew the color of the jersey and the numbers...for contrast with the pen.
But def get at least the players name signed with maybe, probably world series 2013

RMoody
11-21-2013, 04:50 PM
I actually did this for my father, as a gift. We went to a Jets / Cards game and I ended up buying David Harris' gloves from the game to frame with his ticket ( which I artfully stole post game) and a photo of us a friend took at the game.

The signature doesn't really matter because as you said this is a sentimental item regardless. So being autographed is only going to make it more visually attractive to an onlooker.

My recommendation and what I did was see if they will allow inscriptions, have the player either sign it to your son or with the game title or date. Personally, without that or anything less isnt worth the investment of the autograph.

Thankfully David signed the gloves not only to my father but also dated them (since I asked prior he did request to see the Jets COA) but he still refused to signed game used or game worn.....which is common for most players.

The fortunate thing for you, the signing is now and available. It took me about 2 years to put everything together for this. Keep that in mind, it's no promise the player stays with a team or has more signings.

dangerzone79
11-21-2013, 04:58 PM
Get it signed. End of story. If you have a chance to do it, why not? Makes it more special. Great idea too, by the way.

Phil316
11-21-2013, 05:10 PM
Great stories guys.

I personally would not get it signed. I would get a signed picture of him wearing the jersey from the game. That way you can make a cool display for your son while preserving the jersey in its original form.

Keep in mind there is no right or wrong way, just personal tastes.

Neely8
11-22-2013, 01:16 PM
Get it signed. End of story. If you have a chance to do it, why not? Makes it more special. Great idea too, by the way.

Why not? Because that's not the way it was on the field. I can't stand signed game worn jerseys and do not understand the desire to get them signed when there are so many other things you can get signed.

Tlewi11
11-22-2013, 02:24 PM
Thanks for the feedback everyone.

The reasons posted for and against the autograph are exactly why I'm having trouble figuring out what I'm going to do.

The signing is tomorrow, and I'll probably end up flipping a coin on whether to bring the jersey or not.

I do appreciate those who responded. Clearly shows that there is a clear line between the collecting community on this topic.

Neely8
11-22-2013, 04:16 PM
Another option would be to get it signed on the inside of the jersey if you really need to do so. That way you can still get it signed but the jersey won't outwardly appear any different then it was when worn on the field.

Sotystl
11-22-2013, 04:20 PM
Just please for gods sake get it signed on the number.

Cool jersey, huge cardinals fain here. Ill be at the chicago show this weekend as well, driving up with a buddy.

Hope its a cool show.

xpress34
11-22-2013, 04:53 PM
Too bad it's not his Game 6 jersey. His last game as a Cardinal being that he was just traded to the Angels.

icollectDCsports
11-22-2013, 09:17 PM
I generally prefer jerseys not to be signed, but I might think differently in your situation with the use in a World Series game that you and your son attended. Like someone else said, I don't like the idea of altering the appearance of what was worn on the field. That's why, if a baseball jersey is to be signed at all, I prefer it to be signed down on the tail next to the tags, which is an area that's not visible on the field. You could have him sign his name and "Worn in 2013 World Series," or "2013 World Series Jersey," or something like that (hopefully not so huge to be distracting from the overall jersey). Just one more option to consider. Whatever you decide, I think it's a great thing to be able to give your son. Enjoy it together.