PDA

View Full Version : Ray Knight 86 World series Game 6 bat

metsbats
11-21-2013, 03:21 PM
There is a game used Ray Knight bat on the current GF auction which has been inscribed by Knight attributing it to Game 6 of the 1986 World Series.

This bat was actually in the Mets HOF on display two years ago and I had my reservations then mainly because of the taped handle.

So I went the Game 6 DVD and these are stills from each of Knight's at bats as well as the bat on auction.

Knight used the same Worth model bat for each of his 5 ABs during Game 6 however this bat had heavy pine tar on the handle with no tape. Additionally the actual Game 6 bat had a cupped barrel end while the auction bat is uncupped. You would also notice the marks on the bat barrel are different between the Game 6 bat and the auction bat but all comparisons can pretty much stop after seeing the barrel end.

Needless to say this is disappointing to see yet another 86 Met inscribe a bat (the Mookie Wison S44 HB bat ) or a jersey ( the 86 Gary Carter home pinstripe which was incidentally also on display at the Mets HOF Museum) implying use in the 86 World Series when it simply was not true.

DoctorLoomis
11-21-2013, 04:00 PM
Sad sad sad.....

bgold
11-21-2013, 05:06 PM
There is a game used Ray Knight bat on the current GF auction which has been inscribed by Knight attributing it to Game 6 of the 1986 World Series.

This bat was actually in the Mets HOF on display two years ago and I had my reservations then

David, I'm not 100% this was the bat that was on display at the Mets HOF a while back, the one in the museum had the inscription on the front of the barrel if I'm not mistaken. Plus the collector who owns the bat, to my knowledge, has not sold it.

Also, bat is no longer up on the Gf website.

bgold
11-21-2013, 05:11 PM
This is the second time this year this 86 WS attributed Knight bat has gone up for auction, was wondering if it was kosher or not (25).

http://www.juliensauctions.com/images/auctions/2013/icons-and-idols-sports/flipbook/index.html#/20/zoomed

metsbats
11-21-2013, 05:28 PM
David, I'm not 100% this was the bat that was on display at the Mets HOF a while back, the one in the museum had the inscription on the front of the barrel if I'm not mistaken. Plus the collector who owns the bat, to my knowledge, has not sold it.

Also, bat is no longer up on the Gf website.

I sent over the Game 6 stills in an email to Richie at GFA this morning.

metsbats
11-21-2013, 05:40 PM
Ben,

Scroll down on this page. It's was the same bat at the Mets HOF.

http://www.stadiumpage.com/stpages/citi_hof.html

David

metsbats
11-21-2013, 05:41 PM
The bad Carter WS jersey was still on display (all they did was turn it around so the inscription was hidden).

metsbats
11-21-2013, 05:46 PM
This is the second time this year this 86 WS attributed Knight bat has gone up for auction, was wondering if it was kosher or not (25).

http://www.juliensauctions.com/images/auctions/2013/icons-and-idols-sports/flipbook/index.html#/20/zoomed

These are two different bats.

bgold
11-21-2013, 05:47 PM
I see, although I remember the Knight bat displayed horizontally, not vertically. But again, as this post shows, I'm wrong again. Perhaps it was moved around perhaps? I emailed the collector who last had the Knight bat, curious as to what he has to say.

bgold
11-21-2013, 05:53 PM
Yes David, the second bat and the aforementioned game 6 bat are different items, forgot to make that clear. The one offered via Juliens, the Monica bat, is the one I was referring to in terms of its authenticity as a Ray Knight WS game used bat. The story is very nice, but it doesn't mean the gentleman was given a WS used bat just because he attended a WS game, that's not concrete enough; I'd love to see the psa/dna letter though...

metsbats
11-21-2013, 05:59 PM
I see, although I remember the Knight bat displayed horizontally, not vertically. But again, as this post shows, I'm wrong again. Perhaps it was moved around perhaps? I emailed the collector who last had the Knight bat, curious as to what he has to say.

I think you are right it was displayed horizontally at one point. I remember seeing it that way.

I think you are right it was displayed horizontally at one point. I remember seeing it that way.