Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • metsbats
    • Nov 2005

Ray Knight 86 World series Game 6 bat

There is a game used Ray Knight bat on the current GF auction which has been inscribed by Knight attributing it to Game 6 of the 1986 World Series.

This bat was actually in the Mets HOF on display two years ago and I had my reservations then mainly because of the taped handle.

So I went the Game 6 DVD and these are stills from each of Knight's at bats as well as the bat on auction.

Knight used the same Worth model bat for each of his 5 ABs during Game 6 however this bat had heavy pine tar on the handle with no tape. Additionally the actual Game 6 bat had a cupped barrel end while the auction bat is uncupped. You would also notice the marks on the bat barrel are different between the Game 6 bat and the auction bat but all comparisons can pretty much stop after seeing the barrel end.

Needless to say this is disappointing to see yet another 86 Met inscribe a bat (the Mookie Wison S44 HB bat ) or a jersey ( the 86 Gary Carter home pinstripe which was incidentally also on display at the Mets HOF Museum) implying use in the 86 World Series when it simply was not true.
    Attached Files
    metsbats86@aol.com

Always looking for 1973,1986,1988,1999,2000,2006 game used Mets post season and Bobby M. Jones and Ed Hearn NY Mets game used bats.
  • DoctorLoomis
    • Nov 2007

Re: Ray Knight 86 World series Game 6 bat

Sad sad sad.....
    ALWAYS buying PHOTO MATCHED Marcus Allen and Anfernee Hardaway jerseys. Also always buying Tennessee Volunteer jerseys and anything Tony Delk.

Comment

• bgold
      • Mar 2013

Originally posted by metsbats
      There is a game used Ray Knight bat on the current GF auction which has been inscribed by Knight attributing it to Game 6 of the 1986 World Series.

This bat was actually in the Mets HOF on display two years ago and I had my reservations then
      David, I'm not 100% this was the bat that was on display at the Mets HOF a while back, the one in the museum had the inscription on the front of the barrel if I'm not mistaken. Plus the collector who owns the bat, to my knowledge, has not sold it.

Also, bat is no longer up on the Gf website.

Comment

• bgold
        • Mar 2013

This is the second time this year this 86 WS attributed Knight bat has gone up for auction, was wondering if it was kosher or not (25).

Comment

• metsbats
          • Nov 2005

Originally posted by bgold
          David, I'm not 100% this was the bat that was on display at the Mets HOF a while back, the one in the museum had the inscription on the front of the barrel if I'm not mistaken. Plus the collector who owns the bat, to my knowledge, has not sold it.

Also, bat is no longer up on the Gf website.

I sent over the Game 6 stills in an email to Richie at GFA this morning.
          metsbats86@aol.com

Always looking for 1973,1986,1988,1999,2000,2006 game used Mets post season and Bobby M. Jones and Ed Hearn NY Mets game used bats.

Comment

• metsbats
            • Nov 2005

Ben,

Scroll down on this page. It's was the same bat at the Mets HOF.

David
            metsbats86@aol.com

Comment

• metsbats
              • Nov 2005

The bad Carter WS jersey was still on display (all they did was turn it around so the inscription was hidden).
              metsbats86@aol.com

Comment

• metsbats
                • Nov 2005

This is the second time this year this 86 WS attributed Knight bat has gone up for auction, was wondering if it was kosher or not (25).

http://www.juliensauctions.com/image...tml#/20/zoomed

These are two different bats.
                metsbats86@aol.com

Comment

• bgold
                  • Mar 2013

I see, although I remember the Knight bat displayed horizontally, not vertically. But again, as this post shows, I'm wrong again. Perhaps it was moved around perhaps? I emailed the collector who last had the Knight bat, curious as to what he has to say.

Comment

• bgold
                    • Mar 2013

Yes David, the second bat and the aforementioned game 6 bat are different items, forgot to make that clear. The one offered via Juliens, the Monica bat, is the one I was referring to in terms of its authenticity as a Ray Knight WS game used bat. The story is very nice, but it doesn't mean the gentleman was given a WS used bat just because he attended a WS game, that's not concrete enough; I'd love to see the psa/dna letter though...

Comment

• metsbats
                      • Nov 2005

I see, although I remember the Knight bat displayed horizontally, not vertically. But again, as this post shows, I'm wrong again. Perhaps it was moved around perhaps? I emailed the collector who last had the Knight bat, curious as to what he has to say.

I think you are right it was displayed horizontally at one point. I remember seeing it that way.

I think you are right it was displayed horizontally at one point. I remember seeing it that way.
                      metsbats86@aol.com

Comment

Working...